Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: [0.97a] More HullMods 1.12.0  (Read 186322 times)

Klokinator

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] More HullMods 1.6.0
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2020, 02:49:51 AM »

If I could suggest a mod, how about 'Regenerative Missiles'?

All missiles with limited ammunition now gain a 10 second fabrication time between creating new salvos, giving all of them infinite usage during combat. However, in exchange, their engagement range and damage both drop by -33%.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2020, 06:04:56 AM »

That's actually a neat idea but it can severely broken the game when player use Overriden ship with Cyclone Reaper. Even capital can greatly benefit from this like Legion and Onslaught Annihilator spam. Not mention the downside can be easily negated with officer skill.

But let's hear what PureTilt have to say on the matter.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2020, 08:22:32 AM »

You want the "Missiles and Sundry" mod, then.

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=14921.0

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2020, 03:22:29 PM »

Missiles and Sundry make other mod effectively unusable because the change too much to be compatible with other mods.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

megabot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2020, 08:32:49 AM »

hey umm, not every mod is shown in the description. could you please add them?

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] More HullMods 1.7.0
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2021, 06:46:35 AM »

That unstable shields nerf seems EXTREMELY harsh to me. I think either of the two changes would probably be fine on its own but together its hard to justify ever using it.

[EDIT] With some more testing, I think I was too hard on the change, or maybe the changelog isn't really accurate? Its hard to tell exactly whats going on with it. The changelog doesn't mention it now also takes longer for shields to START decaying while deployed, which does make a big difference. I still dont like how long they have to be down to START "repairing" though. I think taking 6 seconds to recharge fully is fine, but the new long delay means you almost have to be totally out of a fight to start getting them back. I think this is bad because it just encourages and rewards shield flicking even more than it did before, especially with ships that have normally terrible shields.

Maybe experiment with having the shields both decay and recharge very slowly, but start recharging almost immediately when closed. That way flicking wouldn't be as good, and making the choice to let them deploy more isn't as permanent of a downside.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 06:25:09 PM by HeartofDiscord »

TheNotReallyMyName

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2021, 05:51:50 AM »

You can safely change line 7 in mod_info.json to this
"gameVersion":"0.95a-RC8",
Doesn't seem to break the game, but you'll need console commands to get the hullmods.

captinjoehenry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2021, 02:30:11 PM »

Doesn't seem to break the game, but you'll need console commands to get the hullmods.
Do the hull mods work properly though?  As if so that's super exciting!

TheNotReallyMyName

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2021, 05:19:35 AM »

Do the hull mods work properly though?  As if so that's super exciting!
All seems to work fine, not sure about torpedo specs or unstable shield, but everything else works.

Wywern

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] More HullMods 1.8.0
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2021, 08:13:46 AM »

I think the weapon inhibitor nerf is too harsh. 10% RoF and 10% damage is 19% DPS lost, which overpowers the benefit of 20% less flux in most situations, since just dropping 20% of your weapons loses you the same amount of damage, and instead of costing ordinance points, it gives you more. The mod went from a good mod on flux-starved ships with high amounts of ballistics to a mod that is almost detrimental in most circumstances. Now you'd need to be desperate to make your weapons 12.5% more efficient at a cost to your OP and DPS, when for example just adding in flux distributor will increase your flux venting while not reducing your DPS by a chunk. I don't think it's a reasonable trade given that ballistics deal hard flux and almost all specialize in efficiency, whether inherently and/or by dealing HE or kinetic damage. I used to use weapon inhibitors quite a bit on ships like the onslaught and the dominator, but I don't think it has almost any place now.

Personally, if giving ballistics a higher flux efficiency was such a problem, I'd suggest changing the nerf to change the 10% rate of fire decrease to a 10% damage reduction instead of giving both -10% RoF and damage. This would have the effect of reducing the damage per flux efficiency gained, and would bring weapon inhibitors in line with the much more powerful voltage regulation system.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2021, 12:16:53 PM »

I just wanted to swing by to say, I sat yesterday & played Forlone Hope and realized that this is my favorite mod. Everything in this mod pack is interesting, creates interesting & new gameplay possibilities. I was running a Fortress Shield Paragon with emergency venting system, flux booster & resistant flux conduits & forcing the enemy to make me overload every time so I can hot-vent in their face & be back up & running with a full fortress shield ready to go in seconds and it was incredibly fun.
Fuel Additive is a must-have (augmented drive field is just too much), hyper engine upgrade is exactly point-for-point a mod that I've wanted for a long time, I use torpedo spec constantly, & integrated armor is a really cool & clever mod.
And! They're ALL vanilla friendly!! You've managed to make a modpack with at least 5 mods on par with Safety Overrides in terms of how much of a game-changer they are, and they're ALL VANILLA FRIENDLY?! Its madness!!
13/10. I love it. I'll never play this game again without this. I'm literally being driven to the brink of insanity by how much this mod is exactly what I want it to be

my ooone tiny little itty bitty criticism is, it feels like anti-armor ammunition is a little on the low side. For 5 OP on a frigate, it gives 20% bonus but only to armor & does nothing against shields (which you'll be hitting the most) & hull (which is the most important)? Feels a little underwhelming -- any guns that need a boost to their anti-armor isnt gonna benefit enough by that to make a difference enough to be worth 5 OP. Plus expanded missile racks give a +100% to a ship's capacity to nuke its way through armor and only costs slightly more. If the bonus were, like, from +40% to +60% I think it would be a bit more viable without yet becoming a must-pick -- good enough for ships with no missiles that u arent putting explosives onto, but not good enough to use on anything else bc a single LAG or harpoon rack is enough to make that obsolete

it was pretty obvious to me that the purpose of weapon inhibitor is to be a second tier of flux distributor, IE dont use this unless you've got OP to spare, have maxed out flux vents, AND have flux distributor, AND have stabilized shield AND STILL dont have enough flux to run your guns. It isn't like integrated targeting unit, you arent supposed to use it on most ships, or even a few ships, ur just supposed to use it when you've reached the hard limit of how much flux you can squeeze out of a ship & still dont have enough, and absolutely cannot bring yourself to remove a gun.
It's also a low-OP alternative to flux distributor in case you've reached the point where u need it but dont have enough OP for it.
Im actually quite happy with where its at! I think its perfect. It's half the OP of FD, and is 1:1 in cost to reward, it should never be run on a normal ship bc the cost is 1 thing basically no ship can ever afford to give up (damage) & you can get the same result and cost WHILE GETTING OP INSTEAD OF SPENDING IT just by removing guns, so it stays niche & doesnt overlap anything you can already do in vanilla, which keeps it vanilla friendly, while filling in a gap that the base-game has. If it was better so as to be a viable option it would no longer be vanilla friendly
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 12:39:05 PM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

CrixM

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2021, 07:39:01 AM »

The fact you think anti-armor munition is bad is enough to disregard your entire post

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2021, 08:21:55 AM »

The fact you think anti-armor munition is bad is enough to disregard your entire post

This isn't reddit, please be more constructive.
Posting an answer just to say 'your post is bad' is quite the opposite of being constructive. I and many others on this forum like to keep it a toxicity-free place where anyone can discuss matters without fear of getting an unfriendly answer.
Thank you for keeping this in mind for future posts  :)
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2021, 11:29:02 AM »

Damage buff hullmods of any sort (be it +Penetration like this hullmod, +ROF, +Damage vs specific targets or even just raw +Damage) are very rare, even in mods, because they're easy to make wrong and turn into must-haves.

Anyways, the initial analysis is incorrect, due to fundamentally misunderstanding what the hullmod is doing.  Anti-Armor Ammunition increases the hit strength of weapons by +20% for the purpose of armor-based damage reduction: This increases damage dealt to armor yes, but hull as well due to 5% residual armor effects.  This can have significant effect on both cracking armor and peeling out hull, especially for weapons with intrinsically low hit strength (LAGs, almost all Frag and KE based weapons).

It's not a huge effect, but it's not a huge cost either; Hullmod isn't budget breaking at 5/10/15/25, so it's a step under Hardened Shields and several steps beneath Hardened Armor.  Which is fine, not everything has to be a huge 40 OP stat bar, and cheaper hullmods with weaker effects

By contrast, Anti-Armor Ammunition would become a must-have at +40-60% effect, even with an accompanied OP increase.

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2021, 03:20:56 AM »

All missiles with limited ammunition now gain a 10 second fabrication time between creating new salvos, giving all of them infinite usage during combat. However, in exchange, their engagement range and damage both drop by -33%.
I have a different idea. Remove any spare ammunition from the launcher. Instead launchers generate a new full salvo after a prolonged cooldown between shots - you can no longer deal as much of burst damage but could potentially fire more salvos in long term. Might be useful if your ships uses a couple of torpedo launchers to take down overloaded ships but otherwise relies on energies or ballistics. Basically the ammo magazine is replaced with nanoforge.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5