Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Logistical ship revamp  (Read 1198 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Logistical ship revamp
« on: May 18, 2020, 09:16:47 AM »

Lowtech logistical ships are the most survivable and combat capable, they have higher OP than midline/high tech logistical ships and have more weapons mounts, hull and armor.

Midline logistical ships have the largest logistical capacity. Cargo/crew/fuel, they carry more than any other.

High tech ships are gimmicky. They have special hullmods or fleet support functions. Like a phase crew ship with Ground Support Package, survey ship with salvage gantry or a tanker with built in ECM and Nav Relays.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:32:47 AM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Logistical ship revamp
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 10:05:14 AM »

It would first require adding more ships. There are 5 low-tech frigate civilian or hybrid ships, 2 midline and just 1 high-tech. Destroyers have a 2/3/1 spread, plus 1/1/0 combat freighters. It's 1/1/0 for cruisers and 1/0/1 combat freighters. And the only two capital logistic ships are both low-tech. And currently it's midline, if anything, that's gimmicky, with salvage rig, troop carrier and a reserve deployment combat freighter.
I'm not opposed to this idea, but it would be a lot of effort for ships you tend to rarely ever see in combat.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 10:35:01 AM »

For a long time, all of the midline frigates were gimmicks.  Only in recent versions has Centurion evolved into a proper normal frigate (instead of an overpriced shuttle with better shields).

Nevermind.  It talks about civilians.

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 10:42:35 AM »

The logistic ships space has room for more gimmicks, as right now there is a pretty clear progression from the cheapest combat freighters in early game, to Colossus spam in the middle game, to Colossus spam forever because all the Atlases in the sector got converted by pirates. But I don't understand this constant need to divide ships up along high/mid/low tech lines. Ships are already aethetically different, and different in terms of crew, fuel, speed, armor, and shields along tech lines. We don't need to introduce more differences. There can be some variety in each tech level.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »

The logistic ships space has room for more gimmicks, as right now there is a pretty clear progression from the cheapest combat freighters in early game, to Colossus spam in the middle game, to Colossus spam forever because all the Atlases in the sector got converted by pirates. But I don't understand this constant need to divide ships up along high/mid/low tech lines. Ships are already aethetically different, and different in terms of crew, fuel, speed, armor, and shields along tech lines. We don't need to introduce more differences. There can be some variety in each tech level.

I took this approach by adding a few true civilian logistical ships (frigate-sized so far). They have no real game-purpose but just give a boost for the immersion in the setting. I remember seeing somewhere that there is place for a cruiser-sized tanker. The hard part is to make a new ship "interesting" lore-wise but also game-wise. But I definitly agree that there is place for variety

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 01:13:22 PM »

I took this approach by adding a few true civilian logistical ships (frigate-sized so far). They have no real game-purpose but just give a boost for the immersion in the setting.

Personal mod, or something here on the forums? I love/prefer mods that add ship variety without adding factions, especially if the ships are underpowered/on par with vanilla.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 10:00:14 AM »

It would first require adding more ships.
Sorry I forgot to mention this but this is exactly what I want.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 02:10:09 PM »

It would first require adding more ships.
Sorry I forgot to mention this but this is exactly what I want.
My personal vanilla mod (I should take time to put it in my banner): Stop Gap Measure . It was one of the complain that some ships were useless, but that's exactly what I wanted. The two freighters provide mostly more storage than a Cerberus or Hound for example, but are as combat-worthy than a dram. I do have a plan of adding some kind of cruiser-sized high-tech gas-harvester/tanker

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 11:33:46 PM »

I really like Stop Gap Measure. Very well-balanced. Good sprites. Vanilla-friendly. 100% recommended. Solves much of the issue in the OP (although I have no idea how the tech-tiers are arranged; I don't pay much attention to tech level; I just look at stats).