Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Pirate raid range too long  (Read 970 times)

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
Pirate raid range too long
« on: May 21, 2020, 02:09:03 PM »

Heya!

Pirates. You know them, you love them, and they just can't get enough of you (or your stuff). Which is fun.

Something else however is less fun. And that is darn pirates raiding your colonies from the far side of the sector. Maybe I'm just a bit unlucky with the randomness of their target selection, or maybe they just have a beef with me about some fuel tanks dropped from low orbit on some planets of theirs. Who knows? Nevertheless, I'd like to ask all esteemed spacefarers to share their insights on the matter, as I could not find any topics on the subject, and it may very well be that I am dealing with a completely natural phenomenon of the Persean Sector, about which I know too little.

Still, it'd make more sense to me if raiding fleets would not just select some juicy spot of loot and slaughter at the other end of creation (which they then plan to reach while travelling through the core worlds, basically pulling a Leeroy Jenkins). Would it be possible to divide the sector into four subsectors (or quadrants, if you will), which would then somewhat restrict the operation range of pirate bases? Or perhaps a hardcap in distance or fuel use? As in the raiding fleet should only be able to burn X amount of fuel to reach its destination, so that it would have enough fuel to retreat back to base once the deed is done? Or something like that.

Welp, that's about it. I could not find this raised as an explicit question or concern elsewhere, but if it had already been raised, woe to me and may the mods have mercy upon my soul. Otherwise, let's hear what the experts have to say about it!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:12:19 PM by Sandor057 »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate raid range too long
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 07:10:24 PM »

More like there is no range limit. I also think raid debuff should take more time to apply the farther pirate base is from target.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 07:30:36 PM »

The problem is: all activity in this game exists to make the player happy. I mean: if pirates will always pick other targets it will mean 1 less challenge.

But!

1. May be its just me, but it is too obvious (lets be honest), that world spins around you, and it doesnt help you to feel like you playing an RPG.
2. Picking good spot where pirates will avoid you, but you will have opportunuty to make some profit, can be a good challenge itself.

Imo, if accessibility represents how hard to reach your world, and it affects your trading routes, it also must affect pirate decisions. I mean: pirates is a poor people with bad ships and pretty low ammounts of fuel. Why do they decide to strike system in opposite corner defended by 3 HQs? Or maybe they have money and just wanna see the whole world burn... Or maybe they are undead zombie horde...
Spoiler
[close]

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 12:56:21 AM »

The problem is: all activity in this game exists to make the player happy. I mean: if pirates will always pick other targets it will mean 1 less challenge.

But!

1. May be its just me, but it is too obvious (lets be honest), that world spins around you, and it doesnt help you to feel like you playing an RPG.
2. Picking good spot where pirates will avoid you, but you will have opportunuty to make some profit, can be a good challenge itself.

Imo, if accessibility represents how hard to reach your world, and it affects your trading routes, it also must affect pirate decisions. I mean: pirates is a poor people with bad ships and pretty low ammounts of fuel. Why do they decide to strike system in opposite corner defended by 3 HQs? Or maybe they have money and just wanna see the whole world burn... Or maybe they are undead zombie horde...

Good points both. I must say, that by no means would I like PC bases to be unraidable by pirates. What bugs me is that if you want to take down the slaggers, you need to get a ton of fuel and trek through the entire sector, just so you can say hi and unleash all kinds of weaponry with extreme prejudice. At the same time, the length of the trek does not seem to affect the pirates in any way. So I'd just like to have closer pirate bases mug my colonists.

Also, the location of the bases is somewhat strange. The moment my screenshot was taken, there were 2 known pirate bases. One at Yamaros' Work, and the other at Xaphassor. The first at the other end of the sector, the second just about next door. Now one may argue, that the pirates aren't an unified faction (which is absolutely true) and as such will loot and raid independently, but with this behavior I am inclined to believe, that they indeed want to see the world burn. (Or are a zombie horde, as their supplies/fuel would surely dry up before reaching me otherwise.)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 05:56:14 AM »

Pathers are (or were) an even worse headache, and their sabotage events ignore all of your conventional defenses that stop everything else.  And if you want to find the system where the base is at, you need to pay money for it (while it is free for pirates).  Good thing they are bugged in 0.9.1a and they always fail, until next release at least.  Like pirates, their bases can have very long reach.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 11:57:07 AM »

Pirates conducting raids from very distant bases is something of an irritation.
It would be nice if (for the player at least) pirates would only consider launching a raid from bases which are maybe 1 or 2 constellations distant at the greatest, just so the player isn't forced to hike over 3/4 the breadth of the sector just to get rid of the colony debuff.
As a secondary consideration, the shorter distance would also give the raids a greater chance of showing up in the system at all - many times I've returned to defend my system, only to be told the incoming fleet has been lost. Disappointing.

Heh. Tachyon: The Fringe. Memories.