Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Loadouts for new midline heavy cruiser (Alex's Twitter)  (Read 6252 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Loadouts for new midline heavy cruiser (Alex's Twitter)
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2020, 02:16:14 PM »

You know what hits me, looking over that things' weapon mounts... it's very similar to the old Aurora, isn't it?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2020, 02:18:25 PM »

Seeing as how the ship could be customized in many different ways, Whatever is a suitable name for it. It has a nice ring to it being midline and all.

Welcome aboard Player Ship Eh, a Whatever class heavy cruiser currently the backbone of of a fleet of Eagles and Falcons with majestic names like "Majesty" and "1ql3kjnasdlfasd"

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2020, 07:11:53 PM »

Seeing as how the ship could be customized in many different ways, Whatever is a suitable name for it. It has a nice ring to it being midline and all.

Welcome aboard Player Ship Eh, a Whatever class heavy cruiser currently the backbone of of a fleet of Eagles and Falcons with majestic names like "Majesty" and "1ql3kjnasdlfasd"
Imagine the poor talon pilot that has to paint THAT on the ship's hull!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2020, 07:56:23 PM »

I wonder which faction will field them.

Hegemony seems likely. The League uses the conquest, so it's not impossible. I would doubt the TT, Pirates, Luddites 1 and 2. Possible independent but rare. And I don't know the kinds of fleets the Diktat use or the Lions Guard, or whatever they are called.

What do you lot think?

This has the League and the Diktat written all over it.

Also, this thing is going to be a BEAST with high energy focus, good lord.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2020, 12:23:19 AM »

Hegemony seems likely. The League uses the conquest, so it's not impossible. I would doubt the TT, Pirates, Luddites 1 and 2. Possible independent but rare. And I don't know the kinds of fleets the Diktat use or the Lions Guard, or whatever they are called.

What do you lot think?

It's likely, but that said the League don't use cruisers like the eagle and this is a heavy cruiser after all.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »

Spoiler

What do you lot think?

[close]

It's likely, but that said the League don't use cruisers like the eagle and this is a heavy cruiser after all.
The League does field carrier cruisers, while the Diktat favors warship cruisers. This looks more like a Diktat ship than a League ship. The Hegemony has the Dominator and Eagle (pre and early Cruiser school disciplines).

The ship system means we get something besides the Sunder and Tempest for energy strike ships. (Sunder is the first large energy mount ship with HEF.) I normally use that with burst charge weapons or a plain Plasma Cannon. But boosting the ion cannon or pulser, despite the range, makes for an interesting upset.

And the Hammer Barrage gets some recognition on a proper forward mount besides the Gryphon and Legion XIV variant. Luddic Path ships made the weapon built in or a given, so doubt they'd count.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2020, 09:56:28 AM »

I'm a little sad it's not low tech because I feel that roster needs fleshing out the most, but it does look cool and dear god those mounts.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2020, 02:13:37 PM »

Like Wyvern wrote, this ship seems much like old pre-0.7.2a Aurora, not only in mounts, but also High Energy Focus.  (Aurora's original system was High Energy Focus.)  I guess this is bringing back the old Aurora in a roundabout way.  Instead of two heavy blasters, player can use plasma cannon (or kinetics plus heavy beam).  I guess the mediums are hybrid and player could use two heavy blasters, but with the large energy mount, why do that when plasma cannon is a better energy weapon than mediums, not to mention ballistics are usually better than energy weapons.

And the Hammer Barrage gets some recognition on a proper forward mount besides the Gryphon and Legion XIV variant. Luddic Path ships made the weapon built in or a given, so doubt they'd count.
I would not count Pather ships since they have the weapon built-in, not to mention its Colossus is terrible.

Also, Cyclone Reaper.  Old Aurora with Cyclone Reaper and Missile Spec. was a killer.

Nitpick:  Conquest has forward mounts, but since it is a broadsides ship, dumb-fire missiles that do not point with broadsides is not very useful for such ships.  Conquest is as awkward as Apogee when it comes to missiles.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 02:16:41 PM by Megas »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2020, 11:45:48 PM »

I wonder if the new light high-tech cruiser will have a new system or not.

Reading back on this, what? There is a light cruiser for hightech in the works too? Isn't the Aurora already pretty light? First I've heard of this.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2020, 12:20:16 AM »

Not even close, I think ''light'' and ''heavy'' tags are more about potential firepower than speed. Since Dom and the new heavy midline cruiser are 25 DP, Aurora would then be a super heavy cruiser, or just elite. For its system, seeing how Alex said it'll be an upscaled Shrike, it's very possible it has a mobility system.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Abraxas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2020, 08:25:42 AM »

4 tac lasers + HIL + 2 HVD for the 1000 range supression platform.

IR/ion + 2 heavy needlers + Autopulse for instant ship deletion. Probably with SO, too (and HMG instead of needlers? depends on the speed).

The large missile is ALWAYS hammer barrage.

Or Hurricane.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2020, 08:31:10 AM »

Not even close, I think ''light'' and ''heavy'' tags are more about potential firepower than speed. Since Dom and the new heavy midline cruiser are 25 DP, Aurora would then be a super heavy cruiser, or just elite. For its system, seeing how Alex said it'll be an upscaled Shrike, it's very possible it has a mobility system.

I though they were 'heavy' because they have large turreted slots? Making the Aurora a normal cruiser for only having mediums.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2020, 08:35:32 AM »

I though they were 'heavy' because they have large turreted slots? Making the Aurora a normal cruiser for only having mediums.
Sooo Mudskipper MkII is an ultra heavy frigate. Actually I quite like the sound of it.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2020, 08:41:28 AM »

Sooo Mudskipper MkII is an ultra heavy frigate. Actually I quite like the sound of it.

8) The pirates are the true innovators! (But by god are those terrible ships, even when armed with medium guns they just SUCK.)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2020, 09:29:07 AM »

I thought of "light" and "heavy" descriptors as relating to their overall power. Light ships are less powerful and expensive DP-wise than their peers (and typically of higher burn level as well), while heavy ships are more powerful and expensive DP-wise.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4