Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: After scrolling in the menus for a while, the game starts to hang  (Read 751 times)

Galgerahn

• Ensign
    • View Profile

So, I've noticed that (after I've increased my fleet size to 100+) when I scroll through the Refit, Fleet, and Assign Officers screen, that the game will start to hang. It's feels like a clock. Every 3-5 seconds. (Tick) the game hangs for about 1 second. 3-5 seconds later? (Tick) game hangs again. So far, the only solution I've had is to save, and restart the game. However, because the save hangs due to this bug, I am scared I'm going to lose my save to a corrupt file. Not sure if this is an integer roll-over from positive values to negative? I've had a few games that I've tinkered with that have had that problem. Other than that, I have no idea what causes it, other than scrolling in the menu.

I've just allocated more ram (4 gigs) and I will see how the game performs after that. I'll give you an update.  :D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: After scrolling in the menus for a while, the game starts to hang
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 10:25:53 AM »

This behavior sounds like exactly what the problem would be if there wasn't enough memory, so increasing the allocation should do the trick!

Galgerahn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 11:07:45 AM »

I will let you know how it goes! However, I have a question. Does this mean, that scrolling takes up memory and keeps it? Meaning no matter how much memory I allocate, it will eventually hang? Is this, like, a memory leak problem?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 11:15:28 AM »

I don't think it's actually directly related to scrolling.

(If it *is* then it's probably due to just having too much stuff; what happens when the fleet size is 100+ is kind of uncharted territory. It might be fine, it might not be. I don't think there's a memory leak there, though. Scrollers with a lot of stuff have to be optimized to handle it well, IIRC the fleet screen stuff is, but I could be mistaken.)

Galgerahn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 03:44:04 PM »

So, as it turns out... Yes, after increasing the RAM, the hang took forever to show up, but it eventually did show up. I'll call it a minor bandage. Temporary, but good fix. It took over an hour and a half for it to show up, rather than 15 minutes. So it does have something to do with RAM - as to what? I have *no* idea :D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 04:22:52 PM »

Hmm - are you running with mods other than your settings tweaks? And does this happen without your tweaks? Depending on what you changed... well, it's hard to say for sure.

Also, if you allocated 6 gigs of ram, that might resolve the issue - some of the mod-related memory leaks are fixed in size (i.e. effectively doubling or tripling the memory required, but not growing beyond that), so for those, just allocating enough will be enough to mitigate the problem.

Galgerahn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 06:50:43 PM »

Interesting! I'll try that when I hop on tomorrow!