Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ship Modding + AI Question  (Read 1909 times)

harperrb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Ship Modding + AI Question
« on: March 25, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »

I'm working on my first new ship from scratch, based on a traditional (sea) ship by placing the majority of the weapon batteries on the port and starboard sides and only having a few 45/90 degree arc turrets and a couple missile bays on the prow. I'd also like to reduce turning/strafing and give all the ships a bit more inertia (think boats rather than the current mode, "helicopters").

My curiosity is about the AI. I wonder if they will just fly around trying to shoot missiles and turrets at everything, ignoring the loaded side batteries until someone wanders by.

Any clues? 

Obviously if I get to that point, Ill let people know what the result is.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:18:17 PM by harperrb »

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Modding + AI Question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 01:25:50 PM »

I can't say for sure, but from what I've seen of the AI and the Conquest, I'm fairly sure he will use broadsides..

Also, if you didn't know the inertia you want can be achieved by low acceleration/deceleration numbers and a higher mass number.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

harperrb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »

Awesome. Thanks for pointing that out. Besides a few missions in the previous release, I have yet to use many of the larger ships, so I missed that guy.

I'd like to theme a whole fleet around that concept, so, I'm glad to know it works in some fashion. 

And thanks for the inertia tip. I haven't got to the point of actually doing any modding. Just been having fun in 3ds max creating my own ships.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:00:38 AM »

Though with a higher mass number, collisions will hurt more... too high and you will insta die if you hit an asteroid (as far as I know, never tried myself, only heard of it on the forums)

But the lower acceration and deceleration will atleast give the feel of inertia :)
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer