Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: colonize planet with 250 or not?  (Read 1420 times)

F.B.I

• Ensign
    • View Profile
colonize planet with 250 or not?
« on: March 24, 2020, 07:06:31 AM »

I found a planet with ultrarich ore and rare ore + abundant volatiles but with 250 hazard colonize or not?

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: colonize planet with 250 or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 07:09:33 AM »

It'll cost more in upkeep, but is otherwise very possible.

It's up to you if the output from the mine is worth the upkeep cost and the potential cost in defending the colony.

If you have other worlds that would benefit from having their own upkeep decreased from being supplied 'in-faction' then this could be a good idea. Otherwise it might cost you more in income, and attention to defend, then it might be worth.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 01:16:29 AM »

If it's in the same system as other colonies on more hospitable worlds; definitely yes.

If it will be the only colonised planet in that system; consider it only if you already have an established 'base' with a good income and can afford to throw money at your new colony for a while, but otherwise hold off for now.

Defence is the primary concern. A dedicated mining planet which can output well above the 'standard' quantity of minerals is very valuable, but the upkeep cost of defensive structures is something that is non-trivial.
You'll definitely need a station.
Ground defences are optional but recommended in order to act as a safety net, and the extra stability also helps.
The hardest thing though is the military base which you'll need to support the station, which is not only quite expensive to support on a high hazard world, but also requires a precious industry slot.
But, by having your mining world in the same system as other less hazardous colonies, you get to bypass the need for all that.

It might also be worth pointing out that you could get away with colonising this planet and getting the mining going ASAP, while you 'babysit' it.
The income from the mine should be fairly decent with essentially almost the max output a mine can produce. And this will definitely be enough to cover the station and ground installations at least. Not sure if it would also cover the military base, but you'd have to grow the colony at least +1 size before you could do that anyway.
And it might get a bit dull hanging around and chasing off the occaisional pirate waiting for that though.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 03:55:25 AM »

Sounds like a volcano world. Ore and transplutonic are are pretty common as far as resources go. Don't worry about them. The real treasures are triple+ mining (ore/plutonics/organics/volatiles) or farming/fishing worlds.

A few high hazard mining worlds are fine, but keep an eye out for low hazard worlds to build up industry.

The best option is to look around for a system with 2 or 3 decent quality worlds. There are only a handful of them in the average galaxy. Multiple worlds will help provide cover to each other against enemy expeditions. It's not too important in vanilla, but the mutual cover is essential for surviving the more intense mods.