Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Second Mothership.  (Read 1968 times)

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Second Mothership.
« on: March 28, 2020, 11:41:05 PM »

Need help.

I just found a second mothership. Usually there are only one. And it is not just a mothership - there are too many survey ships and probes. The [redacted] on the other hand, are few and weak. Mining stations, research stations and orbital habitats are so rare, I found only couple of them yet.

That is not typical in vanilla, so I blame mods to cause that weird generation. Here is list:
[
  "$$$_lightshow",
  "Boggled AI Core Production",
  "anvil_industries",
  "timid_admins", - <this is for "better colonies">
  "Boggled Terraforming",
  "chatter",
  "HA", - <this is for high-tech armada>
  "interestingportraitspack",
  "lw_lazylib",
  "leadingPip",
  "MagicLib",
  "Boggled Gate Construction",
  "swp", - <this is for "ships and weapons pack">
  "Boggled Station Construction",
  "transfer_all_items",
  "US", - <this is for "unknown skies">
  "shaderLib"
]
The map seed is MN-266301745203875863

So here is the question: which one of mods causes this? I will remove it and put in a Devil's ass, where it belongs to be!
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:05:55 AM by Mondaymonkey »
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Second Mothership.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 03:01:48 AM »

None.
In vanilla sector generation there is a guarantee that at minimum, 1 mothership spawns.
And depending on the rolls upto 2 additional motherships can also spawn. For a total possible maximum of 3 motherships in any given sector.

Every mothership that spawns will also spawn at least 1 survey ship, and can spawn upto a maximum of 3.
Every survey ship also spawns at least 1 probe, and can spawn upto a maximum of 5.
And, any system can also have upto 3 probes randomly generated in it on top of any it had from the above. Even systems that have no other presence of derelicts or links to any others.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 03:18:01 AM »

Thank you, kind man! I haven't know that. If so, all I need is re-roll sector with a new seed. Sadly to loose a progress (level 46 and 3 caps in a fleet), but I can deal with that.

Also, copied all the text for the future to be used as quote. Hope you don't mind.

Thread can be closed now.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 03:32:24 AM »

You have a 33.33% chance of generating a sector with only 1 mothership. If you don't want to sink time into finding this out the normal way, there is a shortcut.

Find your savegame folder and open campaign.xml.
Search for this exactly: "derelict_mothership" including the quotes.
Count the number of times this appears. The number of motherships in the sector should be half of that number. (Notepad++ makes this trivial.)
eg: My current save has this appear 4 times, so I know there is 2 motherships.

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 03:52:20 AM »

You have a 33.33% chance of generating a sector with only 1 mothership.

I have full-explored sector 3 times before that and each time it was only one mothership. That mean 3 of a 3 at 0.33 rate, giving 6.01% and than one try at 0.67, giving 4.03% probability on that. I am a lucky man, I guess. Disregard that I am too drunk to do a math. Each time I do, I have different answers.

Anyway, thank you again, I am crazy and will shine!
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:55:11 AM by Mondaymonkey »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 10:49:52 AM »

Hmm - looking at the code, the number of motherships isn't random, but rather based on the number of constellations in the Sector, and that's fairly consistent. At the normal Sector size, this generally works out to 2 motherships, but it's capped to at least 1 and at most 3, to account for a smaller Sector size, mods, etc.

Having more motherships also isn't going to eat into the number of Remnants, at least not significantly, since both get an equal share of the available constellations.

As a sanity check, opening up my last 3 new games at random, each has 2 motherships. (If you press Ctrl-Z to disable sensors in devMode, then open the map and turn on star names, mothership stars are a flat red.)

A quick rundown of a typical vanilla Sector gen deciding how many motherships there should be:

The "derelicts" theme generator goes first. There are 52 constellations (this number can vary a bit), and it's allowed to use a third of them (the rest being reserved for other themes, i.e. REDACTED etc). So: ~17 constellations.

Each mothership requires an average of 13.25 constellations (for itself, and related probes and survey ships that chain towards it). So: 17/13 = ~1.3. The game rounds this up to 2. Thus: 2 motherships. If the number were >= 2.5, you'd get 3 motherships. To get 1 mothership, you'd need to have less than 40 constellations, which seems pretty unlikely (maybe impossible?) unless you're using a small Sector size.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 11:14:54 AM »

You mean I just missed them before? Feel myself worse than usually.
Spoiler
[close]

Thank you, that is a precious knowledge! I will abuse it.