Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unexpected Low Performance  (Read 1514 times)

kurtwulfgang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Unexpected Low Performance
« on: March 25, 2020, 02:31:31 PM »

Hi guys. Great game, terrible optimization, or so I though ...

I thought this game was simply badly optimized, but recently saw a post on reddit where people are saying that they're playing at 1000 battle size with good framerates, with a computer that has similar specs with mine. So I digged around and learned that I shouldn't be getting 20-10 fps with 20 ships..? I'm already having mad fun despite 15 fps battles and 25 fps overworld, and you're telling me fps is supposed to be double that number?  :o

Specs: Fx 6300 @ 4.4gz, rx570 4gb, 8gb ram
Overworld average, 20 fps 0 idle, battle average, 15 fps(large battles,30 fps at battles around 5 ships) 0 idle
Using mods, but it was like this before the mods
FPS dramatically increases to 60 if i zoom in during a battle or overworld, so its definitely graphical problem

Here's a list of what I've currently tried to fix it.

Spoiler
"forceNoVBO":false  - Dunno where I read this one, someone said it could help somewhere

"vsync":false,

Sound/Fullscreen off

Completely erased and reinstalled my graphics driver, and started the game through the gpu in case maybe the game wasn't using my gpu(which shouldnt be possible because there's no gpu other than... my gpu ?

GraphicsLib craptop setting

Antivirus off, all programs off, only game and essentials working

[close]

I saw about, but not tried; gpu acceleration(dunno how to do it), complete uninstalling/reinstalling java(will try later).
Also read about how opengl and amd are not worknig great together, that maybe the core of the problem, but still, there may be some other problem perhaps?

Cpu usage is around 50 percent and stable, while gpu usage is all over, pic.
Spoiler
[close]

Thanks for your help.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected Low Performance
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 02:52:48 PM »

Also read about how opengl and amd are not worknig great together, that maybe the core of the problem, but still, there may be some other problem perhaps?

Hi - yeah, unfortunately that's more than likely the issue. My apologies :(

If your PC *did* have an integrated graphics card, you'd probably have more luck running the game on that, but based on what you're saying, this doesn't seem to be the case.

kurtwulfgang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 03:54:15 PM »

Ah, thats sad :'(

Are you guys planning to /or can you/ optimize the game on your end on this issue? If this is prevalent on AMD, then more or less 20% of your playerbase must be suffering from this?

Edit: thanks for the quick answer btw
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:02:21 PM by kurtwulfgang »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 04:07:14 PM »

It actually works fine on some (older, I'm given to understand) AMD cards, so it's hard to say what the percentage is.

I'm not sure whether this is something I can really address or not - I'd have to spend significant time digging into it, and get an AMD setup to experiment on. A bunch of things I've tried along the way (when some people graciously offered to help run test builds) didn't make any difference whatsoever, so it doesn't look super promising, but it's not impossible that something might do the job.

kurtwulfgang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 04:34:32 PM »

Count me among those who would offer to run test builds if you decide to re-adress the problem   ;D

Thanks for the answers!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 05:30:26 PM »

Thank you, I really appreciate the offer. When/if I come up with something that's worth testing, I might just take you up on that :)

kurtwulfgang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 03:31:07 PM »

I'll point out one more thing I recently noticed, UI ridiculously decreases the fps, around %25-35 percent. It's so noticable that I changed the UI hotkey to ALT so I can close the UI when fps dips down to 1 digits.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 04:06:36 PM »

Yeah, that kind of makes sense - thank you for sharing that info. Btw, might be worth trying: turn off weapon arcs (using the ~ key); those can eat up a fair amount of performance, especially in a group with a lot of long-range weapons.