Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The biggest troll weapon ever  (Read 8842 times)

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
The biggest troll weapon ever
« on: March 24, 2012, 04:31:59 PM »

Alright, the title is a slight exageration, mostly since that title would definitely go to the Salamander missile for not really doing much but forcing you to stop aiming your main guns just so you can turn your omni shield every single time someone launches a single one of them at you.

But alas, I am not talking of the Salamander.

I am talking about a gun which I assume is often overlooked but that I discovered today : the Heavy Machinegun.

This medium ballistic weapon is an overpowered [4 letter word for unconsentual sex] machine. You may have dismissed it as soon as you read its name, but look at its stats :

Primary role : Point Defense (as if the ballistics needed anything more than the omnipotent Flak cannons)
DPS : 320 (kinetic)
Flux/s : 120
Range : 400

That's all you really need to know. This sort of damage to flux ratio is not found on anything other than fragmentation weapons and the small versions of this gun. As if that wasn't enough, it is also natively capable of point defense. The range isn't impressive but is more than sufficient, mostly with the Integrated Targetting Unit hull mod.

You've got shields on your precious pimped out rich kid's Aurora? Aww how cute, but it's ok I have 5 heavy machineguns on my cheap little Enforcer class destroyer. How do you feel about 1600 DPS before the kinetic damage bonus?

PS : the dual light machinegun is also quite impressive and probably well known by most players, but I prefer this one.
PPS : Expanded Magazines is strongly recommended, but shouldn't be a problem since it's cheap and very useful for most ballistic weapons.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:34:13 PM by BonhommeCarnaval »
Quote from: Archduke Astro
One of you exhibits humility-impairment syndrome
Aww, you so sweet!

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: The biggest troll weapon ever
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »

Well, the heavymg is really a good weapon now :)

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 04:40:01 PM »

Good is an understatement. This weapon should be banned for its inhumane nature or at least come packaged with the following disclaimer : "Warning, looking into the live end of this device may cause near-instantaneous shield overload, consult your nearest repair shipyard immediately."
Aww, you so sweet!

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »

Good is an understatement. This weapon should be banned for its inhumane nature or at least come packaged with the following disclaimer : "Warning, looking into the live end of this device may cause near-instantaneous shield overload, consult your nearest repair shipyard immediately."

No, what it should say is: "warning, may cause severe shield, armor and hull damage. Consult your nearest shipyard and medical facility before going into combat with this weapon" :)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 07:36:32 PM »

Just don't try to duel a chaingun hound with a heavyMG hound. That is the worst mistake...  HEavy MG is a big part of me liking the hammerhead, though. And the enforcer.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 01:33:45 AM »

Just don't try to duel a chaingun hound with a heavyMG hound. That is the worst mistake...  HEavy MG is a big part of me liking the hammerhead, though. And the enforcer.

Why not?, the hmg hound can destroy the other ;).

factotum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 04:08:15 AM »

You've got shields on your precious pimped out rich kid's Aurora? Aww how cute, but it's ok I have 5 heavy machineguns on my cheap little Enforcer class destroyer. How do you feel about 1600 DPS before the kinetic damage bonus?

Aurora is faster than an Enforcer and its primary weapons are much longer range. Have fun firing your OP MGs at empty space while the enemy blasts you from beyond your effective range!

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 04:46:52 AM »

As much as the rapid fire nature of the machine guns with thier high combined dps is I have to agree, at least on medusa's and any frigates the AI is really good at staying out of such a puny range. Especially on the ballistic heavy slow low tech ships. The hammerhead is preety good though. Although it does not have many strong ballistic slots.

Zani

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 06:18:37 AM »

I was exploitin the fact that you can sell all yo ships and get more money than you started with, then get another ship to get infinite money
bought eagle
bought heavy machine guns
everyone is ded.

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 09:11:54 AM »

I was exploitin the fact that you can sell all yo ships and get more money than you started with, then get another ship to get infinite money
bought eagle
bought heavy machine guns
everyone is ded.

I actually prefer the Enforcer over the Eagle. The Enforcer has more speed (60 versus 45) aswell as an omni shield and a very good slot layout. I fit mine with 5 heavy machineguns and 4 rocket launchers.

I do have an Eagle on my midtech-only savegame and I called it ISS Identity Crisis, Eagle-Class Confused Cruiser. I really don't understand its slot layout. The shields are 270 degrees which means that extended shields still leaves you with 30 degrees of unprotected engines and hull. The 3 medium energy slots are hard to understand and I usually end up fitting them with the same small energy weapons as the 5 small energy slots. It has 3 medium ballistic hardpoints but no ballistic turrets of any size, making its point defense weaker than it could be, which is not nearly as justifiable on a midtech ship as opposed to a hightech one. I currently have the small missile slots empty because the extra OP for venting and hull mods is welcome.

Aurora is faster than an Enforcer and its primary weapons are much longer range. Have fun firing your OP MGs at empty space while the enemy blasts you from beyond your effective range!

The Aurora hightech cruiser is obviously supposed to win a 1v1 duel with the Enforcer lowtech destroyer, but when taking into consideration the differences in cost and fleep points, aswell as the bigger picture of a fleet fight and the fact that an AI piloted Aurora is not that good at kiting, they really are no problem for a player piloted HeavyMG Enforcer. Keep in mind that the 1 Aurora variant used by AIs has no hull mods so the range difference is not that big (480 vs 600 before sensor relays) and the Aurora's missiles are easily shrugged off if they're lucky enough to reach you.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:15:58 AM by BonhommeCarnaval »
Aww, you so sweet!

Zoq-Fot-Pik

• Ensign
  • Brought to you by Frungy... the sport of kings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 10:07:27 AM »

I contend that the biggest troll weapon ever is the forum post.

gozer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 12:11:48 PM »

yeah, the heavy machine gun is really strong ... damage against armor isn't that great but it is able to overload shields insanely fast. Eagle armed with three of those things can strip down shields of any cruiser-or-smaller target in just a few seconds (except Aurora, thats just because thing can outrun the Eagle). chewing through armor takes a while, but you have all the time you need, if enemy ship tries to raise shields the MGs will overload them again in no time

but the biggest troll weapon is deffinitely the tachyon lance (which should really be renamed to trololo lance). field Paragon armed with four of those, let it sit at rally point on the edge of the map, send a few of your fighters forward to spot targets and that thing can rip any fighter wing or frigate across half of battle map ... or across whole map if you hold one or two sensor arrays. if you field two such Paragons, there is no point for enemy to even try fighting ... any fighters or frigates simply won't even get to the middle of the map and even big targets won't fare much better ... the constant fire from the tachyon lances will either rip them to pieces, or force them to have shields up constantly and thus unable to use the speed bonus, meaning they will crawl across the map incredibly slowly giving even more time to the trololo lances to shoot at them, meaning the only difference is the tachyon lances will rip them to pieces a little later (after overloading the shields first). the only thing thats missing is the Trololo song playing in the background

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 08:43:26 AM »

This is the reality of it and the biggest problem with Ballistics in general.

The uber-powerful Close Range combo of Heavy MGs and Assault Chainguns is nearly useless because all of the Ballistic-carrying ships that can mount them are too slow.  Almost everything can kite them from outside of their range.

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »

Except, if you lower your shields, and don't fire, you get an engine boost. While that Aurora with its longer ranged weapons will fire, slowing it down. Then its just a matter of tanking the hits till you're in range, then obliterating them. Or you can just have one piddly little interceptor wing harass it to force it to keep shields up and corner it. I could go on, but the point is the heavy machinegun is ridiculously more effective in terms of flux to damage then pretty much any other gun. If you're having a problem getting in range, you're doing it wrong, since there are tons of tactics and strategies to close with the AI. Especially if you're using more weapons and its ballistic weapon range hull mod.

Soridan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 11:04:29 AM »

Except, if you lower your shields, and don't fire, you get an engine boost. While that Aurora with its longer ranged weapons will fire, slowing it down. Then its just a matter of tanking the hits till you're in range, then obliterating them.

You don't even need to tank the hits on your hull after you gained momentum. When you reach the maximum, boosted speed you can just let go of the throttle key and turn your shields back on, you won't lose speed until you try to accelerate again.
Pages: [1] 2