Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Game no longer active?  (Read 3899 times)

Kuppykake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Game no longer active?
« on: May 15, 2020, 09:06:39 AM »

I bought the game after 9.1a release and its been quite some time since then. and there is no new releases... is this game being actively worked on orrrrr....?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Game no longer active?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:13:31 AM »

Yes! Working on it as we speak, in fact :) It takes a bit between releases, but that's not unusual. There's just... a lot to do.

For some more recent stuff, you can check the blog (scroll down past the first pinned post), here:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/blog/

And my twitter is here:
https://twitter.com/amosolov

(In particular, if you scroll down a bit, there will be a number of gifs that may be of interest...)

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 10:54:52 AM »

I bought the game after 9.1a release and its been quite some time since then. and there is no new releases... is this game being actively worked on orrrrr....?

It's been a year and 5 days -- by my reckoning since we got an update (TBH - I hadn't heard of SS at that time). I've read that Alex likes to do big updates, but honestly Alex if your reading this, more than a year for new content does not inspire confidence.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 11:03:02 AM »

He literally just shared his blog and Twitter where he regularly shows new content.

He is on every day answering bug reports and modder questions, and he has done so consistently for the nearly 6 years I have known about this game.

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 11:06:27 AM »

It's been a year and 5 days -- by my reckoning since we got an update (TBH - I hadn't heard of SS at that time). I've read that Alex likes to do big updates, but honestly Alex if your reading this, more than a year for new content does not inspire confidence.

I appreciate that the developer of this game prefers to ship good quality whenever it is ready, rather than to try and rush a half baked update every quarter.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 11:10:52 AM »

I appreciate that the developer of this game prefers to ship good quality whenever it is ready, rather than to try and rush a half baked update every quarter.

Can I kiss you, dear gentleman? Long, hard very manly kiss! Because you just wrote exactly what I was typing, almost in a same words!

Say NO to semi-decent fast updates!
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 11:21:18 AM »

In the grand scheme of things, I bought Starsector only recently.  I bought it in May.  Of 2016.

Alex can of course correct me if I'm wrong, but Starsector was first available for purchase in 2011, as Starfarer.  Since then there have been multiple releases which have changed the game in very fundamental ways, and in my opinion, for the better.  I have confidence Alex is working on the game because he has an excellent track record for the last 10 years.  The updates are slow, but that is because the development team is tiny and the releases are high quality and significant.

Everyone has different levels of preference in time versus quality of updates.  Or how finished the game seems to them.  I can understand why people might be worried about year long gaps in content.  I personally don't worry.

In my case, I've gotten far more entertainment out of starsector than many other, more expensive games.  I always find myself coming back every few months or so to check out how mods have evolved or if new ones have popped up, which can certainly scratch an itch for new content.  So even if development stopped today (which it has emphatically not, based on all the cool twitter graphics I've seen in the last few months), I'd have considered the purchase of the game as well worth it.

I mean, back when I first got into computer gaming, you bought your floppy disk copy of the game and that was it.  You didn't get updates.  This "get good game now" and "get better game later" is a rather new fad.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:24:45 AM by Hiruma Kai »

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 11:52:18 AM »

Honestly prefer long periods between updates, so that modded playthroughs don't get stalled, plus manual modding is a bit annoying if you have to redo it 3 times a month cough M&B cough. Better for devs and mod devs alike.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 12:39:45 PM »

Been a fan/follower of this game for like a decade now, the very long time between updates is a feature (and a recurring topic in general x3). The long time is always offset by a silly amount of new and awesome things in each update (and these new and awesome things being incredibly stable and well thought out (looking at you bannerlord >:O)!!). It's ok to forget about the game for a year and come back and be like "oh my god there's colonisation now" and stuff ^.^
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 03:10:33 PM »

I've considered the game "complete" for like the last three versions, so every time a major update with cool new stuff comes out it's like a surprise birthday. ;D

Possibly controversial opinion
Anyone who is whinging about not getting updates needs to take a moment to close their mouth, smell the roses and enjoy what they have, rather than always asking for more. Y'all are playing a fantastic game already.
[close]

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 03:30:50 PM »

I've read that Alex likes to do big updates, but honestly Alex if your reading this, more than a year for new content does not inspire confidence.
Hahahahaha... hum sorry, we all went through this. Welcome to Starsector! Where a year and a half between updates is the baseline, not the exception. The best projections we can make looking at the history of past updates indicate that we are about 200 days away from the next one. And that's the optimistic estimate.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 03:33:36 PM by Tartiflette »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 08:56:34 PM »

I think calling 200 days optimistic is more than a bit pessimistic.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 11:53:02 PM »

Is it though?
Spoiler
[close]

The last update took 531 days, the current one has been worked on for 372, thus we are 180 days away from matching that. But the last update also took 112 more days than the update before, that would bring us to about 290 days until the next one.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:55:23 PM by Tartiflette »

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 02:50:41 AM »

There are so many devs that keep releasing half-assed updates too frequently, to the point where it's not worth committing to a long playthrough. Having stable releases less frequently is a lot better for Starsector imo.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 03:04:22 AM »

In my personal judging, I consider most games worth the money I have spent upon them if I have played and roughly enjoyed twenty hours. SS passed that mark years ago and I have still here.... even if I only play every now and again these days.

Even unfinished as the game currently is, it's been very enjoyable and well worth it's price that I would have otherwise spent on Indian takeaways.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.
Pages: [1] 2