Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pirates, Pirates, Pirates  (Read 1936 times)

RobinCoyote

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Pirates, Pirates, Pirates
« on: May 25, 2020, 05:08:25 AM »

So what's up with pirates in this game? I feel like whenever I set up a colony its just pirates, pirates, pirates nonstop. It feels like when I start to get my colony rolling I basically have to babysit it because every month or less a new pirate base gets established.

Enormous pirate fleets swoop in, sweep aside my station, annihilate the small fleets my colony sends out. and raid and destroy my infrastructure. They run scared shitless from my fleet, so I basically have to personally handle and mop up every single pirate incursion. It gets tiresome because wiping out the base isn't enough. Then you have to fly around your system scouring every nebula, magnetic field, and planetary ring for where-ever the hell the pirates have decided to hide because they'll keep capturing all the *** in the stable locations over and over and over again until you literally crush every single tiny ship that scatters like roaches when you destroy a fleet.

It gets really tedious early on because your colony can't defend itself and it's not producing the supplies and fuel you need to hang out nearby and all the habitable planets seem to be at the ass-end of the sector from the core.

I just want to go out and earn money so I can upgrade my colony, but the last time I went out and ignored the pirate raid notifications so I could scour the sector for loot I wound up coming back to colony with -14 stability from unrest due to raids from pirates, Luddic Path, and for some reason the hegemony? (whom I don't have a bad relationship with nor am I using AI cores?).

Like, is this being dialed back, for smaller colonies at least, in future? Because this sort of feels really ridiculous. I feel like once their base is gone the remaining fleets at the very least should disband so I don't have to spend ten to twenty real time minutes of gameplay hunting every last ship down.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Pirates, Pirates, Pirates
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 05:11:40 AM »

There are two issues. One is that pirates (along with expeditions) are, intentionally, stronger than they should be, because there's no endgame, no drawback to having colonies. It will be fixed once we get some endgame content. The other issue is that there's a bug where pirate stations spawn way too quickly, meaning they're unintentionally annoying as well.

For colony defence, I recommend going for space stations first, then getting military base as soon as possible (Patrol HQ is too weak to stand up to anything).

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 05:16:43 AM »

Yeah pirates are very overbearing right now and make the majority of what you will be fighting all game. There is little incentive to fighting much else other then for giggles or to defend from the occasional expedition.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 05:57:19 AM »

SS definitely needs a "less pirates" mod, able to low down, or even turn of player-related pirate base spawn.

Or is it exist already?
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 07:12:04 AM »

You can alter pirate behavior by changing in settings.json:

"minPirateBases":0,
"maxPirateBases":(put your preferred value here, recommend 2),

minPirateBases to 0 means a new pirate base will not pop up immediately after you destroyed the last one, but only after a period of time. maxPirateBases to a lower number means what it says, they'll keep to the set maximum. Both numbers reduce pirate raids on core worlds, but this has nothing to do with player-facing pirate stations which are usually low-powered. Also, if you lower maxPirateBases but leave minPirateBases above 0, it will still give you regular raids at the strength of 1 station because that last station is immediately rebuilt.

I also have a feeling that chain-destroying bases is a bad idea because an instantly rebuilt station will likely trigger a fast raid whereas leaving that last station alone for a while may trigger raids only at set intervals.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:15:56 AM by Schwartz »

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 07:14:42 AM »

Those values does not affect player-related bases, IIRC.

I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 07:17:34 AM »

Yep, like I said. But OP must have done something wrong to have a strong pirate force attacking one of his bases. Likely he left a pirate base alive for a long time until it upgraded. Player-facing raids are usually very weak.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 07:54:42 AM »

Yep, like I said. But OP must have done something wrong to have a strong pirate force attacking one of his bases. Likely he left a pirate base alive for a long time until it upgraded. Player-facing raids are usually very weak.
Only happens when a pirate base becomes a Star Fortress, fielding strong raider fleets with good quality.

And I tend to let that happen since I just happen to make good with pirates and just watch the raids leave a mess I can salvage.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 08:12:22 AM »

The best solution to pirate raids in the long term is to become friendly with the pirates. Then they will stop raiding you.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »

Occasionally, the big -3/-50% pirate bases that usually attack core systems will select one of your systems instead of one of the core systems, and you probably want to deal with that.

If all of core worlds are destroyed, then they have no one but you to attack, and they effectively become permanent colony penalty.  (Kill the pirate base, it respawns the next day and picks a new target.  After total core kill, that is your system yet again.)

The best solution to pirate raids in the long term is to become friendly with the pirates. Then they will stop raiding you.
That is what I would do if I play another game before next release.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 11:13:12 AM »

First thing i build:  ground defenses.  First thing I upgrade:  ground defenses.

Strangelove

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 05:59:34 PM »

I’ve noticed that too. I have 8-10 pirate groups arriving in my system soon after establishing the colony. It’s extremely annoying. Any idea how to disable it?