Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: GG Alex  (Read 1639 times)

lamine0uali

• Ensign
    • View Profile
GG Alex
« on: May 26, 2020, 07:16:16 AM »

Played X series games and loved them.
Played a bit of DWU to the point where I got the mecanics. and the mecanics concepts are really good.
Tinkered with a few Starsector like games and no one cought my attention.
Stumbled accross this game and am loving it.
GG Alex, the work you did is great, the game is complex enough to create a geek fanbase around it (not as complicated as DWU, and I would like you consider including some games mecanics concepts similar or more inovative to it) The game is also accessible and has an easy learning curve if someone decided to auto stuff.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: GG Alex
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 09:26:06 AM »

Hi - welcome to the forum :)

Thank you, I'm happy you're into the game! I haven't actually played DWU, so I can't speak too much to that. My understanding is it's a 4x, though, isn't it? If that's the case: I'm not really looking to get too deep into 4x elements - which gets a bit too impersonal for where I'd like the game to be - and to focus more on story/events instead.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 09:38:47 AM »

DWU has quest lines where you fine tidbits that point you to hidden spots on the map with good loot, such as stations that give you money or tech, or ships that you can use as-is or retire at a shipyard for a tech bonus. There's also usually guardians that need to be cleared, and IIRC visiting some of the spots has consequences.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 11:48:09 AM »

Ah, interesting! Sounds generally in line with various Starsector things, then, both extant and TBD.

lamine0uali

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 02:39:12 PM »

Thank you, I'm happy you're into the game! I haven't actually played DWU, so I can't speak too much to that. My understanding is it's a 4x, though, isn't it? If that's the case: I'm not really looking to get too deep into 4x elements - which gets a bit too impersonal for where I'd like the game to be - and to focus more on story/events instead.

Thank you for your reply.
I must admit that going full 4X is getting a second full time job and that's why I stopped playing DWU. I think you're on the way of putting just the right amount of it.
Keep up the good work.

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 05:44:27 AM »

Thank you for your reply.
I must admit that going full 4X is getting a second full time job and that's why I stopped playing DWU. I think you're on the way of putting just the right amount of it.
Keep up the good work.

I think that's what I love about Starsector the most. Great top-down space shooter, also great top-down space RTS if you spec your character right. The options per-playthrough are near endless!
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 02:39:41 PM »

Combine that with compatibility to modding, and opens up to a lot of potential limited to the programming language (Java does have its cons factoring into Starsector, especially memory allocation when mods come into play).

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 04:22:43 PM »

Memory problems with mods is NOT due to Java.