Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ECCM Package and "dumb-fire" missles  (Read 3812 times)

6830551a

• Ensign
    • View Profile
ECCM Package and "dumb-fire" missles
« on: May 30, 2020, 02:15:58 AM »

I was wondering if the ECCM Package really did anything for dumb-fire missles like the Typoon Reaper Launcher?

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: ECCM Package and "dumb-fire" missles
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 02:58:17 AM »

Yes, it will increase their top speed and acceleration just like it does for guided missiles (in addition to the other buffs that only guided missiles get obviously).

6830551a

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 03:08:05 AM »

I did think it increased their speed but I thought there may be something else to it? the OP cost doesn't seem worth it for loadouts with only dumbfire missiles.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 03:11:42 AM »

I personally see it as a very niche hullmod, obviously not worth for anything with missiles. It greatly improves the Hurricane, helps with Harpoons and Pilums, aaand that's it? I don't think I've ever used it for another missile weapon.
Please don't take me too seriously.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 03:20:24 AM »

It increases top speed and acceleration by 10% and 100% respectively. Often worth it for dumbfire rockets? Probably not, but that still will substantially reduce time to target.

But all the other stuff it does, really helps guided missiles a lot, in addition to those two aspects above.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 04:32:45 AM »

More than once I've been caught out by high level bounty fleets rocking ECCM Reapers.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 09:35:22 AM »

Its one of those hullmods that seems bad right up until you are on the other side of it. Like any missile hullmod its really only worth it on ships that have lots of missiles by default, and those ships tend to have a lot of competing OP interests in the first place, so it can be left by the wayside.

Example: Dominator. 3 Medium missiles isn't bad on a cruiser, but putting 3 harpoons, racks, and eccm is a lot of OP. I usually drop the ECCM: the harpoons are already going to hit destroyers+, especially if I have a missile officer in the ship already boosting maneuverability. However its an essential hullmod for Hurricanes and makes them incredibly deadly.

Using it on Salamanders is just plain mean, though I confess I usually prefer finishers to disablers.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 09:50:14 AM »

Since it's built-in on the Odyssey, I never skip a missile slot because of how much it does contribute to accuracy and speed. The Hurricane MIRV is the most egregious example: without ECCM, it may only hit with 2-3 missiles but with ECCM and a little range, almost all the missiles will hit a single point.

The Locus is also one of those missile systems that you wouldn't think ECCM does a whole lot for until you watch their guidance systems turn on a dime after a target gets destroyed. Because of its pinpoint-accuracy, I moved to the Locust as a finisher for my Odyssey build because if I can open up some hull on a ship, the Locusts tend to find it. :D

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 10:54:36 AM »

So long as Locusts have ammo, fighters are damn near useless!

God help you when they run out though.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 11:10:03 AM »

Once missiles are out, it's time to bow out.

Unless a ship has a missile autoforge.

Hurricanes are one thing, but Locusts are just there to spite the opponent with death by frags while flux is high. Locusts can fulfill more roles than Hurricanes by supersaturating anyone's point defenses, where the bombers can deliver payloads with far greater ease. I have used the Locust as a better pressure alternative.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 11:45:26 AM »

Right, Locusts are pressure/anti-fighter and Hurricanes are finishers. 2x hurricanes, with an officer, straight up deletes an overloaded dominator in 1 double salvo. Locusts absolutely murder frigates if thats a concern.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 12:01:05 PM »

Locusts are amazing finishers against any size ship. That's actually my main use for them on something like an odyssey. It's super powerful to have ~8k hull damage at 1400 range. Obviously skills and shields and PD reduce that damage, but even if you lose half the damage, 4k hull damage is still strong.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 03:41:34 PM »

Locust is an all-purpose finisher.  Small ships just die, armor or not.  Bigger ships may need armor stripped, but after that, they take a lot of damage.

MIRVs are too expensive.  If I do not have Missile Spec, I do not bother with them, unless I play with Gauss Conquest (which rarely happens since I prefer other loadouts) due to those guns exceeding Locust range.  ECCM plus MIRV (plus obligatory Expanded Missile Racks) costs too much OP.  Locust is a low-budget (or moderately expensive with Missile Racks) and effective out-of-the-box option that does not need ECCM or Missile Spec. to work properly.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 03:43:18 PM by Megas »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 08:33:59 PM »

Once missiles are out, it's time to bow out.
For something like Conquest or Apogee, they stay in and keep fighting until PPT times out!  Conquest can still pummel things with their broadsides (which is the primary armament), and Apogee has plasma cannon.

For Odyssey, I leave the large synergy (and the medium missiles and most small mounts) empty and rely mostly on two plasma cannons and minor fighter help, and min-max flux and shield stats, just so it can sustain plasma barrage for more than a few seconds and crush battleships.  If I want to use plasma cannons to kill, I need to go all-in.  If I want to give Odyssey to AI, okay, it gets mostly beams and missiles loadout so it maybe will not burn into a mob to die.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 12:10:11 AM »

I'd say Locust is really only a finisher for frigates and maybe destroyers. Its not bad, and its cheaper, but its not melting heavy ships and station modules like a Hurricane does. Locust is still an excellent, high ammo, multi purpose missile though, while the hurricane is very specialized.
Pages: [1] 2