Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is Transverse Jump Too Good?  (Read 4593 times)

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Is Transverse Jump Too Good?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 02:53:15 AM »

I m using TJ to escape black holes and to deal with neutron stars (allows to go "deeper" to loot/investigate more stuff).

You can use e-burn for that instead.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 02:56:38 AM »

I think it's not 'too good' but definitely one of the few 'must haves'. Imho it's more of a convenience factor rather than any raw power it provides: It saves time, as there is no need to drag the fleet to a jump point to exit to hyperspace, so great for lazy admirals such as myself. It's also useful in hyperspace, sometimes jumping into a nascent gravity well can allow you to scout a system to see if there's any danger.
It can also be used to jump out of the danger zone if done early, especially when jump points are guarded.

Highly necessary in high danger systems since the fleet may not be prepared to fight its way out.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 06:49:32 PM »

It's a QoL ability the game needs. It one of the few creative tools we have to alter normal game mechanics. Honestly I wish we had more abilities that had a meaningful potential impact on game play like it does.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2020, 08:18:16 PM »

The thing that makes it too strong is that the AI does not use it. Some, but not all fleets should.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 05:26:22 AM »

I often forget to use it on the day to day but is is VERY useful when your fleet's life is on the line, otherwise it just saves time and effort.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2020, 08:33:02 AM »

The thing that makes it too strong is that the AI does not use it. Some, but not all fleets should.
Hopefully, not the invaders sent by pirates and major factions.  Sector does not need to have more or hotter fires burning it down to make babysitting worse.

I can see it now.  "We, Pirates, the EverLiving, will blaze through the stars and burn down worlds so fast that no one can stop us until it is too late!  And Third Sector will be ours!"

I often forget to use it on the day to day but is is VERY useful when your fleet's life is on the line, otherwise it just saves time and effort.
It adds up to A LOT of time saved.  Nice when trying to meet babysitting deadlines or anytime travel is involved in my home system.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 11:03:58 AM »

Pirates/Smugglers and LP specifically. But to do that the AI would have to be less suicidal and not just jump right back into the same system.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 11:14:54 AM »

Transverse jump doesn't actually help you escape fleets. You have to be fast enough to open up a gap to use it, so you also must be fast enough to run away conventionally. It does save you a lot of time over slowly running away with a +1 burn advantage, and maybe saves you supplies if you would have to eburn to escape and don't have the skill that makes e burn free.

The only thing it does that actually can't be done otherwise is avoid jump points, particularly in remnant system where jump points are very dangerous. That's definitely nice, but not game breaking. In general it's mostly a time saver/qol that I value very highly, but it doesn't actually let you do very much that you couldn't do slower, or with other abilities.
Pages: 1 [2]