Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ai dropping shields while under fire and 0 flux  (Read 2692 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: ai dropping shields while under fire and 0 flux
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 09:32:50 AM »

I'll just add, from my perspective, a video is miles better than a screenshot or a description, but "here's how to reproduce this in vanilla simulator" is the best by far.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 04:05:12 AM »

It's not an edge case, this happens a lot. I think AI decides to take hits because 'the armor is fine' and it considers armor expendable. This is something I would like to see changed also. Shields should always take precedence.

Along with this the AI also likes to drop->raise shields intermittently even though there is no reason to.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 04:10:21 AM »

It's not an edge case, this happens a lot. I think AI decides to take hits because 'the armor is fine' and it considers armor expendable. This is something I would like to see changed also. Shields should always take precedence.
Oh hell no, if a ship has lots of armor then it's better to tank some shots so it can use the remaining flux to fight back rather than keeping them up until it gets to 99% flux or just overloads. That would be a worse strategy imo. Now if the AI does this when it has 0 flux as mentioned then I agree, but even with no flux it is better to tank weak kinetics if you have full armor.
Please don't take me too seriously.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2020, 04:55:44 AM »

Letting kinetics through is often correct, HE/energy usually not. But this depends on what you actually gain by trading your armor away in particular scenario.

Also, as far as I understand, AI isn't aware of projectiles in flight or beam's current state (initiating vs fully extended), it only knows about incoming missiles and enemy weapon firing arcs. So it can't do selective armor tanking with shield flicker like player.
Pages: 1 [2]