Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: GIF Roundup  (Read 20000 times)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: GIF Roundup
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2020, 12:31:51 AM »

Just to clarify, by "limited availability", do you mean they will be rare drops from rare enemies, or is the absolute number of these weapons in the sector limited? Do these weapons have limited amount of uses in player's hands before they disintegrate? Can I expect to find at least one of each kind in a single playthrough?

Daimon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2020, 12:54:59 AM »

Someone already mentioned Diablo and this was exactly my first reaction: those weapons remind me of legendary weapons from RPGs with their special visual effects, over average stats or extraordinary effects, a small drop rate and probably unique names like Ice Dragon Breath for the flame thrower etc.
This said, I really love their visuals and even got my girlfriend excited over a video game for a second.

I assume the effects are purely optical and don't effect other weapons passing through the not-bullet/rocket/flame part? If not, this or a dedicated weapon could be used as a denial field, i.e. shoot in front of friendly ships and create for a couple of seconds such intense vacuum turbulences that incoming enemy weapons cannot pass which gives the friend valuable seconds to vent. But I assume that's breaks more than it benefits.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2020, 12:33:42 PM »

Just to clarify, by "limited availability", do you mean they will be rare drops from rare enemies, or is the absolute number of these weapons in the sector limited? Do these weapons have limited amount of uses in player's hands before they disintegrate? Can I expect to find at least one of each kind in a single playthrough?

Ah, sorry - I'm afraid that information is REDACTED; I don't want to give too much away here.

I assume the effects are purely optical and don't effect other weapons passing through the not-bullet/rocket/flame part? If not, this or a dedicated weapon could be used as a denial field, i.e. shoot in front of friendly ships and create for a couple of seconds such intense vacuum turbulences that incoming enemy weapons cannot pass which gives the friend valuable seconds to vent. But I assume that's breaks more than it benefits.

Yeah, it's like with beams, right - they may look like they could possibly block something, but they don't. As you say, if it did work that way, it'd be troublesome. (The flamer is pretty good at blocking missile fire, though...)

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2020, 12:39:59 PM »

Those blue flame thrower reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rx8_vjbXX4

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2020, 01:17:36 PM »

I like the disintegration beam, makes sense given the lore around when shields started to be a thing!

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2020, 02:43:16 PM »

Wonder if that ancient sprite sheet of Starsector ships that had the very much alien-looking ship is a hint at what is to come...

Max_z

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2020, 03:40:33 PM »

<makes spooky noises> (Which reminds me, they actually *do* make spooky noises in-game.)
Whaat? As if the 'Distress Signal' sound doesn't get me a scare and goose bumps all the ommygosh times!

For rarity: these weapons could require using Story Points to salvage, be only installable while in dock or use Story Points to fit them on ships

Are these Station mounted (like Motherships or Nexus)?
In the Blog there's a mention about ships: are they mostly exotic stuff or also something player enjoyable(flyable)?  8)

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2020, 11:17:12 PM »

Ah, sorry - I'm afraid that information is REDACTED
I got it! This weapon is some kind of SCP, right?
Spoiler
[close]

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2020, 04:43:18 AM »

Please make the Mjolnir more visually impressive. The dark blue on black causes the weapon to fade into most dark backgrounds, effectively hiding this weapon at a quick glance. In reality the weapon is extremely dangerous and should visually stand out.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2020, 10:22:07 AM »

Wonder if that ancient sprite sheet of Starsector ships that had the very much alien-looking ship is a hint at what is to come...

I'm pretty sure that was early phaseship concept art? Depending on what exactly you mean, of course.

Are these Station mounted (like Motherships or Nexus)?
In the Blog there's a mention about ships: are they mostly exotic stuff or also something player enjoyable(flyable)?  8)

:-X

Please make the Mjolnir more visually impressive. The dark blue on black causes the weapon to fade into most dark backgrounds, effectively hiding this weapon at a quick glance. In reality the weapon is extremely dangerous and should visually stand out.

Let me add a bit of glow to the shot, like the Heavy Blaster has.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2020, 01:44:49 PM »

wouldnt an optimal solution for the flamethrower problem be to fix each shot's rotation to its relative position to the previous shot?
edit: YOU KNOW WHAT Would be a cool affect for a special weapon? A gun that fires a heavy bolt that lodges into the enemy ship and whose impact releases a wave of energy that wraps around the target's hull like that black energy weapon does, and then after traveling for x amount of time the energy mass arcs back to the bolt thru the hull and inflicts damage based on how much hull is between them -- when used to kill a ship it splits the hull along/near the line of the arc. To make up for their lack of hull width, when used against frigates or fighters the energy wave doesn't hug the hull and can arc back thru other nearby frigates and fighters on the way back to the bolt, able to cut multiple (small) ships in half along a single axis
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 01:58:58 PM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Starteri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2020, 10:43:42 PM »

"More often than not, though, the initial idea is just something to get started with, and what actually ends up working is surprising – and, sometimes, a happy accident."

The macguffin of video games :D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2020, 09:40:06 AM »

wouldnt an optimal solution for the flamethrower problem be to fix each shot's rotation to its relative position to the previous shot?

That doesn't actually work - I mean, that'd keep the "hose" coherent, but also locks the weapon into firing in the initial direction it fired in.

In general it might be possible to do this by changing shot facings, but it's easier to move the shots by just, well, moving them, than it is by steering them.

The macguffin of video games :D

Ha! Nice :)

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2020, 07:43:50 AM »

Alex when are you going to get this game finished / 1.0. The game doesn't need more weapons / ships or fancy effects why are you focusing on these silly trinkets?
Finish the story / campaign, i'd be more interested in seeing what the jump gates will do and how the story pans out.. It's getting ridiculous waiting years for this game to finish, checking every day for a monthly update which rarely comes each month..

Only to see another update obsessing over graphical tweaks, the games already pretty, what are you doing?
How long can one expect to wait it's been in develop ten years now mate, you've had the core mechanics down for a while now (years IMO), yet still not a finished 'game'.

Why don't you add a feature, something like a hire able mercenary fleet that can bodyguard you for a credit cost?

Things I like in updates:
- Colony building (yes)
- Quest / mission variety increase (yes)
- Story / campaign progression (yes)

Things that make me super-super eye roll:
- Graphics tweaks
- More balancing tweaks
- More UI re-designs

I'm just giving a few examples here, I'm surprised the community is so enthralled with these kind of updates, like magpies chasing a sparking diamond..
Get the core game out, add polish and refinement later dude?

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2020, 08:14:02 AM »

You only get one chance for a first impression. So I HEAVILY disagree that polishing should happen after release. Far too many products are released half done and SS should not be one of them.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6