Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Garbage emails from this domain  (Read 545 times)

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
Garbage emails from this domain
« on: May 05, 2020, 09:53:09 AM »

I've received a couple emails masking their origin from this domain. They don't seem to contain anything but this bit of Spanish yet.

[attachment deleted by admin]
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Garbage emails from this domain
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 10:09:02 AM »

I reported something similar to Alex via PM a few weeks ago.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Garbage emails from this domain
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 10:21:23 AM »

Yeah... after TJJ reached out a while back, I made sure - or, rather, asked the hosting people to make sure - that the server was not sending out spam. It was not. Also, from the email headers in TJJs case, the email was not sent from the fractalsoftworks server but from some server in Ireland. I've also added an SPF record at that time, to make email address spoofing more difficult.

I've received a couple emails masking their origin from this domain. They don't seem to contain anything but this bit of Spanish yet.

In this specific case - unless I'm reading it wrong - the forum email is just the in "name" field, right? So it doesn't seem like an SPF record would help with that, since it's not pretending to send from that address.

This isn't something I can do anything about, as it appears to be entirely external to the server. In any case, thank you for the heads up! FWIW, there have been very intermittent reports of this sort of thing for almost as long as I can remember.

Edit: in fact, I vaguely seem to remember that one of those much-earlier reports may have been from you as well? Not 100% sure.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 10:29:57 AM by Alex »