Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [0.97a] Flux Reticle v1.3.0 - A more immersive and helpful combat cursor  (Read 76549 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Flux Reticle

Old Versions
Change Log

Compatible with all known mods.
Integrated with
Version Checker.
Can be added to existing games.
Can be removed from games in which it was already used.

This mod replaces the default cursor during combat with a reticle that displays flux level.
It also allows you to toggle "strafe and turn to cursor" behavior during battle by pressing "K"
The mod will remember your preference for each hull type, so you won't need to toggle each time you switch between ships.
Strafe toggling features will only activate while the vanilla setting for strafe toggling is disabled.
The size and colors of the reticle can be customized by editing FLUX_RETICLE_OPTIONS.ini, as well as the toggle hotkey.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 08:42:10 PM by Sundog »

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile

Flux Reticle

Download link will be here in a few minutes

Compatible with all known mods.
Integrated with
Version Checker.
Can be added to existing games.
Can be removed from games in which it was already used.

This mod replaces the default cursor during combat with a reticle that displays flux level.

Did not think I would need someting like this, It fits into that category of needing It but not knowing it

e

• Captain
    • View Profile

Wow!

This is useful for me because i always get distracted away from my flux bar.

Thanks a lot!!

Shrugger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Top notch idea!

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile

Does this work in combination with the Leading Pip mod by Dark.Revenant?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I wish there was an alternate reticule, a simple crosshair. This one is a bit ambiguous and has a shadow around it. Shadow's probably useful, but it bothers me to no end.
Yes, it does.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Did not think I would need someting like this, It fits into that category of needing It but not knowing it
Top notch idea!
;D

This is useful for me because i always get distracted away from my flux bar.
Yup. Me too!  ;D

Yup. Only thing it's likely to ever be incompatible with is another mod that changes the mouse cursor image somehow, but I'm not aware of any other mod that does that.

I wish there was an alternate reticule, a simple crosshair. This one is a bit ambiguous and has a shadow around it. Shadow's probably useful, but it bothers me to no end.
Yeah, the shadow is ugly as sin. A hard black outline should be enough to make it visible over light backgrounds and other gui elements. Someone on discord suggested a different, pointier reticle image to make it more clear exactly where the mouse's hotspot pixel is. I'll experiment a bit, but I think I'll probably just go with a simple crosshair, as you suggest.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Someone on discord reported the reticle disappearing every once in a while during battle. If anyone knows of a reliable way to reproduce this issue, could you let me know? It would be a great help in figuring out how to fix it.

Also, I'm planning to change the reticle image in the next update. Thoughts?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

IIRC, I tried some cursor manipulation (you're using Mouse.setNativeCursor, right?) beyond what the game already does for friend/foe and I ran into the same issue. Wasn't able to figure it out; this was a looooong time ago.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I'm using Mouse.setNativeCursor to switch between the default cursor and an invisible cursor, but no part of the reticle itself is a proper hardware cursor. It's just drawn using sprites and primitives in CombatPlugin.advance. When the reticle goes AWOL, the vanilla cursor is rendered just fine in the contexts in which it should (e.g. escape menu and tactical screen), so my best guess is that some aspect of the OpenGL state that the mod doesn't account for is being changed in such a way that the reticle fails to render properly. No idea what that could be though. I'm a bit of a putz when it comes to graphics  ::)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Ah - that's definitely a different issue, then... hmm.

Yubbin

• Lieutenant
  • i just play mods
    • View Profile

I got an error while using this mod while commanding the excelsior ship from ship and weapon pack (I have the newest version of both). This didn't crash the game, but it spammed the chat with an error message
Color parameter outside of expected range: Alpha
Flux reticle encountered an error!
Please let the mod author know.
I think this only happens when I start the combat with another ship, then switch into the excelsior. I have a lot of mods running, do I need to give a modlist? Thanks.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Thanks for the report! Someone else actually reported the excelsior error spam earlier today, so I just fixed it. I should be able to get a patch out soon. Hopefully today.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Flux Reticle 1.0.1
Compatible with all previous versions

Improved reticle icon
Fixed error spam sometimes occurring when ships with scripted flux mechanics were piloted (e.g. Excelsior, Ryoku)

PureTilt

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

reticle doesn't drawn if you use not your flagship (nvm traumtanzer bugs some effects)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 08:39:57 PM by PureTilt »

Pages: [1] 2 3