Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which ship do you think is the ugliest?  (Read 3064 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Which ship do you think is the ugliest?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 07:34:26 PM »

*autistic screeching*

(Let's not, eh? That's not cool.)

Kanil

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 02:49:37 PM »

The Hyperion doesn't really look like a ship so much as it looks like the guns you put on it. This one just doesn't work.

The Drover works, but it's ugly. I get that it's supposed to just be a no-frills box of fighters, but did it really need to be a literal box?

Abraxas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 05:50:54 PM »

Guardian.  It is nicely symmetrical, but it definitely not pretty.

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 09:29:42 AM »

Any of the unsymmetrical ones really, but I really hate how the Conquest looks. Why would you create two separate struts instead of merging them together? I can think of no practical purpose for this other than if one gets destroyed, they other one can keep fighting. But that doesn't seem to be much of an advantage when you have to arm both struts. And think of how inconvenient it would be to go from one strut to the other. Conquest should look like a battleship with big guns going down the middle that can turn 300 degrees or so with smaller guns lining the sides. Would be much more flux efficient and probably more structurally sound.

Also, not a ship but close to it. I hate how ship hull are represented as Hounds. Not just because I also think Hounds look dumb when they should look super cool (they're the premier smuggling ship after all) but also because I think Alex can come up with a better icon purpose-made for the commodity like every other one.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:56:36 AM by StarScum »

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 10:16:50 AM »

If anything the civilian model kite might better represent ship hulls, being one of the more common and classic shuttle designs.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

shrek_luigi

• Ensign
  • im green as ****
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 12:05:53 PM »

i LIKE asymmetrical ships!! :(

medusa is real damn ugly
@Shrek_luigi: While I applaud your choice of flagship, please don't circumvent the profanity filter.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 01:19:41 PM »

I'd probably say Monitor, Buffalo Mk.II, and the Remnant ships are the ugliest, but I think the Buffalo2 and Remnant ships are supposed to be jarring.

Also, not a ship but close to it. I hate how ship hull are represented as Hounds. Not just because I also think Hounds look dumb when they should look super cool (they're the premier smuggling ship after all) but also because I think Alex can come up with a better icon purpose-made for the commodity like every other one.

That grates on me, too.

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2020, 04:47:03 PM »

Gremlin, no contest. Name is fitting.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 11:35:48 AM »

The only ship in the game I genuinely dislike the appearance of, is the Drover.
I find something fundamentally offputting about a bland beige box that looks like it's "flying" in the wrong direction.

(Maybe it's the structural equivalent of dazzle camouflage?)

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 12:17:07 PM »

Interesting to me all the drover hate. I always liked it because it vaguely reminded me of this guy-

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/159927/assets/718173/flurrymain_by_jaythurman-d9eusgp.png?1490814762

calvin1211

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2020, 08:13:57 AM »

Allow me to second the Drover for ugliest ship; I have nothing against the concept of a box filled with fighters, but the way the Drover is laid out just looks off, like there's not enough space in the rear half for all the fighter storage and maintenance facilities and the bridge and the engines and storage and crew quarters etc, especially with the entire front half taken up by the oversized launch/recovery platform. It's particularly bad in the very middle, where the hangar roof is drawn back even more and the engine greeble pipes extend forward.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2020, 08:42:00 AM »

Drover - because i see 3 launch decks for 3 hangars but only 2 hangars present.
Pages: 1 [2]