Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Hyperion: what should be done to make it more atractive to players  (Read 2287 times)

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile

So I was having some fun whith the Nex Hyperion spawn sunday, and one thing I noticed is that it is in a bad position in vanila, I mean it is the stronguest frigate in game by desing, but by the time you are able to get one, you either: have a full capital fleet or have enought colonies making ships that you don't really care about which ship you will be using, if not both, which kinda ruins the whole point of the Hyperion, which is that of a super ship that can take out a small capital fleet alone kinda meh, because by that time the player would either be bored of the save, or going for multifleet combat, maybe the apeal will be better next update, since one of the objectives of the update is to decrease the avarege fleet size.

If that fails what should be done to it?

One thing is for sure: it has one of the best systems in the game, you can cross the map in 10-20 seconds, can shoot from the ship on frame 5 after the teleport and them teleport away.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:08:20 PM by pedro1_1 »

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperion: what should be done to make it more atractive to players
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 03:31:51 AM »

Pretty much the Hyperion is meant for a special niche group of vanilla players who use mobile glass cannons with reaction and awareness you normally find with hardcore shoot-em-up/bullet hell players. But for mod players, there's always the freaking Excelsior using plasma flux as a weapon and means of defending itself by shunting that into its phase cloak and repair systems.

The Hyperion at its current state requires fine-tuned fits and skills to make it work.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 04:45:13 PM »

I probably would use Hyperion more if it either had more PPT or lowered costs.  Right now, it cannot do enough before it runs out of PPT (even with Hardened Subsystems and Combat Endurance 1) and needs to retreat.

Afflictor is overpowered and cheaper to use than Hyperion.  Hyperion needs to be better than Afflictor.

It does not help that AI is incompetent at killing things with it.  As a player ship, it is impractical compared to other options.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 06:40:56 PM »

I probably would use Hyperion more if it either had more PPT or lowered costs.  Right now, it cannot do enough before it runs out of PPT (even with Hardened Subsystems and Combat Endurance 1) and needs to retreat.

Afflictor is overpowered and cheaper to use than Hyperion.  Hyperion needs to be better than Afflictor.

It does not help that AI is incompetent at killing things with it.  As a player ship, it is impractical compared to other options.
Arguably afflictor should be weaker (or more expensive) as once you realize how easy it is to one shot ships with such a hull, it becomes obvious how good the afflictor is at it.

I do wish the hyperion had something...else..going for it?  Super alpha striker is niffty  but a little one dimensional, and Megas is right in that having to retreat it so fast forces it to be an alpha striker (something with ion pulses for fun just isn't worth the effort)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 06:48:21 PM »

I've been doing some work on this, actually; my initial notion was to give it the Scarab's temporal shell and boost its PPT.  (The teleporter is neat, but obnoxious to use in combat, obnoxious to fight against, and makes allied AI-controlled Hyperions have an annoying tendency to randomly explode when they teleport into the path of a projectile and can't get shields up fast enough.  As such, from the point of view of a modder, it's a lost cause, and shouldn't be used as a ship system.)

This makes the Hyperion reasonably effective, but has run into two flaws:
1: It's not actually fun to fly like this.
2: Giving it a large amount of extra PPT strongly devalues its small missile slots.

So I've been trying to reverse-engineer the gameplay pattern of DME's Brave Blade class super-frigate, which actually is fun to fly - but I don't have any (usable) results yet.  (In part because the Brave Blade is an irreplaceable one-off, while the Hyperion can be manufactured and deployed in numbers - this means that the Brave Blade can safely be tuned to be more powerful than it's safe to make the Hyperion.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 04:40:12 AM »

Biggest issue with Hyperion is that it has very low PPT and it doesn't have much staying power. These factors steer it towards a role of a frigate-sized bomber. It's like a phase frigate, but a bit safer. However, it cannot compete with other phase ships (mainly Afflictor, really), as it doesn't have much more total power, while being nearly twice as expensive. It's only unique property, nearly-instantaneous tactical mobility, is useful only during pursuits, in which case you are most likely using 15 DP frigate to catch 4-5 DP ones.
For my elite frigate needs, I very much prefer flying Tempest. Can somewhat strike every now and then, thanks to its system, and isn't ridiculously expensive.

Madao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 05:15:09 AM »

This makes the Hyperion reasonably effective, but has run into two flaws:
1: It's not actually fun to fly like this.
2: Giving it a large amount of extra PPT strongly devalues its small missile slots.

Twin Antimatter Hyperion vs a 6 or so ships plus a capital never gets old for me at least. Will I run out of ammo, CR or health first, or will I walk away with an immaculate victory.. I love the Hyperion for late game fun, I get it all sorted out so I start approaching combat like the Clans from Battletech and try to leave with the smallest weakest fleet. Then under deploy every time and fight against dropping CR. Love it. Bonus points to the record for every ship that makes it back to home base once the expeditions up.

F.B.I

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 07:51:56 AM »

i want it on capital ship size

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 11:54:13 AM »

i want it on capital ship size