Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blue planetary shields  (Read 3558 times)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
Blue planetary shields
« on: March 09, 2020, 03:17:30 AM »

Simply put... i dont like red at the best of times, and i found the planetary shields a particular eyesore. So i whipped up a half-assed solution to my problem simply changing the mesh and the icon on the planet screen. if you want to use these pics simply download this this and this, rename them both planetary_shield, and drop the former into your starsector-core/graphics/planets folder, and the latter into your starsector-core/graphics/icons/industry folder. note that this will not affect the icon or text of the 'red planet' event, though i expect it will make the planet look like this too. I realize this is not a proper mod, but i lack the know how for that, and figured it looked good enough to be worth sharing

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 03:57:59 AM by Stormy Fairweather »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Blue planetary shields
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 03:31:32 AM »

Links are the same.

Totally agree on the red shield.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 03:55:03 AM »

sorry about that, fixed the link.

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 11:15:21 AM »

Is that administrator portrait from a mod? I'm pretty sure its in a different style from vanilla. If so, which mod is that?

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 11:59:13 AM »

yeah, i use 'interesting portraits pack' and 'another portrait pack'. dont know offhand which thats from. i find these two packs mesh well with vanilla

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 04:05:42 PM »

I'd like to request an "invisible" planetary shield, or at least a "less intrusive" planetary shield, the reason for this being that i like watching my planets at their natural colors and the fact that they have a red hue really kills this variety.

Thanks!

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 04:12:40 PM »

i made this mesh as transparent as i could without it vanishing entirely. in my testing to get rid of the effect i tried using one of the cloud meshes in place of the planetary_shield, and it worked just fine. that would likely do exactly what you are looking for (just copy one of the clouds and rename it to planetary_shield, in the same graphics/planets folder)

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 04:15:05 PM »

i made this mesh as transparent as i could without it vanishing entirely. in my testing to get rid of the effect i tried using one of the cloud meshes in place of the planetary_shield, and it worked just fine. that would likely do exactly what you are looking for (just copy one of the clouds and rename it to planetary_shield, in the same graphics/planets folder)

Alright, i'll give it a try, if this works as you mention you'll be my new favorite person. ;)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 04:19:21 PM »

you could likely just edit one of the meshes in mspaint to be pure white, game reads that as transparent far as i can tell. i originally wanted the same thing as you, but after tinkering, i ended up liking the blue shields, once i made em a bit more transparant so you could still see the planets beneath em. the second pic doesnt really do that justice, since the cryo world was already blue

anyway, hope it helps

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 04:23:53 PM »

you could likely just edit one of the meshes in mspaint to be pure white, game reads that as transparent far as i can tell. i originally wanted the same thing as you, but after tinkering, i ended up liking the blue shields, once i made em a bit more transparant so you could still see the planets beneath em. the second pic doesnt really do that justice, since the cryo world was already blue

anyway, hope it helps

To be fair, after some thinking, i think i'm starting to like the blue considering that the player faction is blue anyways, so the colors match and i'm all about matching themes.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 10:22:40 AM »

Dude, you inspired me. Great thanks!

Here is a result.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 11:01:58 AM »

good show. the blue going so transparent was why i had a little more opacity to mine, and you didnt make icons for the planet screen. feel free to use the blue one i already whipped up if you like

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 11:20:13 AM »

the blue going so transparent

They are exactly same transparent. It is just a water planet blue itself. I made a bad choice using it as sample.

you didnt make icons for the planet screen

That is doable. I am not sure if someone cares about it. I will fasten it later.

Perhaps add some colors.
[close]
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 12:30:41 PM »

heh, the red icon triggered me when i only changed the shield. mebbe a full rainbow version too XD