Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: GIF Roundup  (Read 19997 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: GIF Roundup
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2020, 08:15:42 AM »

I would be nice if Remnants had their own weapons, although it seems like these new weapons are akin to Legion14 wrecks instead of new Sparks for Remnants' energy mounts.

I like to see core worlds more competent at repelling pirate raids and at defending their worlds from casual sat bombing runs from the player.  It would also be nice if core worlds can rebuild their worlds after their destruction (or even recover their original population level) unless I make a real effort to kill everyone faster than they can rebuild.  Right now, core worlds are too fragile.  Either pirates decivilize them after a long while or player can sat bomb them with ease if he cannot wait for worlds to decivilize. 

I also would like other ways to reduce the babysitting that does not involve paying extortion money/rep or wiping them out.  I would like a reason to save core worlds.  Currently, core worlds give me every reason (from expeditions to inability to defend themselves from pirates) to go Black Sabbath's Iron Man and kill them all (or ignore them and let pirates kill them for me).

Also, willing alpha core slaves and Pather cells that cannot wreck your colonies are great.  I would like to see empire expansion of some sort continue to be supported, and not require character skills spent to dilute combat power.  If not, I just hope that putting all colonies in one system for proper system defense is not optimal.  I like having outposts and some worlds spread out, but that is not really encouraged without being able to colonize far beyond normal limits (which means alpha cores).

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2020, 08:17:45 AM »

@Ryan390

Sorry if I sound rude but did you even bother to read the blog post? FIRST sentence, Alex immediately said he's working on new missions and endgame content. And your other request, colonies, those are also getting new stuff, more items to put in them while exploring and so on (which is also stated in the blog post). Who cares about balance and UI that can completely mess up the fun and experience of the game amirite...

Look I'm not some huge fanboy here defending the devs, but I'm so sick of people pushing devs to rush out their products. This has ruined a ton of games, and will just keep getting worse. The very fact that Alex is such a perfectionist has brought success to the game since we don't have gamebreaking bugs every update, apart from every other game having day 1 patchups, even AAA ones.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2020, 11:03:09 AM »

I think you both missed my main point, let's discuss a bit further..

I agree, lot's of games these days (early access / or even finished AAA titles - get rushed out, sometimes)
That's a different business as your talking about these companies investing hundreds of millions of dollars into a title. it some cases the future of that company can rest on a single titles revenue at launch.
Some of these companies are extremely large - It's a business, so sometimes they need to release a bit early then patch it after.
They are employing people with families and mortgages, so the company needs a return at some point. What I'm trying to say here is that I get why this happens, despite how much I hate it.

It sucks when a released title has loads of bugs / glitches, I'd never be an advocate of rushing a title out, in Star Sector's case, this is anything but rushed.
I get the polishing, I do..

*Edit* Look at Mount Blade 2 for example - Bit of a disaster in terms of initial impressions due to bugs / performance issues (I was extremely disappointed after 8 years of dev)
*But* - They made a good attempt at getting key features out first such as the tutorials and campaigns and custom battles, the right strategy just a poor execution as they clearly lacked the QA / balancing / polishing discussed here.
Realistically in an ideal world you want both, not just one or the other.

I'm a commercial software engineer myself, quality is important as code rots over time and features get harder to implement if the code base isn't maintained to a quality level following good SOLID principles..
I get it, I do..

With regards to the first reply, it's not about *first impressions* we're ten years in first impressions have been and gone, surely?
When the game becomes 1.0 and is released fully (on Steam or not, I've no idea what Alexs' plans are with that) - then your impressions and initial reviews are going to matter.

I wasn't suggesting releasing early before final balancing and tweaks are completed, obviously that's a bad idea!
However..

There's also a thing called MVP (minimum viable product) and having a focused release cycle on getting key features and functionality out first, makes a lot of sense.
I've played multiple sessions on vanilla, I've not noticed any glaring bugs, horrible glitches or UI issues or major balancing issues.

In it's current form I find the game extremely decent, let's not talk about first impressions as:
Number one, the game's had players playing it for ten years or so.
Number two, it's well polished and I doubt a single player has a bad thing to say about the game (especially the lucky few who are experiencing it for the first time)

I've been aware of Alex working on 'core' features for a while now, but please let's not wait another ten years till 1.0 because we are obsessed about colouring in asteroids and the like..

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:19:36 AM by Ryan390 »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2020, 11:15:10 AM »

Thanks for the detailed explanation but what exactly do you still expect from the game? The things you listed in the previous post are going to come, what else do you think should be added? Because if I'm not mistaken, Alex said most of the core mechanics are already done. I'm just curious what's that crucial element you want instead of ''just content'' you assume we're getting.

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2020, 11:26:52 AM »

In a word: Story campaign (two words  ;D) !
The game is great - I even prefer vanilla over the mods I tried, however it's just missing that story / goal.

It's teasing us with the (not going to give away any spoilers) - current abrupt ending of the quest line..
Which has been that way for months now.
As polished as it already is, as great as everyone's impressions already are - I'm just finding it excruciatingly painful waiting for the update that'll shut me up!

I've recommended the game to a couple of my friends, i believe in this product, and have gotten other people playing it.
Lets get to the next level and get this story mode done lads, cmon!  :)

No more colouring in, let's make some ground trembling changes eh?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:32:48 AM by Ryan390 »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2020, 11:29:54 AM »

With regards to the first reply, it's not about *first impression* we're ten years in first impressions have been and gone, surely?
It's not about your first impression, or anyone on this site's, but of many people who still don't know about the game (or at least didn't know until Sseth made his video...).

From what I gather, Alex is currently working about additional items to find to upgrade your industries with (colony building), additional bizarre Domain leftover stuff you might want to get, in the vein of Cryosleeper (colony building), and in this blog post, we get to see some weird stuff you are supposed to hunt for in the end game? I'm not sure. It might also be some quest/mission rewards (after you beat the thing that sports these guns).
It's a similar deal to Painting Stars blogpost, some filler to remind us Alex and David aren't dead, while leaving all the labyrinthine graphs and rules.csv black magic in the dark. Alex is pretty keen on not revealing too much about "secret" stuff, we didn't know much about Remnants, until it happened. Alex was also supposed on the endgame/story progression, but I'd also like to know does this stuff come in this update, or was it feature creeped, or what... It's pretty much the most important thing to get done now, with colonies/faction relations having greater purpose (like being able to order people to do things for you) coming as close second.
I can agree about skill rework not being necessary (if that's what you mean by balancing tweaks and UI redesigns). Current skill system is imbalanced, but serviceable.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2020, 11:30:35 AM »

Well with the sandbox nature of this game, story certainly isn't the biggest element, but I agree on the goal, there's not too much to do in late-game now. That said, I'm 100% sure we'll get more of both story and goals before 1.0.

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2020, 11:40:36 AM »

Well with the sandbox nature of this game, story certainly isn't the biggest element, but I agree on the goal, there's not too much to do in late-game now. That said, I'm 100% sure we'll get more of both story and goals before 1.0.

Totally agree, and yes fingers crossed indeed!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2020, 11:50:53 AM »

The game doesn't need more weapons / ships or fancy effects ...

I'll just say, I'm not sure than assuming I'm doing something random for no reason is the most, ah, accurate interpretation :) My hands are sort of tied as far as explaining things, though, because I don't want to get too deep into spoiler territory.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2020, 05:51:03 PM »

Ryan.

There needs to be a foreboding dread at the end of the tunnel. "Finishing the campaign (and quests)" without boogieman and creeping threats would be an exceptional let down. Alex knows *exactly* what he is doing.

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2020, 05:52:12 PM »

I'll just say, I'm not sure than assuming I'm doing something random for no reason is the most, ah, accurate interpretation :) My hands are sort of tied as far as explaining things, though, because I don't want to get too deep into spoiler territory.
It's ok Alex, I still love you.
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2020, 08:27:59 PM »

The game doesn't need more weapons / ships or fancy effects ...
Speaking personally, I pretty much disagree. 

There's a ton of unfilled niche's in vanilla ships/weapons that really only feel complete with some modding, and something that people don't appreciate is that making things for finished systems is much easier than brand new mechanics.  I have no idea if that's the case for this game and I don't just want a constant conga line of ships and weapons every so often, but spending time focusing on adding a couple of weapons and hulls to round out the roster really doesn't strike me as a waste (even though this is clearly more end game material)

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2020, 09:03:24 AM »

Appreciate you want to keep your secrets, I'd never suggest you should do otherwise.
However just a simple update such as a *rough* level or progress would be appreciated.

For example last month we might of been 18% complete on mainline story progression.
In the next update you might mention your *approximately* 29% complete.

Based on your current ambition VS the current amount of content.. i wouldn't consider that a spoiler, just a rough idea of where that particular mechanic is up-to.
A spoiler would be oh yes I've created a new alien race that will invade the Galaxy through the inactive sector gates, or something..

Not expecting details but a very very rough idea of progression I think would go a long way, personally.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2020, 09:09:33 AM »

Even a rough percentage is very hard to say, since some stuff might occupy more dev time than it initially ''should'' have. There's always complications, something goes bonkers, something goes super smooth. But based on the blog posts and the time that has passed, I'd say the next update is 75-80% done. I may be completely off but usually I'm not terrible at guessing.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2020, 09:14:19 AM »

Appreciate you want to keep your secrets, I'd never suggest you should do otherwise.
However just a simple update such as a *rough* level or progress would be appreciated.

For example last month we might of been 18% complete on mainline story progression.
In the next update you might mention your *approximately* 29% complete.

Developing software is iterative, which means there are always things you have to do that you didn't know about at the beginning. That's how many projects end up spending 90% of their time and effort on the "last 10%" of the work AKA Development Hell
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6