Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: New game and...  (Read 1590 times)

MelGibsonsSon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
New game and...
« on: March 11, 2020, 12:21:56 AM »

Hey I'm fairly nooby at this game and came across two of these pretty much early chasing down my first bounty.

Did I hit a gold mine and should I use these early game/how do you use these?

[attachment deleted by admin]

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: New game and...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 12:31:28 AM »

- No, they aren't hugely unusual to find, since I believe there are a couple almost guaranteed to be discoverable outside the Core Worlds.
- Yes they are damn good.

They're basically brute-force battleships with fighters to help them. (If you're familiar with the Onslaught, they're very similar.) Really basic advice? Kit them out with a near-full set of either bombers or attack fighters (Broadswords), and give them a punchy weapons fit with an opposing damage type. You have two large missile mounts at your disposal. USE THEM, they're your main damage output alongside your fighters. Throw point defence in the medium and small slots, you can safely leave a couple of slots empty if you want to spend more ordnance points on other fittings.

If you favour something more balanced/supportish, try mixing in (or fully equipping it with) Talon wings, or a similar cheap/expendable fighter. Then put offensive weaponry all over the ship itself and treat the fighters like a swarm of angry bees.

(All this advice should apply for both AI and player-controlled Legions.)

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 01:39:35 AM »

early game you should mothball and put them in storage. they are expensive ships  ;D

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 10:47:41 AM »

First save up enough money to buy enough crew for it and make sure you got enough weapons to fit it. In the meantime go to an abandoned space station and store it there.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 11:10:51 AM »

Once I found a fully equipped with weapons paragon and no D-mods. Funniest thing, it was in the unexplored system really close to a core worlds and a couple of ingame weeks after a gamestart. That was a gold mine.

Legions are great, but D-mods sometimes makes them useless. Check yours before recovering.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 03:25:01 PM »

Legions are great, but D-mods sometimes makes them useless. Check yours before recovering.

To add to that, Never scrap a Legion(XIV) they are rare and can't be produced, those need to be restaured, normal Legion on the other hand should be verified as to which D-Mods they have

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 04:31:56 PM »

Try finding a completely pristine paragon in a debris field ten minutes into a new run.  THAT is ridiculous luck.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 10:31:32 PM »

First save up enough money to buy enough crew for it and make sure you got enough weapons to fit it. In the meantime go to an abandoned space station and store it there.

Oh yeah sorry, should have pointed that out. XD

Benzin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 08:05:42 PM »

early game you should mothball and put them in storage. they are expensive ships  ;D
I agree. Those things are great. But they suck supplies and fuel like they were free. Using them early on, the running expenses will probably drain whatever money you have.

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 01:28:42 PM »

I did a hegemony/XIV playthrough once, and these things were the bread to my butter (xiv onslaughts). They are amazing ships. To this day I haven't had a fleet that can take on overwhelming odds as well as that one. If you are going to use them you should check surrounding systems for more of them, since they are clustered in a small area. That said make sure you put officers in them. You don't want to loose them if they get destroyed, because when you loose one you don't get any more. Personally I slapped them full of heavy fighters and light bombers so they could still do some damage themselves.