Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Hardpoint only hullmod/weapons  (Read 20658 times)

Temstar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Hardpoint only hullmod/weapons
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 12:39:45 AM »

From what I hear this will be implemented, but it will be fixed weapons for specific hulls that can't be removed.

For example the Omen. That sphere is supposedly a scalar weapon that when fired knocks out all enemy missiles and bombs in a wide area around it. Hence why Omen is a point defense frigate.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 05:22:25 AM »

specialized mounts with some bonus(penalty) if specific weapon is placed sound fine.

if slot is designed for point defence, PD weapons shoud recieve some bonus andor any weapon placed become PD without any addtional OP cost.

or any non PD weapon shoud recieve penalty.

best way to make things right 50% OP discount if player install proper weapons into proper mounts.

install PD weapon into PD slot - got LMG for 1 OP (down from 3)

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 08:11:45 AM »

so basically, punish the player for wanting to think outside the box...

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 08:40:06 AM »

so basically, punish the player for wanting to think outside the box...

Yeah, I'm not so sure I like that either.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 08:46:13 AM »

Hmm, yeah I was more thinking just some sort of API tag that we could use as a filter when applying a bonus. Eg: Like advanced optics is just for beams, advanced ammo feed would improve the fire rate of just hardpoint mounted weapons. Or something.

DukesOfDevon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 03:34:04 AM »

Very simply, I would make hardpoint mounted weapons cost less OP. The turret is the largest physical part of any gun mount... no turret = more easily mounted weapon.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 08:11:12 AM »

Yeah, that would work. :D

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »

Very simply, I would make hardpoint mounted weapons cost less OP. The turret is the largest physical part of any gun mount... no turret = more easily mounted weapon.

Agreed. This makes a lot of sense, and provides a benefit to using ships with hardpoints.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 01:31:22 PM »

Why would that make any sense at all?  Whatever savings you can get from that are already built into the total ordnance points available for the hull; the turret mechanisms are part of the hull, not part of the weapon.

The only case where that'd make sense is if you had a sort of a variable type slot, that could mount a gun either as a turret (at a higher op cost), or fixed in some direction (at a lower op cost).  And, while such mounts might be interesting, they don't currently exist in game.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »

Why would that make any sense at all?  Whatever savings you can get from that are already built into the total ordnance points available for the hull; the turret mechanisms are part of the hull, not part of the weapon.
What he said.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 05:33:40 AM »

The only case where that'd make sense is if you had a sort of a variable type slot, that could mount a gun either as a turret (at a higher op cost), or fixed in some direction (at a lower op cost).  And, while such mounts might be interesting, they don't currently exist in game.

Well, its debatable from looking at weapon descriptions whether or not the turrets are built into the hull, but I'll concede that just lowering the OP cost of weapons mounted on hardpoints is probably not going to happen. I still want other hullmods to be able to access hardpoint/not though. :P

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »

I'm trying to think of examples, and the answer I got was that it's mainly the Onslaught. Non-capitals tend to have larger mounts on the hardpoints, and that's their advantage. (E.g. Dominator, Sunder, Hyperion. Eagle's an exception but the hardpoints are still different than the turrets. Also Wyvern's point is good - +OP for hardpoints can be baked into base OP.) The Conquest, Odyssey, Atlas and Astral don't have much in hardpoints.

So here's the thing. When you turn the Paragon forward to bring its hardpoints to bear, you don't move its large turrets out of their firing arc. On the Onslaught, you do. On the contrary, the Paragon's large turrets overlap mainly forward.

On the Onslaught you trade one large turret for two hard-to-aim large hardpoints, plus a couple medium mounts. Which doesn't sound that bad now that I write it down, so I think the problem is in getting it turned around and in the fact there's a dead zone between the side turret and the hardpoints. There's a spot where you're trading the heavy turret for one hard point and maybe some medium turrets.

And I don't know about you guys, but if I ever need to turn the Onslaught, my enemy tends to get stuck in that dead zone.

As a result I've found an extremely effective Onslaught build that strips the hardpoints entirely.

Come to think, I know why stuff gets stuck in the dead zone, too. If you have exactly one opponent, you can see them coming and line up. If you have a second opponent, it is impossible. While you're turning to meet them, those hardpoints are dead weight. So instead I planned around disabling the opponent before they could turn to meet me, and it works great.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 09:58:34 PM »

Hardpoints already have a range advantage, but I agree that they could be a bit better.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 10:54:27 PM »

Woah really? I never knew that.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 01:45:11 AM »

Woah really? I never knew that.

Nevermind, it's not.  Just me being sleepy again.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:48:48 AM by JamesRaynor »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4