Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ship setup question  (Read 1248 times)

TheSAguy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Ship setup question
« on: March 07, 2020, 10:55:24 AM »

Hi,

Really having fun with this game  :)

So I’ve been playing for about a month now and know most of the game concepts pretty well.
I’m playing with a lot of mods. All the big new factions, utility mods, nex, Vayra and most content expansion mods.

So the hardest thing for me is ship setup.

I usually just use the predefined setups.
Is there a place I can see what the meaning of some of those are?  For instance what does attach vs assault mean. That’s are so many: standard, attack, assault, elite, improved, and a lot more I can’t recall right now.

Is there a mod, or would it be possible for someone to create a mod that optimize the setup/layout based on the mods/weapons I have? I think the game tries to do that, but was wondering if a good player could create and share some deadly setups that take in a bunch of the big mods.

Thanks

Jaiden

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Ship setup question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 11:24:51 AM »

So, you can edit the available presets when you enable dev mode, there's a button on the main menu, but it's a rather powerful tool that can also overwrite the ship loadouts already in place

Personally I would just spend a lot of time in the simulator, that's how I learnt my ship setups.

The names of the presets don't really have that much impact on how they play, outside of the actual weapon setups (close support is all about CQC, assault is more balanced, etc)

The behaviour of the ships largely depends on the weapon setup, their current orders if any, and officer archetype (steady, timid, aggressive, etc)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 12:14:10 PM »

Names of variants typically mean whatever authors of these variants think they mean. With certainty I can explain only four of them: "assault" means HE-focused, "close support" means kinetics-focused, "elite" means it uses expensive weapons and "overclocked" means this variant uses Safety Overrides.
There is no mod that can make a variant for you, because this is generally difficult even for humans, who understand (or, at least, are capable of understanding) scripted weapons and impact of accuracy, tracking, flux efficiency, projectile speed and other nuances. There's no way to skip this, you need to learn how to outfit your ships.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 04:38:34 PM »

When you click autofit you can remove the default setups and replace them with your own, so if you play around in the sim and find a setup you like, you can save it and copy it to any other ships of that model later, which is encouraged.  Try out new weapons whenever you can; many times the stats on paper don't fully demonstrate the uses of a weapon.

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 12:53:12 PM »

Good advices all around!

I'd like to add a not so obvious suggestion: despite the strong appeal, just play without mods for a few weeks/months, so that learning how to manually outfit your ships will be easier.

Why easier?
  • less ships and less weapons, less chances to be confused, more chances to actually know them
  • some mods introduce exotic behaviours that might confuse a new player even more
  • focus on the core weapon features: weapon categories (there are 3), damage types (there are 4)) ...
  • ... and understand the main loadout requirements: damage shield, damage armor, defend against missiles, defend against fighters

Here is an easy exercise:
Spoiler
  • take a Lasher or a Wayfarer
  • strip it from its weapons
  • then carefully look at all the ship's weapon slots
  • then manually assign weapons while trying to fullfill all or most of the aforementioned requirements
  • try in the simulator
  • try again in the simulator, experiment with different loadout and different opponent
  • also have a look at hullmods, try them
  • repeat with a Wolf
  • repeat with a destroyer
  • repeat with a cruiser
  • repeat with a capital
[close]

Once a player master the process, he should be good to go with any Vanilla ships and with most mods.