Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reduced shield flux from projectiles at shallow angles  (Read 2102 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Reduced shield flux from projectiles at shallow angles
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 03:01:35 PM »

I understood the original post, but many of the times you will hit things from a bad angle, especially when you've encircled the enemy, your ships often tend to move around, or phase skim if they have the ability, so the result will be quite unpredictable, and just prolong battles...

I don't know why you assume that a flanking ship's shots will be that much less accurate than those of a non-flanking ship. If you're talking about AI, fine, the AI would need to be adjusted to make it try to be more accurate - and THAT would undermine the point of the mechanic and perhaps counter it entirely. But if you're just talking about general play-of-combat, a ship that's moving around the battle to attack a target from the side or rear is just as likely to hit or miss as a ship approaching from its forward arc.

As far as the "predictability" of shots fired while moving goes, that already exists in the vanilla game - projectiles generally inherit the velocity of the ship firing them, so if you're moving sideways and fire forwards, the shot will track sideways a bit, sure. That already makes flanking harder, in the sense of hit or miss, but A) the AI already accounts for this just like it accounts for leading a moving target, and B) the player can account for this by learning how to adjust their aim based on their movement. Now, I'm a terrible shot anyway, but in a vacuum, would this mechanic make that effect so much worse?

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 03:14:34 PM »

I don't know why you assume that a flanking ship's shots will be that much less accurate than those of a non-flanking ship. If you're talking about AI, fine, the AI would need to be adjusted to make it try to be more accurate - and THAT would undermine the point of the mechanic and perhaps counter it entirely. But if you're just talking about general play-of-combat, a ship that's moving around the battle to attack a target from the side or rear is just as likely to hit or miss as a ship approaching from its forward arc.

As far as the "predictability" of shots fired while moving goes, that already exists in the vanilla game - projectiles generally inherit the velocity of the ship firing them, so if you're moving sideways and fire forwards, the shot will track sideways a bit, sure. That already makes flanking harder, in the sense of hit or miss, but A) the AI already accounts for this just like it accounts for leading a moving target, and B) the player can account for this by learning how to adjust their aim based on their movement. Now, I'm a terrible shot anyway, but in a vacuum, would this mechanic make that effect so much worse?

My opinion was purely anecdotal based on my game-play experiences. I do not like to pilot ships personally, and defer everything to the AI, only taking personal control of a ship in rare situations when moving a specific ship with the transfer command (button X) can save me a command point.

I just often observe shots skiming shields so I would not like OP's suggestion to be vanilla, or at least, if it does become vanilla, it should be an optional setting. Based on what I see, this suggestion would mess with the AI, prolong battles, and I think the average battle-length is just about good/pleasant currently :)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 03:25:39 PM »

Gotcha, that makes a decent amount of sense. I see a few AI shots go wide, but in my experience they tend to be accurate in general. I very much enjoy piloting a ship personally though (even if I'm not good at it) so perhaps I miss a lot of the AI action.

I agree that battle length/intensity seems pretty good right now, although I tend to play the small fights most. ;)

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 03:41:20 PM »

Gotcha, that makes a decent amount of sense. I see a few AI shots go wide, but in my experience they tend to be accurate in general. I very much enjoy piloting a ship personally though (even if I'm not good at it) so perhaps I miss a lot of the AI action.

I agree that battle length/intensity seems pretty good right now, although I tend to play the small fights most. ;)

OFF-Topic:
Thanks a lot for making the Disassemble-Reassemble mod btw. It's practically a must for every non-vanilla run for me. It adds so much to the 'toolbox'. Most favourite thing is the Ember Wing, been insanely useful in many play throughs :P

ON-Topic:
I enjoy the overall tactics aspects of the game, picking the right ships, right loadouts and tactics. I think if you want to see a lot of shots hit things from weird angles, the fights against star fortresses are a pretty good source. Ships tend to be quite stationary and rotate themselves as the star fortress rotates, so they won't stay facing it, generally speaking.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 03:44:19 PM by dead_hand »

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 05:00:46 PM »

OFF-Topic:
Thanks a lot for making the Disassemble-Reassemble mod btw. It's practically a must for every non-vanilla run for me. It adds so much to the 'toolbox'. Most favourite thing is the Ember Wing, been insanely useful in many play throughs :P

... Well then. ;D That's, ah... Not great news. You're probably the first person to find a use for it...
Spoiler
... It's being removed.
[close]

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2020, 05:17:37 PM »

OFF-Topic:

... Well then. ;D That's, ah... Not great news. You're probably the first person to find a use for it...
Spoiler
... It's being removed.
[close]

Oh no :-( Why? Is there any chance to save it?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2020, 05:37:30 PM »

Oh no :-( Why? Is there any chance to save it?

Being removed because it's just a weird thing that was struggling to fulfill its purpose The sprite might return as a different fighter at some point, but the role of kinetic bomber is being dropped for now.

It's being semi-replaced by a new remnant heavy interceptor - also the Argent (which is what the Ember should have been competing with but was utterly trampling) has received a moderate buff by way of a cost reduction.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 05:18:58 AM »

But shields absorb the weapon impact, they don't deflect like armor. If a projectile hits a glancing blow against a shield, the shield still has to absorb the same amount of energy so it'd take the same amount of damage.
Glancing shots make more sense for armor because a glancing shot goes through MUCH more armor and thus hits against higher defense. But that kind of thing is already a canon aspect of talents (impact mitigation) and we can already turn a ship to use its stronger armor.
Pages: 1 [2]