Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Tactically damageable hangars  (Read 895 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Tactically damageable hangars
« on: May 21, 2020, 09:27:19 PM »

Make hangars damageable and repairable just like engines. While they're disabled, they stop replacing and rearming. They should also benefit from Automated Repair Unit and skills which make engine repairs faster.

I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Tactically damageable hangars
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 10:21:49 PM »

Make hangars damageable and repairable just like engines. While they're disabled, they stop replacing and rearming. They should also benefit from Automated Repair Unit and skills which make engine repairs faster.

This requires fighter bays to have a definitive single location on a ship's hull. Currently in-game, a single fighter bay can have multiple "launch ports" anywhere on the ship's hull, and it doesn't make sense that if just one of those is hit hard enough the whole bay gets taken out, since that very much depends on the way the ship is laid out.

For a ship with an especially large flight deck area - say, the Astral - where do you determine is the point damage needs to occur at to hurt the nanoforges? Obviously you can't just make it a wide area, that would be ridiculous and wholly unfair to those big carriers, since if they're taking general fire like that they're probably already screwed enough.

While I like the idea in a vacuum, this is something that will be confusing for combat carriers and just plain cruel to dedicated carriers. Yes, I know carriers and fighters are very strong right now, but I'm not convinced this is the best way to help that.

At the very least, perhaps instead of "disabling" nanoforges, damage taken near a fighter launch port could merely incur an immediate penalty to the fighter replacement rate (like, 1-3% based on damage taken). That might still be overcomplicated, but I think would have a better result.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 12:56:15 AM »

I don't get how would this solve anything. You'd nerf combat carriers which are fine imo but leave dedicated carriers as they are. If you're gonna spam Drovers the AI won't even have a chance to get to you. And we already know how a large amount of fighters and missiles completely break the AI so it never gets to engage the ships themselves. Look, I'm all for making fighters less annoying but this is not the solution.
Please don't take me too seriously.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 11:34:04 AM »

If you've done hull and armor damage to a carrier, you've probably already won. They go down very easily.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 11:36:56 AM »

This requires fighter bays to have a definitive single location on a ship's hull. Currently in-game, a single fighter bay can have multiple "launch ports" anywhere on the ship's hull, and it doesn't make sense that if just one of those is hit hard enough the whole bay gets taken out, since that very much depends on the way the ship is laid out.

For a ship with an especially large flight deck area - say, the Astral - where do you determine is the point damage needs to occur at to hurt the nanoforges? Obviously you can't just make it a wide area, that would be ridiculous and wholly unfair to those big carriers, since if they're taking general fire like that they're probably already screwed enough.

While I like the idea in a vacuum, this is something that will be confusing for combat carriers and just plain cruel to dedicated carriers. Yes, I know carriers and fighters are very strong right now, but I'm not convinced this is the best way to help that.

At the very least, perhaps instead of "disabling" nanoforges, damage taken near a fighter launch port could merely incur an immediate penalty to the fighter replacement rate (like, 1-3% based on damage taken). That might still be overcomplicated, but I think would have a better result.

Instead of disabling nanoforges why not "wrecking the hull enough they can't land there".  I don't know if the code supports it, but disabling the launch ports, and thus limiting ability for fighters to land/launch could be interesting .

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 11:44:33 AM »

Instead of disabling nanoforges why not "wrecking the hull enough they can't land there".  I don't know if the code supports it, but disabling the launch ports, and thus limiting ability for fighters to land/launch could be interesting .
See intrinsic_parity's answer, unless you're fighting multiple Moras, this won't change a thing. Carriers are min-maxed around the fighters so once you get close enough, it dies like a fly.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 07:37:40 PM »

It could be a percentage reduction in fighter replacement based on the number of visible decks. Wouldnt be that hard

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 08:10:01 PM »

See intrinsic_parity's answer, unless you're fighting multiple Moras, this won't change a thing. Carriers are min-maxed around the fighters so once you get close enough, it dies like a fly.
1.  It strikes me as absolutely a factor when i'm sending my own carrier wings at theirs and probably didn't do enough to finish them off and need to wait for my bombers to rearm or my fighters to whittle them down.  And stations are a thing

2. Even if not then at worst it's a neat flavor change that might open up new options for weapons/balance/mod factions?

I mean obviously dev time isn't free but just because it wouldn't do that much now doesn't mean it can't be tweaked if it were implemented.  Seems like an intuitive and logical way to give some more interaction with fighters (which could use it since they already get around so many of the normal ones).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 08:15:16 PM »

Legion, Odyssey, and warships with Converted Hangar (and Brilliant on the enemy side) may not hang back in the rear.

No comment on the topic subject itself for the moment.