Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Questions about Cores  (Read 5837 times)

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
Questions about Cores
« on: May 11, 2020, 06:35:08 PM »

Hello Fractal Softworks Forums! I've been playing StarSector for a few months now, after getting introduced to it through a steady trickle of YouTube recommendations. I've also been reading the forum for about a month now, and haven't been compelled to post until I read an entry yesterday concerning Alpha cores and their use as structure/industry modifiers.

My (potentially limited) understanding of Alpha Cores is: that after you assign them to a building, it will trigger an AI inspection. But this post claimed that if you attach an Alpha Core to a non-industry structure, that it won't trigger an AI inspection. This peaked my curiosity, and so I had to test it out with a Star Fortress.

And by golly it worked ;D

Now of course you're probably thinking this is pretty obvious, but I wasn't in the loop. I'm assuming that my misconception formed because I always focused Alpha Cores on industries, but that's not that important and its just a guess.

This has also left me wondering something, do all non-industry buildings work this way? And, in theory, could I stack multiple alpha cores onto the same colony in non-industry structures and still not trigger an AI inspection?

Another thing this got me thinking, maybe it works in a similar point-based system to the LP Cell Heresy Meter.

That's why I've brought my quandary here, as I'm in serious need of insight. Any help would be very much appreciated :)
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Cores
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 04:11:41 AM »

I may be writing something stupid (never played anything but Hegemony commission), but cores on industries (farm/mine/forges) do not bother the glorious Domain restorer in the slightest.

Have never tried AI governor by fear that it will be the trigger (iron mode, don't want to get them hostile when i have worlds in their systems ready to get nuked).

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 08:27:48 AM »

I may be writing something stupid (never played anything but Hegemony commission), but cores on industries (farm/mine/forges) do not bother the glorious Domain restorer in the slightest.

Have never tried AI governor by fear that it will be the trigger (iron mode, don't want to get them hostile when i have worlds in their systems ready to get nuked).
As someone who embraces AI use, industries with AI cores will provoke Hegemony AI Inspectors, even with a Gamma AI. AI governor? Still yes. Inspector fleets have a long time before checks, so what may work... may backfire. The AI Core in a Star Fortress may still attract Inspection, as I have used them for resource sparing purposes with just a Gamma Core. Even with just one Gamma Core on a non-industry, a fleet still comes in with enough time. Like several game months.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 09:56:47 AM »

As someone who embraces AI use, industries with AI cores will provoke Hegemony AI Inspectors, even with a Gamma AI. AI governor? Still yes. Inspector fleets have a long time before checks, so what may work... may backfire. The AI Core in a Star Fortress may still attract Inspection, as I have used them for resource sparing purposes with just a Gamma Core. Even with just one Gamma Core on a non-industry, a fleet still comes in with enough time. Like several game months.

The AI inspection fleets are a.) only about once a cycle and b.) easily bribe-able. I never worry about them, except maybe when I just started a colony and am not flush with cash. A colony heavily using AI cores will (depending on the colony) make 200-300k a month, so even if you do pay 600k-1M credits once a year, it's still coming out ahead by a wide margin. Alternatively, wipe out the Hegemony... :P

DubTre6

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 10:25:50 AM »

Thanks for the info everyone! I really appreciate the responses.

So I'm assuming I just haven't waited long enough to see my colony inspected?

DubTre6

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 10:33:55 AM »

I've always felt dicey about commissions, worried that all the rep I've built with a faction will just disappear when my Commissioner declares war on them  :'(

That being said...Might try the Hedge - Seems like they might be more lenient on AI cores if I'm accepting a paycheck from them

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 01:03:20 PM »

I've always felt dicey about commissions, worried that all the rep I've built with a faction will just disappear when my Commissioner declares war on them 
As long as you do not fight your faction's enemies or otherwise do bad things to them, your reputation will be restored when the cease fire occurs.  If you do fight fleets, original rep will be docked by about -5 or so per incident.

DubTre6

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 03:21:37 PM »

I've always felt dicey about commissions, worried that all the rep I've built with a faction will just disappear when my Commissioner declares war on them 
As long as you do not fight your faction's enemies or otherwise do bad things to them, your reputation will be restored when the cease fire occurs.  If you do fight fleets, original rep will be docked by about -5 or so per incident.

:o New save time!

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 07:17:38 PM »

Really? I thought you still ended up a little behind where you started in terms of rep with other factions, by like 5-10 rep, every time there was a faction war, regardless of whether you fight anything...

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 03:26:52 AM »

The AI inspection fleets are a.) only about once a cycle and b.) easily bribe-able. I never worry about them, except maybe when I just started a colony and am not flush with cash. A colony heavily using AI cores will (depending on the colony) make 200-300k a month, so even if you do pay 600k-1M credits once a year, it's still coming out ahead by a wide margin. Alternatively, wipe out the Hegemony... :P

That is a matter of IF I establish colonies then focus on building for high profits before spreading AI. I take out the Hegemony, usually, especially if I side with the Persean League early and befriend Pirates and Pathers. Though I prefer doing it independent so I can take my time stealthily raiding colonies for blueprints before wiping them out using their own designs.

Especially Persean, Tri-Tach, and Sindrian colonies. Their expeditionary raid fleets are a nuisance even if my system can wipe them, so them going hostile is inevitable once I have my fill of exploration.

DubTre6

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 02:43:42 PM »

That is a matter of IF I establish colonies then focus on building for high profits before spreading AI. I take out the Hegemony, usually, especially if I side with the Persean League early and befriend Pirates and Pathers. Though I prefer doing it independent so I can take my time stealthily raiding colonies for blueprints before wiping them out using their own designs.

Especially Persean, Tri-Tach, and Sindrian colonies. Their expeditionary raid fleets are a nuisance even if my system can wipe them, so them going hostile is inevitable once I have my fill of exploration.

So what you're saying is...sat bomb everything?  ;) Got it

edited because I can't spell to save my life
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 02:45:55 PM by DubTre6 »

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 03:38:00 PM »

I've always felt dicey about commissions, worried that all the rep I've built with a faction will just disappear when my Commissioner declares war on them  :'(

That being said...Might try the Hedge - Seems like they might be more lenient on AI cores if I'm accepting a paycheck from them

Do not do this. Hegemony inspects even if you are commissioned to them.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 01:03:16 PM »

Correct. If you use AI cores, Hegemony will inspect you and you can't do anything about it.

DubTre6

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 02:56:33 PM »

Do not do this. Hegemony inspects even if you are commissioned to them.
Correct. If you use AI cores, Hegemony will inspect you and you can't do anything about it.

Thanks so much for all your input, I really appreciate the replies! Thank goodness I've been swamped at work this week, and haven't been able to start that new save yet  ;D

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 03:08:01 AM »

So what you're saying is...sat bomb everything?  ;) Got it
Wish it were that simple. I like your thinking, but I would rather be pals with Independent and Pirate factions. (And Luddic Church if you don't bother using Free Ports and profit from shady stuff). Sat Bombing makes Independent hostile, and you still need someone alive to export your goods and have a breather from Pirates hitting penalties on your colonies whenever they start partying in your systems.

In short, it's a "can't kill you, still need you" situation; Independent is just useful enough NOT to put them in the to-bomb list.
Pages: [1] 2 3