Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alex, spoil us!  (Read 2655 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Alex, spoil us!
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:23:17 AM »

What's viable in the next version that isn't in the current?
What got nerfed in the next?
Give us the details..... or just dangle teasers in front of us as you love to  :P
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Alex, spoil us!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 12:35:59 PM »

If you're not following his twitter go check it out https://twitter.com/amosolov, as he posts a ton of new stuff that sometimes doesn't even get mentioned here. Also I'm surprised there's still not any patch notes, imagine the wall of text that will be when he finally releases it. There's already a crazy amount of new content + details about new/reworked mechanics we don't know AND all the things that are still a secret, or we just didn't hear them yet.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 02:58:55 PM »

With the way he has handled patch notes in more recent releases, patch notes means imminent release.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 03:19:21 PM »

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1261745339494735872?s=20

An interesting weapon, not that most people favour missiles all that much. Or that armour breaking is really that much of an issue for missile slot weapons.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 03:47:34 PM »

With the way he has handled patch notes in more recent releases, patch notes means imminent release.

Ironically, that way of looking at things is precisely why there aren't any patch notes... :) It's a vicious cycle!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 04:00:56 PM »

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1261745339494735872?s=20

An interesting weapon, not that most people favour missiles all that much. Or that armour breaking is really that much of an issue for missile slot weapons.
If it really has much ammo, I probably would use the new SRM as an Annihilator or Locust substitute on low-tech or midline.

High-tech still needs sabots (if they use missiles at all instead of leaving most mounts empty and min-maxing flux and shield stats) since there are not any efficient hard-flux energy weapons.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 11:03:15 PM »

If by "imminent release" you mean "several months to go still", then yeah, sure.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 12:22:32 AM »

Ironically, that way of looking at things is precisely why there aren't any patch notes... :) It's a vicious cycle!
Hmmm so it's gonna be a jumpscare release, interesting. But I have one question tho, when should we get hyped then? Is it right now? I can do right now.

WOOO IT'S HAPPENING, STARSECTOR IS BACK ON THE MENU BOIS!!

(it's just a haha)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 05:50:31 AM »

If by "imminent release" you mean "several months to go still", then yeah, sure.
No.  We do not have patch notes for the next release yet.  I would say from a week to a month for release after notes after waiting about a year for the notes in the first place is imminent enough.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 06:35:19 AM »

Well in Starsector terms a lot of the words get different meaning. For any multiplayer game that gets regular updates I'd say imminent means this week, while here I'd consider a month away ''imminent''.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 08:42:34 AM »

Hmmm so it's gonna be a jumpscare release, interesting.

I'll just put the patch notes up at *some point*, and any misinterpretation of the imminence of the release will be on your heads :)

But I have one question tho, when should we get hyped then? Is it right now? I can do right now.

WOOO IT'S HAPPENING, STARSECTOR IS BACK ON THE MENU BOIS!!

(it's just a haha)

(Now is always good, can't go wrong with now.)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 11:08:37 AM »

Sometimes I wish I could actually see twitter. But then I remind myself that all this will be a nice surprise for future me.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 11:47:49 AM »

It also means peoples heads don't explode if you decide to change something from said notes. The "you promised X".

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 01:09:08 PM »

It also means peoples heads don't explode if you decide to change something from said notes. The "you promised X".
I always assumed that was 99% of the reason there isn't a "WIP patch notes" or some kind of specific roadmap for SS. They can be good at making hype for the community but the emotional impact on the devs in having to commit publicly and manage expectations regarding content and timeframe is a huge downside. For sanity and making development pleasant, better to wait until somethings been done to talk about it on the blog or forums.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 01:23:09 PM »

I always assumed that was 99% of the reason there isn't a "WIP patch notes" or some kind of specific roadmap for SS. They can be good at making hype for the community but the emotional impact on the devs in having to commit publicly and manage expectations regarding content and timeframe is a huge downside. For sanity and making development pleasant, better to wait until somethings been done to talk about it on the blog or forums.
Holy *** just yesterday I listened to the Space game junkie podcast with Alex again since I was bored and there was a question on why isn't there a roadmap. He said something along the lines of there being constant changes in his vision so it wouldn't make sense to set things in stone. Which I agree with and always say ''Only way to make your plans not fail is to not have plans in the first place.''
Btw to your first point, there had always been WIP patch notes here as long as I've been following the game, so it wouldn't be something new.
Pages: [1] 2