Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which ship do you think is the ugliest?  (Read 3100 times)

fastdino

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Which ship do you think is the ugliest?
« on: April 14, 2020, 03:59:12 AM »

For me, the least aesthetically appealing ship is the Enforcer. It barely has any distinctive ship like features, like where the hell is the cockpit or bridge? Is it the protruding bumper like structure at the front? The only thing informing me that this indeed is a spaceship is the two awkwardly protruding thrusters on this thing. Also, for a beefy armor-clad low tech ship, there is gaps in between the hull. Despite that, it at the very least looks robust, with the ship resembling more of a station module than an actual coherent ship design.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Which ship do you think is the ugliest?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 04:42:48 AM »

The Astral, followed by the Hyperion. The Oddysee is also a bit too weird for my taste.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 04:57:18 AM »

Frankly I wouldn't call any ship in vanilla exactly ugly, but if I had to pick one which just doesn't click with me it would probably be Aurora. In general I'm not a huge fan of asymmetrical ships, but some can work and actually look dope. Aurora on the other hand looks like a big blob composed of smaller blobs to me.  It's just weird bubbles with tacked on hardpoints, if it weren't the usual high tech blue color, I'd say it's an alien ship of some sort.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 06:41:49 AM »

Asymmetric ships, in general.

Also, ships whose best loadouts leave most mounts empty because flux, hullmods, and/or fighters are more important than guns.  I dislike warships that work best with only one or two big guns while the remaining half-dozen or more mounts are empty because flux and hullmods are more important than guns.

As for individual ships, it is a toss-up between Apogee and Odyssey.  Apogee because it has mounts stick out in weird angles.  Odyssey because it seems the best plasma cannon loadouts for player use leave most mounts empty, and player min-maxes hard to get enough flux to sustain two plasma cannons and win shoot-outs with just about anything to the left of Odyssey.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 07:37:11 AM »

To me the Doom is probably the ugliest, because its sprite shape is basically defined by the phase coils and weapons with little else. When you look at it naked, it could be anything but not necessarily a spaceship.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 07:39:37 AM »

Now that I think about it, you are right. Phase ships are just padding around a phase coil rather then anything resembling a space craft or boat.

They are kinda terrible looking.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 07:49:03 AM »

Pirate colossus
Spoiler
[close]

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 09:07:37 AM »

Sunder. Great ship I like very much in early battle, but it is looks like piece of $@^^%*(&!$#%&!
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 09:27:57 AM »

I wouldn't criticize ships for being ugly; ugly can be good if it's intended! Cobbled together, higgledy-piggledy designs are IMO some of the best!

It's characterless designs, or designs that don't properly convey their 3rd dimension, that I'm not fond of.

Dominator, Doom, Afflictor, Gremlin, etc.

Overly square/rectangular ships in particular seem to fail to portray their 3rd dimension well.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 09:44:42 AM »

Doom (the ugliest one), Aurora, Apogee, Hammerhead, Drover, Conquest, all tankers.

The prettiest ones are Shrike(HT), Odyssey and Legion.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 12:41:21 PM »

My takeaway from SS vanilla graphics style is that David did something unique and a little risky. For some ships the style pays off well, for others not so well. It would be a pity to recommend that some ships should look more like spaceships and less like modern industrial art, but for a select few I think things could be improved.

Phase ships all have their hulls molded tightly around the phase coils. It works for Afflictor, which reminds me of the unholy union of a sports car and a candelabra. But not so well for the others.

Some have jarring styles, like the Astral's 'tentacle arms' not meshing with the overall awesome visuals of the flight decks. It could use more bulk. The Aurora is hurt by having its mounts randomly distributed all over and hiding much of the ship aesthetic. I had the Aurora and Wolf in mind when I suggested that ship sprites should be able to be drawn at least in part on top of weapon mounts / sprites. Imagine the noses of either ship drawn on top and the forward weapons underneath and their hardpoints invisible. Other ships appear a little flat, like Dominator. It has distinct boxing glove arms but instead of them appearing lower (or even higher) and differently shaded from the rest of the ship, it's all uniform, same color palette, on one plane.

For some new ships like Drover or Gremlin and to a lesser degree Harbinger, the opportunity for interesting shapes was passed up instead of, essentially, squares. These are also the only ones where I'd say things could be improved without having to get into an argument over style.

I think the Odyssey works quite well. It has distinct sphere emplacements, something that could even improve the Aurora IMO. The assymetrical ships would probably look better if there was *more* commitment to asymmetry and more pronounced bows, like Aurora's right hook or Gryphon's left hook. Sunder is super cute. Hammerhead is distinct. Conquest is a beast. Apogee is fine, I'd just beef the engine section up a bit.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 02:57:02 PM »

While I don't agree with most of the opinons here, the Doom is probably the only ship i'd agree looks off.

To me though that's because of how it looks kitted out.  Some ships work well with the weapon sprites showing, and the doom just looks odd.  It's this smooth surface with Reapers/AM blasters jutting out, and i'm not sure that's intentional.  I sort of always wished there was a toggle for the visual of weapon and it's port.  Something like default/under ship sprite/hidden.

Would help clean up the ships that wind up under mounted as well since you wouldn't have these glaring empty mounts.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 03:56:30 PM »

I think there is "ugly" and "doesn't work."

The Onslaught is an ugly ship but it conveys a brutalistic style that matches its nature. Same could be said for most low-tech ships but that's the point.

The only ships that stand out as truly ugly to me are the Hound, the Hyperion, and the Omen. The Hound looks like it absolutely needs a Medium gun in its mount or it doesn't have a shape at all. The Hyperion suffers the same issue with its Medium mounts. The Omen is just...weird. I get that it's basically a flying Tesla Coil but its so out there that it looks kind of alien.

The Aurora is getting some ire but I quite like it. It's sleek but it's actually quite a bit bigger than other Cruisers, deceptively big, if you will.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »

Maybe rugged is a better description than ugly for (the cleaner) low-tech.  They are not smooth like high-tech or some midline, but that does not necessarily mean ugly.

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 06:34:15 PM »

...Aurora, Apogee, Hammerhead, Drover, Conquest...

The prettiest ones are ... Legion.

*disagrees in a self-deprecating but inoffensive way*
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:30:56 PM by Terethall »
Pages: [1] 2