Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Incorrect Scale in System Map  (Read 804 times)

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Incorrect Scale in System Map
« on: March 18, 2020, 11:46:25 AM »

In the system map, the scale of the map shows a distance in light years that matches the sector map.  But that would have stars that are multiple light years across.  Instead, a different scale should be used in that screen.

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Incorrect Scale in System Map
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 05:29:35 PM »

In the system map, the scale of the map shows a distance in light years that matches the sector map.  But that would have stars that are multiple light years across.  Instead, a different scale should be used in that screen.
This sounds like less of a Bug Report, and more of a 'Suggestions' sub-forum thread.

If I were to assign a lore-wise explanation for the discrepancy, I'd take the Babylon 5 route, which more or less goes:

"Distance(s) in hyperspace are incredibly wonky, compared with real-space (re: subject to plot requirements)."

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 05:35:44 PM »

This is a space game that takes place entirely in 2 dimensions where habitable planets exist within star coronas, and we are talking about a unit label on a map?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 07:42:50 PM »

That indicator shows the hyperspace distance equivalent to a real-space light-year; I think this is a valid thing to show while in normal space, as well. I do appreciate the report, though!

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 05:00:49 AM »

This is all part of the sci fi 101 package. Hyperspace rarely lines up with euclidean space 1:1. Frequently travelling in a hyperspace direction will send you all sorts of random places in real space, and gravity wells typically show up as distortions in hyperspace. In terms of gameplay, you get what you see.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 06:18:43 AM »

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 10:41:59 AM »

I'm not talking about hyperspace.  I'm saying in the system map, when you're looking at one system in realspace, the key on the bottom left indicates it's multiple light years from a star to its nearest planet.  That makes no sense.  It makes fine sense when you're looking at the map of the sector, where that key shows light years between stars.