Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First colony, saved credits  (Read 908 times)

ArthurDent81

• Ensign
    • View Profile
First colony, saved credits
« on: March 16, 2020, 06:02:10 AM »

How many credits do you save before you found your first colony?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: First colony, saved credits
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 06:03:44 AM »

20kk
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 06:06:57 AM »

Around 1 million as a buffer and stored at least 1 capital ship for defence against pirate death fleets.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 06:16:15 AM »

A colony is already a net benefit without any additional infrastructure.
Just settling an habitable world with farming further down the line (then more access/stability/growth) is a great way to get a steady income, raids don't take anything from you other than reducing stability/access.

In short whenever you can dump a thousand peasants on an ok planet and replenish your fleet after it's all good!
If using Nexerelin, i recommend settling in a system claimed by your commissioner for free defence, along them dealing with pirate stations themselves.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:17:56 AM by Scorpixel »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 10:14:32 AM »

I usually wait until I have a fleet that can fight medium pirates, or a beat up recovered capital thats not worth hauling around with my fleet but is perfect for system defense. I don't really care about how many credits I have saved up... maybe a couple hundred k? I usually try to keep that as an operating budget anyways.

Just settling an habitable world with farming further down the line (then more access/stability/growth) is a great way to get a steady income, raids don't take anything from you other than reducing stability/access.

In short whenever you can dump a thousand peasants on an ok planet and replenish your fleet after it's all good!
If using Nexerelin, i recommend settling in a system claimed by your commissioner for free defence, along them dealing with pirate stations themselves.

This is a good point! Maybe I don't need to wait until I have a medium pirate fighter fleet. Usually I do by the time I can dump 1000 extra crew, but if I happen to recover a starliner...

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 02:51:45 PM »

I always try to save $1million per colony before landing it.  The main thing is that I want to build an orbital station and get the megaport up ASAP, and still have no trouble dropping the necessary industry, patrol HQ, ground defenses, and similar.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 01:43:39 AM »

This.
The one caveat is the hazard rating: The higher this is the less income you get, and the longer you have to put up with less income due to reduced growth.

You can if so inclined, land a colony almost right after finishing the tutorial, and do a decent job of defending it so long as you prioritise the orbital station.