Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is selling ships bugged for me or bad in general  (Read 2480 times)

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
Is selling ships bugged for me or bad in general
« on: March 16, 2020, 02:19:52 PM »

Recently i noticed the price difference for selling and buying ships in my current campaign. I beat up a couple fleets with some Astrals and i salvaged them when i could. Then i flew them to Jangala and sold them for around 40k credits, after i had repaired their hull. I then looked after ships i might want to buy and the very same Astral i just sold would now cost 650k+. Is that a bug or is it normal that ships cost like ten times the price they sell for (if you take the tariffs out of the equation it's around that)?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is selling ships bugged for me or bad in general
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 02:23:33 PM »

It's intended so that players won't recover almost every ship and then sell them for way too easy money. Even if you take into account the d-mods a ship may get, you'd still earn more for selling it than the whole bounty itself, which would be kinda ridiculous.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 05:16:41 PM »

Don't tow back ships and sell them for money, scrap them on the spot.

Benzin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 07:53:00 PM »

Hi, sorry to jump in, How do you scrap those derelict ships? You mean you recover them, and then scrap them from tjhe fleet screen?

Ever since i started playing, i been unsure about this. When i encounter a derelict, or after a battle, i get prompted to try ship recovery. But since selling them is not profitable (as the OP explained), i just hit the "Not now" option and dont recover them.
So, are you saying i should actually do the recovery, and then scrap them?

Thanks.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 08:01:30 PM »

Hi, sorry to jump in, How do you scrap those derelict ships? You mean you recover them, and then scrap them from tjhe fleet screen?

Ever since i started playing, i been unsure about this. When i encounter a derelict, or after a battle, i get prompted to try ship recovery. But since selling them is not profitable (as the OP explained), i just hit the "Not now" option and dont recover them.
So, are you saying i should actually do the recovery, and then scrap them?

Thanks.

when you click the Not now option all the ships that you did not recover will be scraped and the weapons salvaged, that is, if you procede to scrap it, on delerict ships you can also not scrap, because of the stable orbit and because of some ships being just rare to get as a delerict

Benzin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 08:15:02 PM »

when you click the Not now option all the ships that you did not recover will be scraped and the weapons salvaged, that is, if you procede to scrap it, on delerict ships you can also not scrap, because of the stable orbit and because of some ships being just rare to get as a delerict

Ah, so i been using the right choice! good to know. Thanks!

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 05:27:27 AM »

The "Not now" command is misleading. It'll scrap the ships as soon as you salvage, as opposed to not doing anything right now.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 01:57:42 PM »

It's intended so that players won't recover almost every ship and then sell them for way too easy money. Even if you take into account the d-mods a ship may get, you'd still earn more for selling it than the whole bounty itself, which would be kinda ridiculous.
I still think the more elegant solution to this given changes in the game is going to be making it so salvage is much more rare.  Buying ships through the store is so often not worth it because it's just easier to go find a fleet using them and beat it up, and while thats absurd at first, if you can afford the 650k to buy an astral (or whatever it is to restore one) you can probably afford to field a fleet than can stomp fleets with them until you salvage one.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »

Buying is cheaper than restoring. And if you just make salvage rare, you incentivize savescumming. Salvage being plentiful but only giving out exclusively (or almost exclusively) d-mod ships, means you both get a viable D-mod salvage playstyle and it's also a way to get rare or specific ships easier, at a higher cost (with restore).

Benzin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 06:20:11 PM »

The "Not now" command is misleading. It'll scrap the ships as soon as you salvage, as opposed to not doing anything right now.
Indeed. "Not Now" to me means it will leave the ship alone, e.g. dont do anything to them.
I think a better choice of words for that option would be something like "Scrap ships for weapons and supplies" or something along those lines.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 06:53:17 PM »

Indeed. "Not Now" to me means it will leave the ship alone, e.g. dont do anything to them.
I think a better choice of words for that option would be something like "Scrap ships for weapons and supplies" or something along those lines.

I think a better way of saying whould be "do not recover a ship" because this dialog is used for recoverable derelicts as well

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 06:17:14 PM »

Buying is cheaper than restoring. And if you just make salvage rare, you incentivize savescumming. Salvage being plentiful but only giving out exclusively (or almost exclusively) d-mod ships, means you both get a viable D-mod salvage playstyle and it's also a way to get rare or specific ships easier, at a higher cost (with restore).

Yes buying is cheaper than restoring, which also makes little sense from a beginner standpoint, and is also another "feels bad" of the system.  Rather going "oh wow i salvaged this cool ship, and while it's got dmods I can fix that" it's "meh scrap it for parts and i'll find it in a store."

How does making salvage rare incentivize save scumming any more than having random ships available for sale?  Those who will scum will scum.  Arguably it's less incentive since winning a battle repeatedly is harder than opening a shop menu.

Further I feel that the whole point of the industry tree should be to make salvage more plentiful, and maybe targeted (pick ships pre or post battle that are more likely to be able to be salvaged) so there's some actual 'Game' involved rather than rng.

The viable dmod playstyle sticks around (and is now more tied to the skill tree that directly relates to it), and you can still get rare or specific ships (at a lower cost, which makes sense given part of the cost is repairing your fleet after defeating them).

The current system really isn't intuitive at all and I think ruins some of the better moments like seeing a cool ship for salvage (this also goes hand in hand with how easy it is to find ships in stores) , and instead turns the salavage screen into a formality 90% of the time (click to open, nope nothing good, salvage, repeat the next 20 times).

All that said, I get that larger economy tweaks aren't easy, and there may just not be worth it, but maybe with the world shut down I'll take a look at seeing what I can do with mods, because I really think it'd be a great way to tweak the core play experience

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 05:56:42 AM »

Looting some ships is easier than buying them from core worlds, especially if player has no commission.  Paying extra to restore ships is annoying.  It would be even more annoying once built-in hullmods arrive next release, since that may encourage player holding on to the same ships as long as possible (depending how easy it is to build up story points).

Further I feel that the whole point of the industry tree should be to make salvage more plentiful, and maybe targeted (pick ships pre or post battle that are more likely to be able to be salvaged) so there's some actual 'Game' involved rather than rng.
That seems about half of Industry.  Another small point is campaign damage mitigation (Safety Procedures) and the rest is colonies, the latter of which is devalued by alpha core farming and bugs (which is a good thing for combat builds because they need all of the skill points for combat stuff plus Navigation in the other three trees.  Wasting nine points in Industry for more colonies hurts combat.)

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 04:04:11 PM »

Looting some ships is easier than buying them from core worlds, especially if player has no commission.  Paying extra to restore ships is annoying.  It would be even more annoying once built-in hullmods arrive next release, since that may encourage player holding on to the same ships as long as possible (depending how easy it is to build up story points).

That seems about half of Industry.  Another small point is campaign damage mitigation (Safety Procedures) and the rest is colonies, the latter of which is devalued by alpha core farming and bugs (which is a good thing for combat builds because they need all of the skill points for combat stuff plus Navigation in the other three trees.  Wasting nine points in Industry for more colonies hurts combat.)

Sure it's half of it, but if you play without those, you still wind up with a cornucopia of salvaged ships and weapons (if you want them), and the entire in game economy suffers for it.