Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What point of the game could we consider the game cleared?  (Read 2118 times)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
What point of the game could we consider the game cleared?
« on: April 10, 2020, 09:07:37 AM »

This is a weird one but bear with me. I want to recommend this game to some people that never played it before but due to some special circumstances we need a clear condition. Razing all factions would take too long so what accomplishment would be a good? What point of the game? Vanilla only please.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: What point of the game could we consider the game cleared?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 09:37:16 AM »

This is entirely personal but if we are giving arbitrary metrics... when the player has enough firepower to destroy a star fortress + attending fleet, the progression is effectively over. How about destroying a Nexus + Ordos at the same time and "ending" the Remnant menace? I suppose you could find and do the same to all of them, but thats a lot of tedium to do the same fight a couple times over.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 09:45:28 AM »

Starsector is a sandbox. Only player decides how high his sandcastle should be to complete satisfaction.

Isn't it wonderful by itself?
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 10:06:07 AM »

Building up your first colony up to size 6 or 7 and a fleet that can win against any single opponent is probably a good stopping point, because there is nothing more the player cannot do at that point.  Sure, there may be unfinished business, but resolving them are a formality because you cannot fail.

Total core kill (or "Razing all factions") is not far off after player builds up a fleet that can take out endgame threats.  It may take a few hours of tedium after player has acquired the aforementioned fleet plus some tankers, but it does not take very long.  Still, not really needed because it is relatively trivial once the player can beat anything.  What may be tougher is how to maintain your fleet and colonies with the non-stop pirate activity after low income after core is dead.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 11:16:13 AM »

I mostly consider it over once a colony is really off the ground.  I could go through then and grind up some uber fleet and start clearing star fortresses and rems, but that's essentially a formality at that point.  The colony giving you a money, ship, and weapon printer really just makes it a matter of time, and willingness to use better stuff.  Yeah it might be hard to do when you're trying to do some themed "mostly low tech" run, but you take off that condition and start spamming paragons or drovers and it's over.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 02:50:41 PM »

The game is in a won state from the moment you finish character creation. You can't lose in any way. Well, except for getting into an unrecoverable debt level in space mode, but that's not enabled by default... But you can still work towards challenges. Fighting off bigger pirates, stronger pirates, then deserters, expeditions. Collecting blueprints. Farming Remnants is the hardest thing available at the moment and you can get a bit better at it (going from single ordos to taking multiple fleets at once), but after that, yeah, you definitely won.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 03:10:27 PM »

I'll agree with Thaago: if you can take out a "High" level Remnant system or break a Star Fortress, you've essentially bested the hardest individual challenges in the current vanilla game. There are more things you could theoretically do, but it's just a war of attrition at that point.

Having colonies generate a ton of money sort of gets you there but if the goal is to "win in any fight" there really isn't a higher bar than the Stations.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 08:47:12 PM »

Game is cleared when you want to create your own mod.
Spoiler
[close]

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 04:59:15 AM »

Game is cleared when you want to create your own mod.
I guess wanting is not the same as actually making one.  Much as I like to make my Starsector ship mod, I seriously doubt I will have the time to spare to make and maintain a good one, and probably will not bother modding Starsector.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 12:31:01 PM »

I feel that having high pop colonies and taking down star fortresses align with what I have in mind. Thanks for the suggestions.

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 02:56:04 AM »

For me, when I've colonized every world I want to colonize.  That usually means all the Class V's (except the occasionally really bad one, like one on the edge of nowhere with no stable points), most of the Class IVs, and maybe a few others.  At that point, well, there's just not much else to do.