Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starsector combat freeze after ~1hr game time (MacOS)  (Read 1510 times)

Maxzhao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starsector combat freeze after ~1hr game time (MacOS)
« on: May 13, 2020, 11:29:03 PM »

So the game freezes after some time of gameplay but only in combat. Usually the ram usage from console commands shows around 50% so I am not sure if it's a RAM issue. I have many functionalities in GraphicsLib disabled to only allow mods that uses it to function but not add much stress on my potato computer. When the freeze happens it doesn't exactly stop running but the framerate goes to about a couple a minute. When i quit the game Mac does not function properly and refuses to open applications (such as resource manager). 

Thanks a ton for any help!

I have increased the RAM usage to 2048 Mb (I have 4GB ram)
logs: https://pastebin.com/QDMTr0s3 (This is obtained by searching for Error, let me know if you need the full log.)
Modlist:
Arsenal Expansion
Audio Plus
Autosave
Better Colonies
Combat Chatter
CombatAnalytics
Commissioned Crews
Common Radar
Console Commands
Diable Avionics
GraphicsLib
LazyLib
Leading Pip
LightShow
MagicLib
Nexerelin
ORA
Ship and Weapon Pack
SpeedUp
Terraforming and Station Construction
THI
UpgradedRotaryWeapons

PS. while listing the mods I realised lightshow is installed but currently shows 0.9.0, but I'm on 0.9.1. However I don't think this is causing the issue as the freeze doesn't seem to be triggered by a specific weapon effect.

Edit: Typo

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector combat freeze after ~1hr game time (MacOS)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 11:55:42 PM »

What video card does this rig have?

Maxzhao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 12:40:24 AM »

What video card does this rig have?

Integrated Intel HD Graphics 5000  :'( :'(

Maxzhao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 12:40:56 AM »

I've tested without lightshow and the problem persists

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 12:52:11 AM »

You have a system with only 4gb of ram, with 2 allocated, and an IGPU so all the textures and stuff that in an ideal world sits in vram is instead being stored in system ram. This is... Really bad, triple whammy of badness.

You need to seriously temper your gaming expectations and reduce the scope of your mod list.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 12:55:24 AM »

Have you disabled the shaders in the settings file in the GraphicsLIb Folder? If not, you might try that
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Maxzhao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 12:57:04 AM »

You have a system with only 4gb of ram, with 2 allocated, and an IGPU so all the textures and stuff that in an ideal world sits in vram is instead being stored in system ram. This is... Really bad, triple whammy of badness.

You need to seriously temper your gaming expectations and reduce the scope of your mod list.

So you are saying it's basically a lack of ram that is causing the sudden freeze? Would you say removing a couple faction mods is the best course of action? Would reducing combat size help as well? Weird thing is I don't experience much fps drops during most of the battle and the freeze comes very suddenly.

Maxzhao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 12:58:45 AM »

Have you disabled the shaders in the settings file in the GraphicsLIb Folder? If not, you might try that

Yes I have, and doing so did increased my fps by a lot, thanks for the suggestion!

Maxzhao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 09:19:13 AM »

Having removed a couple faction mods and music pack this issue doesn’t seem to be going away.  The ram usage from console command doesn’t seem to ever pass 50% though. Having read through the log though i can’t seem to see what the problem is. Does anyone have any ideas?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 05:48:04 AM »

Having removed a couple faction mods and music pack this issue doesn’t seem to be going away.  The ram usage from console command doesn’t seem to ever pass 50% though. Having read through the log though i can’t seem to see what the problem is. Does anyone have any ideas?
Sadly no. We have few Mac players here and in combat freezes are pretty rare as far as I know.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Maxzhao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 06:20:34 AM »

Sadly no. We have few Mac players here and in combat freezes are pretty rare as far as I know.
Thanks anyway!

edit:fix quote
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 09:34:11 AM by Maxzhao »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 07:24:12 AM »

This is almost certainly an issue with your potat more so than the game (on a Mac, have never had this issue).

For giggles, I stuffed a copy of Starsector into an ancient Macbook from 2008 recently and it runs, in a very lo-fi way. Almost no mods, GraphicsLib for compatibility only, that kind of thing. But it does run and is even playable, although hardly the sublime, magisterial experience it is on the desktop.

My guess is that you're nomming up all the system RAM and it's making Finder crap a cinderblock sideways and die. It should be possible to run it... but you will probably have to remove at least two factions' worth of content from your modlist.