Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Increasing rep with Pirates  (Read 4364 times)

MasterOfMuffins

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Increasing rep with Pirates
« on: May 10, 2020, 05:08:45 AM »

Hi folks.  :D newly inducted noob from Sseths video.

Ive been playing the game for some hours after watching a tutorial video on the basics. Ive been doing a smugling neutral run for my first easy campaign.

I want to raise reputation with pirates, as i would like to trade without having to sneak in.
The scattered information i could find, says that by trading on the black market in factions, you raise reputation with pirates.

However i am stuck at -60  rep pirates even though i feel like ive done alot of black market trading. 
Any information on how to raise it without tanking other faction relations would be appreciated.

Is i the amount of money i trade for, or the amount of goods?
Is it only if you sell on the black market in factions?
Is it because my transponder is always of?

My primary profit is sneaking in, buying drugs on the black market producers and selling drugs/supplies to pirates with demands and marines to the Luddic Path.  im sitting around 500k profit so far.

I would like to know if im doing something wrong and if yes, then what.

Ive also been looking for missions, but only ever gotten 1, that only raised my reputation with pirates by 1.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing rep with Pirates
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 07:47:48 AM »

It is hard.  Keep doing missions as they come.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 07:53:43 AM »

And try not to kill pirates, who are trying to kill you.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Havoc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 10:12:28 AM »

I'm doing the same
it is realy hard( to not fight back)...

0 fights with pirates(loadspam^^)
cycle 211, 2mio credits, 0 colonys, -38 with pirates

most of the rep was from missions, but is realy hard
I've just read com sniffers are good to see more missions

I think black market trades gives me zero

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 10:33:03 AM »

Haven't tried, but it is possibly once you reach enough rep to use open markets on pirate planets, you will be able to increase rep by just trading enormous amount of goods on pirate open markets. Unprofitable, tho'.

Theoretically. Might be wrong.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 07:23:45 PM »

The most accessible method of building Pirate rep are missions, but exploration-based missions give the most turn out with the lowest risk (5 per mission), needing only fuel and supplies for the long haul.

For the safest possible method for doing such a plan, based on personal experience, is placing only 1 comm sniffer in a system where pirate missions are most likely to appear. Less stable Pirate colonies with constant shortages produce more missions than others, but other factions in the same system factor into the odds. Only 1 sniffer ensures it won't get scrubbed and provoke the faction owning the relay.

As for the fleet configurations, it would be more befitting a smuggler/explorer:

2 Hound/Cerberus w/ Safety Overrides, Unstable Injector, Efficiency Overhaul, and Solar Shielding - Hound is the fastest smuggling frigate unmodded, can outfly anything but the fastest of interceptors. Cerberus is if you want a bit more storage and want to match speed with a Dram with speed related hullmods. Shielded Cargo Holds significantly increase odds of black market goods not getting pinged by patrols.
Dram w/ Safety Overrides, Unstable Injector, Militarized Subsystems, and Efficiency Overhaul - most fuel range while able to provide burn speed to match with the mentioned frigate freighters.

The extra ships are on you, but this fleet setup allows outrunning from a lot of Pirate fleets without rep penalties for fighting back.

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 03:37:53 PM »

Something I want to add, and I don't know if this was a fluke in my last save or not. But after a while of my colonies trading with the pirates (and/or the LP which I did the same grinding with) the pirates and the path near-simultaneously threw a tantrum and I lost around 65 relation with the both of them.

Maybe it was from their trade convoys always getting smacked by the Hedge whenever they'd enter my systems? Maybe its a timed thing?

I really don't know why it happened, so don't take my speculation to heart.
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 04:59:57 PM »

Something I want to add, and I don't know if this was a fluke in my last save or not. But after a while of my colonies trading with the pirates (and/or the LP which I did the same grinding with) the pirates and the path near-simultaneously threw a tantrum and I lost around 65 relation with the both of them.

Maybe it was from their trade convoys always getting smacked by the Hedge whenever they'd enter my systems? Maybe its a timed thing?

did you have the nexerelin mod instaled, because if you have them it's 100% nexerelin.

DubTre6

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 05:13:34 PM »

did you have the nexerelin mod instaled, because if you have them it's 100% nexerelin.

No mods here, I just farmed survey missions with both factions until they didn't completely hate me. And then one day, as if out of the blue, they began hating me again.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 03:14:29 AM »

No mods here, I just farmed survey missions with both factions until they didn't completely hate me. And then one day, as if out of the blue, they began hating me again.

That is an extremely unusual circumstance, since that never happens in my runs, and I tend to have Pirates and Pathers on inhospitable before I set up colonies (especially Pirates). Hegemony attacks on pirate convoys do not affect player.

Factions going immediately hostile only happens if fleets attack with transponders on.

DubTre6

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 03:50:16 PM »

That is an extremely unusual circumstance, since that never happens in my runs, and I tend to have Pirates and Pathers on inhospitable before I set up colonies (especially Pirates). Hegemony attacks on pirate convoys do not affect player.

Factions going immediately hostile only happens if fleets attack with transponders on.

Well I may have actually blasted a convoy myself, by mistake. I can't remember the specifics of it now, as its been a few months since that playthrough (and I churn through saves at an unhealthy rate)