Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Voice Acting  (Read 1238 times)

Quasarlight

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Voice Acting
« on: March 27, 2020, 05:03:25 PM »

Hi people,

I wanted to know; if any of you would like some voice lines in the game?
Or do you think this would not fit the style of the game?

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Voice Acting
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 05:59:11 PM »

Actual voice acting is difficult, expensive and in many cases requires a lot of post processing to have a good space chatter feel to it. That's why many games opt for squeaks and squacks or some other sort of generic non descript chatter.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 07:28:23 PM »

I think it would be really cool, but music already takes a fairly large amount of space so recordings of voice acting would probably also increase the size and load substantially. Definitely not a no-interest situation but perhaps technically difficult to do. I'm not really sure to be honest as I've never tried to do anything like that. Just my two cents.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 07:48:59 PM »

Voice lines might be nice, but I'm not sure I'd sacrifice other things for them, and I understand that they are quite expensive and time consuming (more than I'd expect).

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 03:29:31 AM »

Yeah, the problem with voice acting is that it is all or nothing. There isn't much in-between, and it adds a burden on all future content, as well as making mods stand out in a bad way since most will be lacking those.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 04:11:15 AM »

I don't think there's anything in the game justifying voice actors. Starsector isn't plot driven in the slightest.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »

I don't think there's anything in the game justifying voice actors. Starsector isn't plot driven in the slightest.

Well, to be fair I think that is kind of a "for now" situation. Plot-driven content would by necessity have to be last because you can't change a plot willy nilly and it has to be based off features and mechanics that are not yet finalized. Alex has hinted before that he wants to do more lore/story content eventually. That doesn't necessary mean plot, per say, but it very well could.

Yeah, the problem with voice acting is that it is all or nothing. There isn't much in-between, and it adds a burden on all future content, as well as making mods stand out in a bad way since most will be lacking those.

Definitely. Voice acting can also end up as a detriment to a game rather than a selling point. Bad voice acting < no voice acting. I loved final fantasy 7 and 9 and those games' insanely rich stories would have been ruined by voice acting. On the other hand, final fantasy 10 had it across much of the game and Titus' voice still makes me grind my teeth at times lol.

There is something to be said for leaving a character's voice to the personal imagination. Book adaptations into movies highlight this well. Sometimes I see the move and think "that is not at all how that character sounded in my head" and it can sometimes even be disappointing enough to reduce the quality of the movie in my eyes... though maybe I'm just a snob in that regard.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 01:11:44 PM »

Regardless of quality, voice acting can be annoying if overused or unavoidable.  Take Deckard Cain from the Diablo games.  (Stop telling me how great the cube is!  Don't care to stay and listen, just id my items now!)