Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cryosleeper Luck  (Read 3731 times)

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Cryosleeper Luck
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 10:24:42 PM »

Luckily there's a new mechanic in the work that will allow you to use sleepers in other systems as long as they are close enough.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 08:53:17 PM »

As a note for anyone playing that seed, there's actually two cryosleepers (as I just learned).  One is basically useless, the other is the amazing one.  Also, there are absolutely no high warning beacons on the entire map, making alpha cores exceedingly rare.
Yeah, that's how luck goes. You win some, you lose some. On one hand, the planets you mentioned would have very manageable hazard ratings and unhindered growth.

On the other hand, rich rare ore and abundant volatile deposits are elsewhere unless that useless one has a planet with either or both. And then Alpha AI cores are near-impossible to farm without a proper Ordo fleet.

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 09:42:46 AM »

Interestingly one of the medium systems does have a single nexus.  That's enough to get cores... very slowly.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2020, 11:26:20 AM »

I actually got a good cryosleeper location for once!  (Lots of mods, Nex random sector w/ customized settings, so sharing the seed is, alas, not really useful.)

...Unfortunately, I found it rather a long time after I was already well-established in a system much closer to the core.  Still!  A nice place with all the resources you'd need in-system.  Admittedly, a few of them were sparse enough that you'd need alpha cores to make the place fully self-sufficient.  (And the closer-to-core system I'd already set up shop at didn't need alpha cores...)

I think I'll go colonize the place anyway once I have some spare administrator slots.  Just feels wrong to leave an actually good cryosleeper system empty.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 11:46:04 AM »

If you're willing to use mods, boggled's terraforming mod lets you improve the quality of the planets in the system. That can alleviate some frustration with bad cryosleeper locations, but it can also be a little OP IMO. It's fun though.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 11:54:38 AM »

but it can also be a little OP IMO.

Till time you are able to terraform (it is costly thing, you know. Aside of cheaty MUD), you are guaranteed as sector superpower. No matter what kind of bucket and shovel you use to build your sand castle, if the whole sandbox is already yours.
Spoiler
[close]
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »

MUD is what I was referring to with the OP comment lol. Regular terraforming is just something to do in the super late game.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 12:35:33 PM »

Oh... Misunderstanding then.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.
Pages: 1 [2]