Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Loadouts for new midline heavy cruiser (Alex's Twitter)  (Read 6184 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Loadouts for new midline heavy cruiser (Alex's Twitter)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 04:27:05 PM »

Hopefully, its stats are on par with the other cruisers and not be a Gryphon Mk.2 that cannot fight at the front line.  If it really is a good cruiser, then the game will finally have something useful that can use all of those relatively widespread Hammer Barrages that I never use because no ship is good enough to use them aside from Legion14.  Of course, Hammers run out too quickly, and I will probably default to Locusts late in the game.

If the small hardpoints are all energy, I probably will leave them empty if ship is OP starved enough.

P.S.  Looks like it can do the unblockable kinetics and lance combo.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 04:30:04 PM by Megas »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 04:41:55 PM »

I like the Gryphon: It pulls its weight as a light missile cruiser. Loadout was 3x anni, 1x Hammer Barrage, 2x Harpoon pods, HVD and some vulcans. It was successfully participating on and near the front lines, among other ships. It reliably gets opportunity kills from the Harpoons, while its frontal unguided rockets push back attackers. The Hammer barrage was what I had available for the outfitting, but it did fire them successfully in real combat, cracking armor. No officer.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 04:41:59 PM »

You are all thinking too inside the box...

Safety Overrides. Plasma Cannon, 2 Heavy Blasters, 4 AM Blasters, Squall (to soften shields). "Press F+LMB to erase target."

;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 04:54:16 PM by FooF »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »

Yeah, it does have some serious alpha strike potential. SO would help it get into range faster, wouldn't it? If its hull and armor are high enough, it just may get the chance to do it multiple times per battle. :o

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 04:58:53 PM »

You know, depending on the speed of this thing, SO with Assault Chaingun and Heavy MG in the Hybrids with all those Small Energy utilizing IR Pulse (+HEF) and an Autopulse or HIL would be ridiculous. I guess a Hammer Barrage in the Missile slot but I feel like we're getting into overkill territory.

Just use it like an up-gunned Hammerhead that also happens to have a murder-beam and an instagib launcher attached.

FAX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 05:25:08 PM »

A large energy & a large missile & some kinetics, okay there may be some similarities between new heavy cruiser and Prometheus MK.II.

Hammer barrage is good i think, like how i fit the Prometheus II. As for 2 hybrid slots, choose Needler or  Autogun will depend on the flux level it actually has IMO
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 05:37:20 PM by FAX »

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 05:28:57 PM »

Rarely do hardpoints and their arcs spell "i will cave your face in" that clearly, and despite that it still got decent speed and full coverage of pd slots.

A bad shield with high passive flux would be the obvious weakness (first midline cruiser to do so, Conquest and Sunder being BC and DD) so bet on stabilised/hardened combo if you want it to be closer that 1k+ range build. Other than that i'm already ignoring the small slots and fitting it as a super-Sunder.

However what's the name? Probably a very mean big bird. Terrorbird? Casoar? What's sure is that my first one will be Woody Woodpecker, the only appropriate name for something designed to drill skulls.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 06:08:55 PM »

It surely needs better shield and flux stats than the Dominator. The Dom has 2 larges already + 3 extra medium missile (+one extra small slot but who cares). It appears to be decently fast, from the GIF but kinda hard to judge clearly, but then again the Dom has Burn Drive...

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2020, 07:27:50 PM »

However what's the name? Probably a very mean big bird. Terrorbird? Casoar? What's sure is that my first one will be Woody Woodpecker, the only appropriate name for something designed to drill skulls.

Could go with the Thunderbird, I suppose.

Osprey?

Oh, I got it...The Whalehead (a.k.a. Shoebill) :P

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2020, 09:00:50 PM »

Yeah, it does have some serious alpha strike potential. SO would help it get into range faster, wouldn't it? If its hull and armor are high enough, it just may get the chance to do it multiple times per battle. :o

And also cut its range hugely. The dominator has burn drive and the Aurora has 80 base speed and plasma jets. The cut from ITU (which costs less) to SO is pretty huge, about 500 units for a plasma cannon, so 10 seconds of engagement time is lost if youre starting at the edge.

So i dont see it doing a lot there if its slower than an eagle and has no mobility active and has cruiser armor/shields and could be cycling HeF in the mean time.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2020, 09:41:08 PM »

Name: Secretarybird!

I don't care that this would be a strange sounding name as it actually has "bird" in it - these things are awesome.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2020, 11:13:34 PM »

Well the look of the bird and the look of the ship kinda clash so it's not really about the name. Bird with long, thin legs and then this beast.

Taking a second look at the ship I can't help but remind myself of the small energy weapon problem again. It seems those 4 frontal energies are turrets (perhaps with a narrow arc), so maybe you're gonna use them for PD, or Tac lasers. But let's say you have a Paladin PD as shown in the gif, what are your options then? Whatever you put there, you're cutting your effective range in half. Walking up to something with AM blasters is probably gonna take so long you won't even have the flux to fire it in the end. Ion cannons as shown are not terrible since at least they got some range, but it's going to take forever to kill anything and that's a lot of OP spent. Lastly the IR Pulse, the only assault weapon in smalls, again 500 range for a slow ship with no mobility is not really smart. In the end I see myself leaving those mounts empty and focusing on bigger mounts and hullmods (since we know it won't have amazing dissipation), unless I need some front PD.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2020, 12:28:15 AM »

I wouldnt worry to much about it. Alex is p good at the ship making stuffs

I cant help but feel it looks like the eraser head on a pencil. With the ridge being the metal groves before the eraser.

If we have to stick to bird names then a Turkey is a short, large, pungacous bird... but that assumes its a PL doctine ship. It could be on the conquest line of names so a victory, eraser, Preserver, defender, gatecrasher... it could also be on the hammerhead line and be a bull shark or a thresher. It could be aomething new and be called a Bulldozer. It could be on the Sunder line and could be something like a cleaver, demolisher, or perferator. It could be on the greek line (tgough should not be) and called a hercules. Or it could be a new line and he called whatever

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2020, 01:18:12 AM »

Seeing as how the ship could be customized in many different ways, Whatever is a suitable name for it. It has a nice ring to it being midline and all.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2020, 02:06:59 PM »

The new cruiser sort of looks like an extra-large Hammerhead.  Call it... Jaws (great white)?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4