Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: General suggestions from first "proper" playthrough  (Read 1881 times)

Vinkink

• Ensign
    • View Profile
General suggestions from first "proper" playthrough
« on: May 23, 2020, 03:38:55 AM »

No mods, 0.91a-RC8

Suggestions / QoL improvement
* It would be nice if you could scrap ships in storage.

* Once you've "done" an exploration activity it should disappear. They currently end up littering the map making it effectively useless. At least the planet related ones do "Rich deposit" etc.

* UI Scaling - I get this is (at its core) an old game that pre-dates 4k monitors, but it would be nice to have UI scaling.

* Why is there any energy weapon that has limited fires (Antimatter blaster?)? As far as I can see it doesn't have reduced Flux cost, or increased damage so... what's the trade-off? Why would I want to use it?

* It's not really clear what the "blueprints" page does (Command); Something about fleet compositions though I didn't really see it do anything. Also, the "Orders" tab on "Command" never once became selectable that I saw. Maybe intentional, so no idea what it does.

* It would be nice if the custom production thing showed you how many of any given thing you currently had in storage without having to mouse-over the items.
* It would also be nice if it let you order the build queue.

* Game can "play" while on the map view.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: General suggestions from first "proper" playthrough
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 04:05:36 AM »

Ughh you posted your suggestions here but the actual thoughts of your playthrough are in suggestions subforum, well nevermind.

1. You can already do this? If I'm not mixing up something.

2. Agree, think that's being worked on for the next update tho.

3. Already implemented for the next update.

4. I think it's just a relic from the past, imo it shouldn't have an ammo count since most of the time you're not even gonna spend all charges. Just remove it so the description looks cleaner.

5. Your first need to set up a colony, then build a Heavy industry there and if you have any blueprints, you can then prioritize the ships you want to appear more in your patrol fleets. You can do the same with weapons and fighters (which applies to your station also). ''Orders'' is a work in progress still.

6. Yeah more UI related stuff needs things like this.

7. Agree.

8. Honestly I'd like an option for the game to play in whatever menu you're in, because as we all know, travel can be kinda boring at times. So someone might wanna browse intel, someone is reading stuff up in Codex, and so on.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Vinkink

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 04:41:08 AM »

Ughh you posted your suggestions here but the actual thoughts of your playthrough are in suggestions subforum, well nevermind.
Yeah, I realised as soon as I posted that it was going to the general forum not the suggestions one. Hopefully a mod will move it.

1. You can already do this? If I'm not mixing up something.
Not that I could see when I tried it. Had to move them to active first.

5. Your first need to set up a colony, then build a Heavy industry there and if you have any blueprints, you can then prioritize the ships you want to appear more in your patrol fleets. You can do the same with weapons and fighters (which applies to your station also). ''Orders'' is a work in progress still.
Yep, I had all that, but my point was - what does it actually *do*? Sure it changes the composition of the fleets, and I can micro weapons etc, but, why bother? The fleet size is set elsewhere as a factor of various things, and that's the only thing I want to change. Changing composition/weapons isn't going to do anything useful as far as I can tell because the combat is all going to be behind-the-scenes-numbers-stuff. So I have no idea what is/is not going to be effective.

8. Honestly I'd like an option for the game to play in whatever menu you're in, because as we all know, travel can be kinda boring at times. So someone might wanna browse intel, someone is reading stuff up in Codex, and so on.
Yep, agreed.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 04:46:43 AM »

Oh yeah my bad, you can't do much with ships in storage. Guess it would be a nice little QoL suggestion.

Now I'm not 100% sure but I think you're right. No matter how much you fiddle with with weapon and ship prioritizations, the fights that happen without you will all end up the same. I know autoresolve takes many things into account but general loadout I assume don't make a difference. The only time it does is when you are fighting with your fleets or supporting your battlestation (very important with High-tech ones). Other than that I guess it's mostly about flavor and role-playing.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 06:52:14 AM »

Now I'm not 100% sure but I think you're right. No matter how much you fiddle with with weapon and ship prioritizations, the fights that happen without you will all end up the same. I know autoresolve takes many things into account but general loadout I assume don't make a difference. The only time it does is when you are fighting with your fleets or supporting your battlestation (very important with High-tech ones). Other than that I guess it's mostly about flavor and role-playing.
This is why I deploy mostly armed civilians and recently recovered clunkers with the scrap weapons looted from battle when I auto-resolve.  Saves the CR of my A-team of ships for real battles.  CR of my support ships are untapped treasure - make use of it!

Vinkink

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 10:53:51 AM »

In regards to kitting out defence fleets, my thought-process is simply:
I am almost never going to be involved in a battle involving one of my defence fleets. As a player I have absolutely zero insights into how battles auto-resolve themselves. So there's both zero motivation, and zero knowledge behind utilising this feature currently.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 03:07:50 PM »

* Why is there any energy weapon that has limited fires (Antimatter blaster?)? As far as I can see it doesn't have reduced Flux cost, or increased damage so... what's the trade-off? Why would I want to use it?

It's a torpedo that point defense systems can't shoot down. A guaranteed 1400 energy damage is MASSIVE for a non-missile weapon, and you pay for that in flux cost, ordnance points, and - of course - limited number of shots.

If you have trouble using it, you might want to try putting it in a medium energy slot instead of a small one (you can downsize single-type slots). Because of the flux cost, many ships that can otherwise wield it have a hard time actually using it in combat.

Further, because of the low fire rate but massive flux generation, it works best on ships where you have a lot of flux capacity and less flux dissipation. Usually you'd put such a setup on a fast ship that can dash in, fire everything, and dash out again before the enemy can take advantage of it being at high flux - this is what's known as a "hit and run" loadout.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 03:36:55 PM »

I don't think the ammo on the AM blaster is really a relevant downside since it has such a low rate of fire. The OP cost, range, and flux burst already make it very situational anyway. I've really struggled to fit it into load outs (and I've tried because I like it as a concept). Ships that can handle the flux spike of an AM blaster usually are fine leaving small mounts empty and spending OP on a good medium energy like a heavy blaster or phase lance that have more general utility, better overall dps, similar OP cost, while also being quite good at cracking armor. At the end of the day, a big flux spike in your own ship is really bad, it makes you more vulnerable and reduces your ability to deal damage with your other weapons. The AI is particularly bad at accounting for the consequences of big flux spikes in my experience. If you combine increased vulnerability with tiny range, you end up putting yourself in really bad situations way too often. There's just a few too many downsides, I really think it could have some of them softened.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 03:43:08 PM »

Ammo limit is relevant when my ships cannot reload between rounds in huge endgame fights, especially if my fleet is not quite at the pinnacle.  I have ran out of blaster ammo in big long multi-round combat slogs.

It is a reason I am not fond of Onslaughts.  They are reliant on missiles, but empty their loads too soon.  Only Locusts with Expanded Missile Racks have anything resembling endurance in a big fight.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 03:53:55 PM »

Yeah I guess the one place AM blaster is very good is on phase ships, but I don't use them except for doom, so I haven't encountered that issue much. I also play on max battle size and generally don't go excessively far into late game, so I almost never fight more than 2 consecutive rounds.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 04:00:57 PM »

I use AM Blasters mostly on Harbinger.  They tend to perform better than Phase Lances.  Afflictor could use them too, but it is unforgiving of mistakes and requires more finesse than I want to deal with.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 04:03:01 PM »

They can be fun to use in place of another laser PD.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 07:48:57 PM »

In regards to kitting out defence fleets, my thought-process is simply:
I am almost never going to be involved in a battle involving one of my defence fleets. As a player I have absolutely zero insights into how battles auto-resolve themselves. So there's both zero motivation, and zero knowledge behind utilising this feature currently.
If you mean faction doctrine, keep in mind that priorities apply to your battlestations too!  For weapons, prioritize what you want your battlestations to use if you join the fight.  Watching battlestations rip enemy fleets apart with the weapons you told them to use is fun.  (I like it when my high-tech stations fire tachyon lance beams and kill everything at long range.)

Other than that, just prioritize what free loot you want to take after you loot the debris fields of what was left of your faction's fleets after they lose a fight.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 10:02:46 PM »

AM Blaster ammo does matter when you are trying to squeeze all possible performance from an Afflictor using maxed out character, here I had Expanded Mags for extra 10 shots and really needed that -
Spoiler
[close]

It also prevents reuse of Afflictors in multi-round combat (though I'm likely to take enough armor/hull damage to make that unattractive anyway).

...But both problems are more or less negated by having more Afflictors in fleet.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 10:37:13 PM »

I've been thinking about it and it seems to me like every buff I would give the AM blaster to make it better on conventional ships would be met with 'but then the afflictor is too strong' which is very sad to me since I find afflictor cheese super boring.
Pages: [1] 2