Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: It's that time of year again  (Read 2047 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
It's that time of year again
« on: April 08, 2020, 10:53:02 AM »

Now I hate being the one asking this but the boredom has really gotten to me. Instead of the ol' usual update when?? and ''is it soon™?'', I'm just curious, are you still adding major changes to the next version, or is it mostly just ironing out bugs, polishing and playtesting? My Spidey sense started tingling after all those Twitter teases so I had to satisfy myself with some rough answer.

And in the event that it's still long ways to go could we maybe get some in-dev patch notes? I'm interested in what has been currently added/changed. Thank you for your time.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: It's that time of year again
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 12:16:58 PM »

I'm adding a bunch of content, as we speak in fact. Still quite a fair amount left, but there's definitely progress. It's just hard to talk about without spoiling it. For example, even with the twitter weapon gifs, I've got to be careful not to show too much :)

And in the event that it's still long ways to go could we maybe get some in-dev patch notes? I'm interested in what has been currently added/changed. Thank you for your time.

Hmm, maybe - not really opposed to that. My only concern there is that it might send a signal that the update is closer than it is.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »

And we aren't going to get any blog post on the secret stuff, because that would be pretty counterproductive, wouldn't it?
Update isn't even close? Perhaps we will end up with 0.10, rather than 0.9.5, like some people believed.

Random question: what happens to ships in NPC fleets that get LD3? Are all the ships autofitted? Or do they just get extra vents and caps, without major changes?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 12:37:37 PM »

Well damn, the scope of the update is much bigger than I initially expected, glad to hear there's a lot going on. And yea I definitely understand how patch notes might cause premature hype. Anyways thanks for the detailed response.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 03:32:17 PM »

Well damn, the scope of the update is much bigger than I initially expected, glad to hear there's a lot going on. And yea I definitely understand how patch notes might cause premature hype. Anyways thanks for the detailed response.
When it comes to major feature additions and overhauls, bugs and anything breaking the system in any ways and sizes are bound to happen. And even then, the more elusive bugs would be in the hands of playing in volumes.

Bug hunting is a pretty involved process, and even I had my fair share of bug reporting not just in games, but even in my senior project a year ago. I just... get creative when I feel like intentionally trying to game the game itself.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 03:51:20 PM »

Random question: what happens to ships in NPC fleets that get LD3? Are all the ships autofitted? Or do they just get extra vents and caps, without major changes?

(I'd imagine the points get spent with autofit, but not 100% sure since this isn't a thing in vanilla.)

I probably should put some up sooner rather than later, though. Otherwise it'll become more and more of an expectation that patch notes == impending release!

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 05:35:30 PM »

I probably should put some up sooner rather than later, though. Otherwise it'll become more and more of an expectation that patch notes == impending release!

Also, it lets modders get at least a little bit ahead on our to-do list come update time.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 05:55:29 PM »

Alex, have you forgot that you have put Loadout Design in TT skills, or did we just misunderstand something?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 08:58:11 PM »

It's the former :) If I did it, then it does work*, since I would've double-checked.

*Unless it broke since that point.

Abraxas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 05:21:20 PM »

Hmm, maybe - not really opposed to that. My only concern there is that it might send a signal that the update is closer than it is.

Then take the CD Project Red approach...

"Dev Patch Notes:  Progress on new content is going well.  Yada yada yada.  Coming - When it is done."

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 06:49:40 PM »

Completion date: "When it's done."  <---the only deadline I truly respect.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 07:26:03 PM »

Release date: Monday*

*which Monday is unspecified

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 07:27:20 PM »

Release date: Monday*

*which Monday is unspecified

Oh, I'm so tempted...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 05:04:37 AM »

It already is.  Thanks to the last few releases, any time I see patch notes, I think release is imminent.