Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What form of Campaign leveling would you prefer?

Standard XP
Buy upgrades as levels
XP and Upgrade buying

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Campaign leveling.  (Read 21305 times)

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign leveling.
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 10:25:47 PM »

Flare i love your idea, its brilliant.

The each one effecting surrounding ones could be expanded, if your circle is lopsided for example if you focus all on leadership and nothing other skills you get a penalty to everything else but a bonus to leadership to further enforce what you are focusing on, a balanced circle with every skill being even would be neutral a guy focusing on leadership would get even higher leadership modifers but a penalty to other stuff.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 10:56:52 PM »

I see where you're going, something like this right?

http://ellantoby.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/izayastats.png

Maybe these upgrade paths don't have to be permanent, like you could always retrain your character to fit another sort of job. There'd be time and resources associated with retraining someone of course, like the future refit screens.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:59:40 PM by Flare »
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

jdb1917

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 04:34:09 AM »

i'm sorry, i didin't mean he should copy another game... ill restate then. id like individually trainable skills where you gain experience through use, not just the simple lvl up gain stats from other rpg like games. something where you get really good at what your play style entails. for example you give lots of detailed commands, your leadership will get high allowing more precise commands to be given, or if you always fly a frigate then you will naturally have better maneuvering due to the experience youve gained piloting small vessels. the reason i mentioned jagged alliance 2 is that i haven't seen this system emplyed anywere else  :'(

SolCat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 07:32:52 PM »

Hm... just adding in my two catnips here...

The way I see things, it seems to me there should be two types of experience gaining going on here.
The main experience gain from the player/captain/commander to be used for general type of skills, i.e. bartering and trading skills, faster repairs out of battle, faster movement, higher efficency in making munitions from supplies (making more with what you got); general types of skills that can be used regardless of ship types.

The secondary type of experience going into ship types, after all commanding a small little manueverable frigate isn't quite the same as captaining a big giant multi gigatonne hulk of armor and weaponry. Experience gained here only affects the ship type (ie, frigate exp affects all frigate types, all capital exp affects all capitals). The skills related to this are more for combat, i.e faster reloading, better aim, improved crew co-ordination and stuff like that?

Sorry if it doesn't make sense. Y'know, that catnip chew toy is really distracting and all, and the voice ofmice are everywhere, taunting the cats' inability to get cheezburgers.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 04:31:32 AM »

I'd like to see EXP, but I don't want selectable skills to put points in.. What if I realize I've made a bad character build later?

CaptanSpudsy

• Lieutenant
  • Meanwhile, in Spudland.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 02:08:01 PM »

I'd like to see EXP, but I don't want selectable skills to put points in.. What if I realize I've made a bad character build later?

Exactly, I think that if that happens, then you should at least be able to wipe the skills but retain the points for a large sum of money.
Mjolnir Cannons and Hepatitis in the large slots.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »

Part of me just wants to say 'tough ***, buck up ***', but that would be REALLY undiplomatic xD

But yeah, the obvious answer is a retrain ability. Personally, for a game that is supposed to deliver a captain, flotilla,  and fleet experience at the player's discretion, I don't think any kind of fixed level track makes sense.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 02:44:38 PM »

I'll cry.  :'(
I think any leveling of your captain should really be Real Life leveling of your skill at the game... The rest can be achieved by purchasable fleet upgrades (which must be unlocked by tech-mining abandoned worlds...?)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 01:25:46 AM »

^THIS!

The day that crap happen in this game is the day I drop it. I've seen to many games ruined by such mechanics. I don't want to be forced to keep starting over because of a mistake, a miscalculation, my taste drifting or a simple damn miss click.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2012, 02:41:54 AM »

Even at the cost of being able to play the game the way you want to? Even if there's a simple retrain ability you can shell out a few credits for?

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 02:47:46 AM »

Even at the cost of being able to play the game the way you want to? Even if there's a simple retrain ability you can shell out a few credits for?
Yes! A retrain ability is fine as long as there is no limit to it. I'm just so tired of games locking you into something for whatever reason, usually it's just laziness. It's a trend that needs to stop.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2012, 02:52:57 AM »

You've got no argument for me on that. I don't like getting stuck either, because my OCD demands perfection.

Again though, having a set D&D style 'linear with small selections' style leveling system is abrasively out of place. Players ought to be able to put points into whatever they damn well please, charisma for winning over politicians and bribing system defense forces, haggling skill for prices, fleet logistics skills to lower the chance of accidents, fleet combat skills to increase the amount of starting fleet points in any given engagement, engineering to pimp your ship out, whatever you damn well please.

I think it's necessary for a procedural open world, sandbox game like Starfarer.

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2012, 03:09:40 AM »

I would honestly like something how XCOM did the stats, set stats from the start (your own you can be changed within a few points at the start) every other you get has their set points, and as they level, it goes up based on *1. What type of combat they engage in the most ect. 2. A system that allows you to place a number of points based on total level, into which ever stat you want, maybe unlocking bonuses? 3. Add those two together making it so if you don't use one thing as often, but you know you'll need it, so you can put points into it, yet at the same time something you use most of the time goes up on its own and is less of a point hog from other things.*

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2012, 03:43:25 AM »

No, exactly what we don't want. It means you need a new file to change your play style.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2012, 04:32:41 AM »

Didn't xcom have random stats? That's just going to turn into a game of endless restart till you get them the way you want, bad idea.

I'm more for just spending credits on upgrades.
Combine that with those special keys that unlock technology and you have a nice little system.
Some keys can be in the hands of factions that will only allow it's use if you are in good enough standing with them.
Others can be bought or 'liberated' from collectors and other people.
Some could be locked away in dangerous and remote locations.

That adds a lot to the game with just a simple to understand mechanic and it's all credit/slot based and can be modified with only a cost in time and credits.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4