Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The game seriously needs a mod manager/downloader  (Read 2138 times)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
The game seriously needs a mod manager/downloader
« on: June 07, 2020, 08:48:14 PM »

I know this can be a controversial topic but my exhaustion got to a point that I just got to say it. Over the last few months I thought of picking up the game again for a modded run in a few different occasions, and every time I did so I had to spend over 30 minutes to an hour going over mod pages, downloading files, replacing folders and updating my current mods. This takes like 5 minutes with other games like Terraria and Factorio (or any game with Steam Workshop support, though the aforementioned two use their own solutions). I understand that some of those can create extra burdens on modders and that auto updating is no good for Starsector, but at least a button to manually update the mods (instead of a forum link page as the Version Check mod does, which still requires you to launch the game) would be greatly appreciated. Not to mention that some very good mods get buried in Page 3/4 of the forum pages because of the way forum threads are sorted, even if it got updated recently, so you gotta go looking for them. And then on top of all that a lot of really good mods are restricted to Discord only, making it even more of a pain to find everything interesting before you start a new run.

I've given up starting modded runs multiple times just by how bothersome this whole process is. I'm not calling on Alex to handle this or any specific modder. If you don't like it that's fine. But if you ever felt similar frustrations and want to the game to appeal to more people, please consider this. Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:42:44 AM by Cyan Leader »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: The game seriously needs a mod manager/downloader
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 11:20:51 PM »

There are a bunch of mods on Nexus, so that can help. But not enough to make it a viable alternative yet. The problem is that those things take time to put in place so that costs money. And even then they can not be picked on by modders.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 12:43:50 AM »

Feel free to write one. I'd be willing to integrate it.

connortron7

• Captain
  • "God has cursed me for my hubris" - brian gilbert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 02:37:44 PM »

And then on top of all that a lot of really good mods are restricted to Discord only,

Almost all discord exclusive mods are ones that the author doesnt think is finished enough for the forum and posts there to get beta tester feedback