Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Guardian is a BEAST!  (Read 3950 times)

Abraxas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Guardian is a BEAST!
« on: March 29, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »

So, I got bored with the ships that were available to us normally and decided to give myself a Guardian for the fun of it.  Cool looking ship and all, and plenty of people have said the [REDACTED] Domain ships all kinda stink.  But this guy is a beast.  Seriously.  Mjolnir main guns, with Hurricane and Harpoon  missiles, with hvy needler and Railgun, LRPD Lasers, dual flak and a devastator on the rear.  Picture for mods.

Edit:  Incidently, if I remove heavy armor, I can get to 39500 flux.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:03:35 PM by Abraxas »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Guardian is a BEAST!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 12:46:14 PM »

The best thing about Guardian is unlimited missiles (and the mounts to use large missiles) thanks to its built-in autoforge hullmod, and the mobility to kite as much as it wants while it chucks missiles non-stop.  It can (sort of) do the missile cheese Venture and Doom used to do in older releases.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 12:54:49 PM »

Yeah unchallenged mobility + range + top tier firepower. If AI actually knew how to pilot it, the only real threat to Guardian would be getting pushed into a corner by large enough fleet. Or Afflictor, nothing without constantly-up-360-shield has reliable defense against it.

Abraxas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 01:17:39 PM »

Yeah unchallenged mobility + range + top tier firepower. If AI actually knew how to pilot it, the only real threat to Guardian would be getting pushed into a corner by large enough fleet. Or Afflictor, nothing without constantly-up-360-shield has reliable defense against it.

And it wipes the floor with Paragon.  Not even a match.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 01:21:02 PM »

But that's not really surprising, the only way you fight the Guardian is when it is completely by itself. It's not really fair to compare it with other ships like it's their equal.
Please don't take me too seriously.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 01:35:11 PM »

Well, it does have anomalously low DP for it's strength - only 40. If it was meant to only be used alone, even 200 would have been fine (you can always deploy single ship, even if it goes above limit, as far as I can remember).

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 01:59:19 PM »

Well, Guardian is a beast.

However, each beast have it's weakness. In case of guardian it is his shield. It is not wide enough to be flanked-safe, even "extended shields" leaves large space to strike. Oh, yes, armor is good, but not-that-good to withstand double tach strike or reaper salvo. More, shield initial damage ratio is 1. That is a standard value, but it's closest player-available contender (paragon) has 0.6 and +250 more initial dissipation rate. And a closest non player-available contender (radiant) has 0.6 and +500 respectively. If not that incredible mobility and autoforge it would be not-that-fearsome.

P.S. It really has to be like 80-120 DP, not 40. I mean, it's 450 OP - be honest it worth it!
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 02:04:17 PM »

I wish I could remember where the cryo-ship is parked in my current game.

Makes we wish we had placeable map markers like that new zelda game so we can mark stuff on the sector map for later.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 02:12:37 PM »

I did quite a lot of playing around with loadouts when making a Guardian build for the tournament that shall not be names.

Small sabots in the mediums in a linked weapon group with secondary guns, then Hammer Barrages in the large missiles slots, was the most deadly one I found.

Small sabots actually have a higher fire rate than mediums, and the missile reload is incredibly frequent.

Abraxas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 03:28:21 PM »

I wish I could remember where the cryo-ship is parked in my current game.

When I found my Cryosleeper and battled the Guardian, my Paragon and 3 Legion XIV's felled it pretty fast.

Well, Guardian is a beast.

However, each beast have it's weakness. In case of guardian it is his shield. It is not wide enough to be flanked-safe, even "extended shields" leaves large space to strike.

I have yet to find an AI fleet that flanks well.  And because I have Legion XIV backups and some small frigates for cover, the AI barely ever gets behind it.

I did quite a lot of playing around with loadouts when making a Guardian build for the tournament that shall not be names.

Small sabots in the mediums in a linked weapon group with secondary guns, then Hammer Barrages in the large missiles slots, was the most deadly one I found.

Small sabots actually have a higher fire rate than mediums, and the missile reload is incredibly frequent.

Hmmmm, gonna try this out.

The MIRV and Harpoon strikes are pretty decent with the HNeedlers and Railguns and Mjolnir.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:36:05 PM by Abraxas »

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 08:43:34 PM »

When I found my Cryosleeper and battled the Guardian, my Paragon and 3 Legion XIV's felled it pretty fast.

I used a Paragon, Doom (personally piloted), Astral (dedicated Longbow wings), and 2 Onslaught XIVs to crush that ship.

Alternate is 2 Onslaught XIVs, Odyssey (personally piloted), 2 Gryphons (Hurricane and Harpoons to force shields), and 2 Herons (dedicated Longbow/Dagger combo to strip shields and armor for other ships to deliver crushing strikes).

All have officers with skills appropriate for the ship.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 09:40:49 PM »

ALWAYS dueling it 1 to 1 on Paragon. Unable to resist a FUN.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 08:06:31 AM »

Makes we wish we had placeable map markers like that new zelda game so we can mark stuff on the sector map for later.
I draw my own map charts, pen and paper. Useful for research and mining stations missions intel.

Abraxas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 09:31:27 AM »

I draw my own map charts, pen and paper. Useful for research and mining stations missions intel.
That is a lot of work.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 01:43:39 PM »

Well, it does have anomalously low DP for it's strength - only 40. If it was meant to only be used alone, even 200 would have been fine (you can always deploy single ship, even if it goes above limit, as far as I can remember).

It is meant to be used alone. Its low DP is so that it does not prevent the player from bringing a large fleet against it by way of Fleet DP balancing. The idea is that you almost always get to bring the more heavily weighted deployments against it.
Pages: [1] 2