Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Couple of noob questions regarding colonies.  (Read 1486 times)

Benzin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Couple of noob questions regarding colonies.
« on: March 15, 2020, 06:30:32 PM »

Hello all, first post here, and relatively new to the game. Ibe only played it for a couple of weeks, and so far, i am absolutely in love with it.

I just built my first two colonies. I have food production, heavy industry, refining, mining. And so far they are doing OK. Except for the ocasional pirate raid (wich i usually smash) and i have a couple of questions...

1.- It is my understanding that labeling my colonies as "Free ports" will eventually upset other factions? Is it worth it? the bonuses for doing so seem tasty, but i dont want to have everyvbody constantly launching raids against my colonies because they are upset.
So, will everyone get upset if i set them as free ports? and, if so, is it worth it?

2.- How many colonies should i aim for? Ibe read that the more colonies you have, the more other factions hate you. What would you guys say is the "limit" between having a good number of colonies, with a decent income, and having so many that you are in conflict with everyone?

Just one more thing, please. Im not 100% sure i understand, What exactly the "Commerce" industry does? will it generate some income, or is it just a market i can sell / buy stuff with?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of noob questions regarding colonies.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 06:41:23 PM »

Hello all, first post here, and relatively new to the game. Ibe only played it for a couple of weeks, and so far, i am absolutely in love with it.

welcome to the forums

I just built my first two colonies. I have food production, heavy industry, refining, mining. And so far they are doing OK. Except for the ocasional pirate raid (wich i usually smash) and i have a couple of questions...

1.- It is my understanding that labeling my colonies as "Free ports" will eventually upset other factions? Is it worth it? the bonuses for doing so seem tasty, but i dont want to have everyvbody constantly launching raids against my colonies because they are upset.
So, will everyone get upset if i set them as free ports? and, if so, is it worth it?

only Luddic Church and Hegemony use Free port as a reson to attack you, in fact that's the only way the Church can send any expedition at all, so if you really don't care about them you are basically free to use it;

2.- How many colonies should i aim for? Ibe read that the more colonies you have, the more other factions hate you. What would you guys say is the "limit" between having a good number of colonies, with a decent income, and having so many that you are in conflict with everyone?

it depends on how much Alpha cores you want to use as a governor and how many colonies skills you get for me it is around 5, but you might want more or less;

Just one more thing, please. Im not 100% sure i understand, What exactly the "Commerce" industry does? will it generate some income, or is it just a market i can sell / buy stuff with?

it'll add a market were you can buy and sell ships and weapons, sometimes for lower the price of geting it from the colony stockpile, but you will pay 30% tax for all the items you buy there;

Thanks in advance for your advice!

you are welcome

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 09:59:17 PM »

How many colonies should i aim for? Ibe read that the more colonies you have, the more other factions hate you.

The question should be "How many systems should I aim?". Why? One faction will not organize more than one raid into one system at the same time, no matter how many planets they hate in that system. Pirates will not spawn another player-related pirate base if one already exist. Destroying one, you will clear "pirate activity" from all planets in a system. Same thing to Luddic Path cells. Ground defense strength is separate to planets, but fleet strength are additive, so numerous colonies grants fleet protection from any hostile activity.

So, the answer is: "You should aim single system, better if it contain many planets". You can have a dozen planets in one system and factions will not hate you more than a virtual single planet, containing all the industries your system does.

1. Not everyone.
2. Yes, it is worth it. Especially, for initial colony growth boost. On a larger colonies it will give a significant export income from illegal commodities. Relation decrease? Well, yes. But it can be improved fast by bounties and giving an AI cores to faction leaders. Or you can switch it off anytime.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Benzin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 05:51:09 PM »

Thanks guys for your warm welcome and tons of tips!

@pedro1_1:
So Commerce doesnt generate income, its just a local market to interact with. I was hoping it would give me some money as well. What i dont understand is, if i have to pay taxes on that market, who keeps those taxes? i would have assumed that i do.
I have changed to "free port" in both my colonies.

About using AI cores, i have some "Gama" ones, and a couple of nanoforge thingies, wich i have been postponing to use, i read that when you install them the hemegony starts throwing "inspections" on your colonies. But i think i will give it a shot.

@Mondaymonkey:
Yes, i have been looking for a system with more that one decent planet, but so far no luck  :'(
I was about to start a 3rd colony on another system, but i think i will wait untill i do more exploration, and (hopefully) find a system with more than one habitable planet. I think im gonna go with 5 colonies as pedro suggested.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 06:15:10 PM »

Thanks guys for your warm welcome and tons of tips!

@pedro1_1:
So Commerce doesnt generate income, its just a local market to interact with. I was hoping it would give me some money as well. What i dont understand is, if i have to pay taxes on that market, who keeps those taxes? i would have assumed that i do.
I have changed to "free port" in both my colonies.

About using AI cores, i have some "Gama" ones, and a couple of nanoforge thingies, wich i have been postponing to use, i read that when you install them the hemegony starts throwing "inspections" on your colonies. But i think i will give it a shot.

the Nanoforge and Sincotron Core are legal items, meaning you can use them safely, AI coresdo call inspections, but you can bribe them, and in mass, AI cores can make so much money in a single colony, it is not like 0.8.1a days were you could get 500k with the corret skills and core placement, but it is really nice

Benzin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 07:01:30 PM »

the Nanoforge and Sincotron Core are legal items, meaning you can use them safely, AI coresdo call inspections, but you can bribe them, and in mass, AI cores can make so much money in a single colony, it is not like 0.8.1a days were you could get 500k with the corret skills and core placement, but it is really nice
Very interesting! i have a nanoforge that increases fuel production by +3. And being that i just built a fuel producing facility on one of the colonies, it will come in handy!
Im gonna install it.

Im also gonna give the "gamma" cores a try.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 03:11:31 AM »

Wait doesn't the Hegemony only react to an AI administrator? So far they havent cared about cores assigned to production/infrastructure in any of my games.
The Luddic path will dislike it and create cells giving -1 stability but that's it.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 06:07:18 AM »

Wait doesn't the Hegemony only react to an AI administrator? So far they havent cared about cores assigned to production/infrastructure in any of my games.
The Luddic path will dislike it and create cells giving -1 stability but that's it.

no, they react to all cores, but use of cores on an industry will call expeditions but much less frequently

Benzin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »

AI Administrator? You mean the NPCs you hire to run the colonies? They get mad at those!?

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 07:47:48 PM »

AI Administrator? You mean the NPCs you hire to run the colonies? They get mad at those!?

no, he means the Alpha core we use to boost the colonies

Benzin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 07:54:29 PM »

no, he means the Alpha core we use to boost the colonies
Ah, Ok. I tought he meant the NPC administrators!
Thanks