Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recreatable CTD when leaving player colony cluster on a very modded game.  (Read 1897 times)

knogleknuser

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I have had this problem appear before, I waited a little before flying away which seems to have worked.
This happens whenever I fly a set amount of distance away from my player-colony cluster, which is at the upper right corner of the map. (My destination being the core worlds)
I have a save just a few seconds away from this limit, I can fly around in circles and do nothing for minutes, but as soon as I fly a few light-years further away from my player-colony cluster the crash happens.

*SPECULATION BY A GUY WHO KNOWS LITTLE*
Since this happens whenever I fly a set amount of distance away from my colony cluster, and due to my understanding (my poor understanding) of the logs, I suspect that some fleet is despawning due to me leaving the area and said despawning causes a crash.
I think that the reason waiting around have fixed it earlier is due to the fact that the buggy fleet naturally despawned by flying to a planet, thereby eliminating the need for it to be 'unloaded'
*END OF ARMCHAIR SPECULATION*

This is happening on a super modded game that has the following mods installed and enabled:

Automatic Orders 0.3.2
Autosave 1.1
Better Colonies 1.4
Blackrock Drive Yards 0.9.5
Boggled Terraforming 4.0.2
Celestial Mount Circle 1.2
Commission Crews 1.8
Disassemble Reassemble v 1.6.9
ED Shipyard 1.9.9a
Hazard Mining Incorporated 0.2.2g
High Tech Armada 0.7.1e
HullMods Expansion 4.5a
Industrial Evolution 1.0
Junk pirates/ASP/PACK (Release) 3.4.0
LazyLib 2.4f
Luddic Enhancement 1.2.0
MagicLib 0.28
Nexerelin 0.9.6c
Ship/Weapon Pack 1.10.5
SkilledUp 1.1
SpeedUp 0.6.0
Starship Legends 1.3.14
Station Construction 4.2.2
Tahlan Shipworks 0.3.15a
Tiandong Heavy Industries 1.2.1a
Underworld 1.4.2
Vayra's Sector 3.1.5
Vayra's Ship Pack 1.1.4
Version Checker 2.0
Weapons Group Controls 1.1.0
ZZ GraphicsLib 1.4.1

All in all, 32 mods according to version checker, one of which version checker claims needs an update.

Hazard Mining Incorporated 0.2.2g     to      3.0.0,

which appears to be a discord alpha from what I could tell since clicking the latest release download button still provides 0.2.2g

Here are the logs
Log-
68662 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
   at java.util.ArrayList$Itr.checkForComodification(Unknown Source)
   at java.util.ArrayList$Itr.next(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleet.despawn(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.RouteManager.spawnAndDespawn(RouteManager.java:598)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.RouteManager.advance(RouteManager.java:572)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.CoreScript.advance(CoreScript.java:126)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

EDIT:
I can provide the save file if anyone wants it. See Below

EDIT 2:
Save File VIA onedrive
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq-TQ8o3DYigkmJ2QbArAEUnc5TR?e=4Y4pjg
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:58:02 PM by knogleknuser »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hi - see here; looks like the same issue:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18147.msg284129#msg284129

That one wasn't resolved, though, so this looks like an issue in one of the mods (many, looks like) you both have in common.

The good (if not in the short-term) news is this should be resolved in the next release, regardless - core code will allow fleet despawn listener removal from inside a fleet despawn listener.

knogleknuser

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Well, I hope there is something I can do in the short term to alleviate this crash to desktop as I do really want to continue my game.

EDIT: As by now, the game seems to crash after less than a minute, regardless of what I do, *SPECULATION* The fleet is leaving the area i'm in or trying to naturally despawn. *SPECULATION END*
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:05:27 AM by knogleknuser »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

There's not much you can do, unfortunately. Your surmise about what happens seems correct - the problem is that whatever mod-code runs when this happens causes the crash, and the only fix would be an update for that mod. But as of right now we can't even tell for sure what mod that is.

knogleknuser

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I will attempt to teleport around in the area and delete any fleets I find to see if I can at least alleviate it.
If anyone wants to try and troubleshoot which mods and/or why this is happening, then feel free to use the save file provided here.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq-TQ8o3DYigkmJ2QbArAEUnc5TR?e=4Y4pjg

My first suspects are my own faction's fleets since this crash has occurred before and that was usually when I left my colony cluster as well.

And to you Alex, I thank you for your help so far and your excellent game. Hopefully, the next update is soon (Crossing my fingers). But one never knows when it is done before it is done. I'm well aware it could take another year. (Though, hopefully not!)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:58:50 PM by knogleknuser »

knogleknuser

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Also, I have compared all my mods with all of the mods of the user in the thread Alex linked, these are the mods we have in common.
NOTE: Aa few of them differ with a version or two between him and me, him having a few of the mods on earlier versions.

These are the mods I have, and the version of them I have.
If I have missed any, do tell me.

Autosave 1.1 (*SPECULATION*Unlikely to do anything related to fleet despawning)
Better Colonies 1.4
Commission Crews 1.8  (*SPECULATION*Unlikely to do anything related to fleet despawning)
Disassemble Reassemble v 1.6.9  (*SPECULATION*Unlikely to do anything related to fleet despawning)
Industrial Evolution 1.0
LazyLib 2.4f  (*SPECULATION*Unlikely to do anything related to fleet despawning)
Luddic Enhancement 1.2.0
MagicLib 0.28  (*SPECULATION*Unlikely to do anything related to fleet despawning)
Nexerelin 0.9.6c
Ship/Weapon Pack 1.10.5  (*SPECULATION*Unlikely to do anything related to fleet despawning)
SkilledUp 1.1  (*SPECULATION*Unlikely to do anything related to fleet despawning)
SpeedUp 0.6.0  (*SPECULATION*Unlikely to do anything related to fleet despawning)
Starship Legends 1.3.14
Tahlan Shipworks 0.3.15a
Underworld 1.4.2
Version Checker 2.0  (*SPECULATION*Unlikely to do anything related to fleet despawning)
Weapons Group Controls 1.1.0  (*SPECULATION*Unlikely to do anything related to fleet despawning)
ZZ GraphicsLib 1.4.1  (*SPECULATION*Unlikely to do anything related to fleet despawning)

If my speculations are correct, and if he (The other user reporting this bug) and I are experiencing the same issue, then it has to be due to one or more of these mods or their interactions with eachother.

Better Colonies 1.4
Industrial Evolution 1.0
Luddic Enhancement 1.2.0
Nexerelin 0.9.6c
Starship Legends 1.3.14
Tahlan Shipworks 0.3.15a
Underworld 1.4.2

And as a last note, I have played extensively with both Nexerelin and Starship Legends on very modded games before, however, I believe all the other mods (In the above, rather small, list of mods) are rather new for me.
So if Nexerelin or Starship Legends is involved in the cause of this crash, it would likely, in my opinion, be due to some incompatibility with one of the other mods.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 02:04:01 PM by knogleknuser »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It's not conclusive, but I can add that I have not seen this issue, and out of the list of shared mods you made, I run with:
Blackrock Drive Yards
LayzyLib
MagicLib
Nexerelin
Ship/Weapon Pack
SpeedUp
Starship Legends
Tahlan Shipworks
Tiandong Heavy Industries
Underworld

...and GraphicsLib (no ZZ_ though?)

Hopefully this helps you track down where the problem is.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

knogleknuser

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I sadly didn't find anything in my game, however, looking through the mods' jar files, I found something interesting.
Hazard Mining Incorporated is the only mod in my narrowed down modlist that has its own 'fleetmanager' files apart from Nexerelin.
I strongly suspect that said mod is indeed the culprit of this crash, though I have no way to verify it apart from starting a new game without it.
And then I would have to start building up a colony cluster and then just play and see if the crash happens without it, all of this is a process that takes prob. like 4 hours. (With console command cheats ofc)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:30:29 AM by knogleknuser »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hmm. I looked through the HMI code and it seem like it's alright. I also looked through relevant *vanilla* code and it looks like there is indeed a case where this could happen, in which case it'd be ... kind of a vanilla bug. I don't think it'd show up in vanilla, but it *could* conceivably show up if a mod was addition a FleetEventListener to a particular vanilla-spawned fleet.

Do you happen to be near a very low stability (less than 2) colony with Pather Cells? If so: this issue could be related to a smuggler that's shipping supplies for the Pathers to do an attack on the colony. The way to get around the issue, if this was the case, would be to hang around until the smuggler made it here and the attack happened.

I'm not sure this is in fact the issue - in fact, it seems pretty unlikely - but it is possible.

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

*sweats at Better Colony on the list*

knogleknuser

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thanks for clearing HMI up.

My current colony cluster and the location of my player fleet is in or around the 'Thule' system, in the core worlds. None of my worlds that are nearby have active luddic path cells as they have all been disrupted.
However, I do have one world nearby that only have 4 days left of their disruption and its stability is only 2 due to the fact that some NPC expedition against it was successful without me noticing.
I also have 3 'autonomous' colonies who have no buildings apart from infrastructure + spaceport, which means luddic path prob hasn't showed up yet. (From Nexeriln)
And obviously, there are loads of NPC colonies nearby who may or may not have luddic path cells and who may or may not have low stability.
Is there a way to use a console command from the console command mod to find out what stability different colonies are at?

Note: My current save is a different one from the one in my original post but I do use the same mods, except a few of them have been updated and one of them have been merged. (2 of boggled's mods)

*EDIT:* There are no colonies with active luddic path cells nearby, but there are quite a few with sleepers or disrupted ones.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:11:19 PM by knogleknuser »

knogleknuser

• Ensign
    • View Profile

FOUND IT, *** YEAH *** DID IT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Alex, your assumption was correct.
By an incredible stroke of luck, a fleet traveling across my system in hyperspace was a smuggler, and I followed it. Said smuggler was returning to somewhere.
Normally, in my current game, after a few days, my game crashes guaranteed, and I cannot leave the area, however, this time, I could
And I continued to follow the smuggler, eventually leaving the core worlds, which means that at the very least, the buggy fleet in question traveled the same direction we did.
Then it jumped into a system and I followed, it was a luddic path smuggler returning to its base. (The destructible bases used as staging grounds)

Now all of this is pretty good, but there is more!
1)
I reloaded my save and jumped into hyper space once more, immediately spotting the same smuggler fleet.
I used console commands' 'kill' command to kill the fleet and as soon as I unpaused, the game crashed.
2)
I reloaded my save and did it again, the timing being a bit different due to human imperfection, the exact same behavior, as soon as I unpaused after killing the fleet, the game crashed.
3)
Reloaded my save file again, this time, I engaged the tiny fleet of like 2 destroyers and 6 frigates and destroyed everything but 1 ship.
As soon as I click confirm and continue after winning, the game crashed.
4)
Reloaded my save again and followed the fleet for several days, with no crashes or issues, then I randomly decide to fly 90 degrees to the right (and away from the fleet) and the game crashed within a day.

Again, I cannot overstate how lucky I was to have this very fleet, this tiny yet buggy fleet with half a screens distance to my location as soon as I jump into hyperspace.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:41:31 PM by knogleknuser »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Ah, hmm, interesting - nice! At the very least this confirms the issue. I would've expected it to only crash if the smuggler was on the way to a planet, not on the way back to its base, though. What happens if you follow the smuggler and it despawns after it returns to its base?

While the kill command would cause a crash, if you do something like:

RunCode Global.getSector().getHyperspace().removeEntity(Global.getSector().getEntityById("<id of fleet>");

That might remove the fleet and let the game continue. You'd have to find out the entity ID - you can do this by turning on devMode (via data/config/settings.json), interacting with the fleet, and selecting the now-available "dump memory" option. You should see an id there, on a line looking something like:
$id = 12914c

knogleknuser

• Ensign
    • View Profile

No idea if that would work as I have kinda lost the fleet since then (Got greedy and started exploring the area around them, kinda need to find them as they seem to not have despawned yet judging by the crashes), but even then I have experienced this crash bug many, many times (at least 6), on different occasions and way too many times if you count the same time-span.

I was lucky to find the fleet this time around, I doubt I will be able to always.
I'm gonna remove luddic path from my game (VIA. Nexeriln invasions) and disable them in any new games I make.
Any chance of a hotfix from your side? Before the next 'major' release that is.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Any chance of a hotfix from your side? Before the next 'major' release that is.

Ah, I'm afraid not.

(I still think it's probably mod-related, btw - that is, even if there's an underlying vanilla bug, *something* in a mod (which may be perfectly legitimate/correct code in said mode) either causes to trigger, or to trigger considerably more often.)
Pages: [1] 2