Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Worldgen  (Read 4687 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 06:40:04 AM »

To my knowledge, yellow and orange stars are the best. Red and white dwarfs are second. Everything else is unlikely to harbour life-friendly planets.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 06:57:06 AM »

To my knowledge, yellow and orange stars are the best. Red and white dwarfs are second. Everything else is unlikely to harbour life-friendly planets.
Unlikely but not impossible.  I was surprised when I found a low hazard habitable in a blue star system in one game.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 07:13:04 AM »

Unlikely but not impossible.  I was surprised when I found a low hazard habitable in a blue star system in one game.
Blue giant or supergiant?
There was somehow a Tundra world in a binary system yellow/pulsar, however i have yet to find one around a brown dwarf, black holes and nebulas are obviously out of the question.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 07:30:00 AM »

I do not remember how big the blue star was, and it was not a binary, just a lone blue star.  The system was huge, with six or more planets.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 07:31:36 AM by Megas »

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 09:47:47 AM »

i have yet to find one around a brown dwarf

I just found an archipelago world around brown dwarf.

Yes, i know, it is unknown skies, not vanilla. But if I understand correct, US does not change planet generation category. So, archipelago world is a cat3, and there are chances to find something around brown dwarf in vanilla.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2020, 10:24:06 AM »

White dwarfs are usually terrible for me, they often have one barren world and nothing else. I'm pretty sure I've seen red stars have decent worlds before though. I'm almost positive blue giants can have habitable tundra worlds, and they can also have really good cry-volcanic worlds. Of course yellow and orange are the best chance though, but I think there's lots of variance.

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 06:47:40 PM »

White dwarfs are usually terrible for me, they often have one barren world and nothing else. I'm pretty sure I've seen red stars have decent worlds before though. I'm almost positive blue giants can have habitable tundra worlds, and they can also have really good cry-volcanic worlds. Of course yellow and orange are the best chance though, but I think there's lots of variance.

Yes, they can. Blue giants are my favourite to look for. They often end up having several planets, so you can create a tough system with many patrol fleets, so you never need to go and defend your colonies with your personal fleet.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2020, 12:13:38 AM »

White dwarfs are usually terrible for me, they often have one barren world and nothing else.

That is about luck, actually.
Spoiler
[close]

Three habitable worlds. Not as good, as they could be, but would be a decent place to live if not fringe-located.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2020, 03:27:51 AM »

planet_gen_data.csv
Spoiler
[close]
One thing to bear in mind is that a star system is defined only by the primary star.

There are some additional overrides for specific planet types which amount to:
Brown Dwarfs get less habitable worlds, except Tundra. Lots of those.
Blue stars get more Arids.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:34:02 AM by Serenitis »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2020, 09:14:45 AM »

Are those multipliers to base frequencies? I know black holes can have planets.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2020, 09:39:28 AM »

There are several explicit zeroes, so I think blanks in this context mean "modify nothing". Basically "1".
Black holes don't have any 0s for the hab categories which I thought was really odd for a while. But it turns out star_data.csv controls that via the habZoneStart entries.
Spoiler
[close]
Pages: 1 [2]