Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Zilarric Usurpation (in need of a patient and skilled spriter[pm for info])  (Read 18937 times)

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile

Hello everyone, I'm deciding whether to discontinue the mod publicly and only use it for myself since no one really seems eager for it. Or to publicly release it, once it is finished, which may never happen due to my horrible spriting.

NOTE: This mod is in heavy thought, and most things will change (esspecially how crappy the sprites look). I am doing this in my spare time, and I won't rework the OP until Further in development. Just remember that everything is still in it's early stages.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:29:59 AM by Zilerrezko »

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: The Zilarr (Idea for a new race)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 01:00:01 PM »

Quote from: Zilerrezko
-have custom engines to be green for the Zilarr ships

As far as I can figure, there's three pre-inserted engine flare types. I'm skeptical custom ones can be made at this point.

-have a custom turret with custom bullets (and custom animation) for a green corrosive liquid disperse on impact (sounds wrong  Undecided) and for a, damage over time to occur to the Armor in the impact area, and then eat through the hull. But when hitting the shields, the effect is nullified and only the shell causes damage to the shields.

There's nothing pre-existing that can do that, so you'd need to modify the source code. Hell of an undertaking if it's even possible. Can certainly make the animations though.

-Have custom missile turrets (really torpedo tubes) and shoot a few different kinds of missiles. A dumb torpedo (or missile) that shoots straight forward, a more advanced one that follows a target with fast speed, and an even more advanced one that analyzes trajectory and tries to intercept the target through pathing (starts off slow but once analyzed speeds up to very fast speed).  I would love if there were 2 types, one with the corrosive acid, and another with an emp burst again shields.

Covered the Acid. The rest is doable except the pathing. I'm not really sure that there's any effective trajectory analysis in the game yet; especially if how the AI uses long-range ballistic weapons is any indication.

I have made only one Fighter so far, I just cranked it out to give myself an idea of what the general theme of The Zilarr will be like, haven't named it yet but here it is

Nice sprite. Sorta like Half Necrons, Half Cylons.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »

the engine glow is harcoded, IIRC, there is no "analysis" guidance system inplace for missiles now (unless you are willing to do some Ai coding? :)) and as far as i know, anything else can be made custom.

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 01:13:03 PM »

the engine glow is harcoded, IIRC, there is no "analysis" guidance system inplace for missiles now (unless you are willing to do some Ai coding? :)) and as far as i know, anything else can be made custom.

Personally, I think AI work is way over my head. ^^; I'm still at the, "Copy, paste, edit things that look like they matter," stage of code. Though if you direct me to the files, I suppose I could have a look. <.<

As for "anything else" I don't think there's anything in place for the sort of DOT effect he's looking for. Am I wrong? Or is that something you think we could wriggle in after all?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »

Well, DOT effects aren't inplace now, so even if you made those lines of codes possible, you'd have to change the core java coding to support such effects. And as for editing AI, that's a very complex procedure which requiers much handtyping, and no screwups, else the ai is just going havoc.  But animation effects are possible to make, but so far, only on weapons, like for instance, the reload on a weapon. Though animation on ship is not inplace now.

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »

hmm Necrons and Cylon? Sounds like a win to me!

Yeah, it sounds like I can't have a lot of these things to be done, hopefully someone who is willing to defy the laws of coding can find a way for the engines to be colored, I don't know it seems like something that would be easy. But i'm no AI coder, I'm no scripter or modder. Wish I was! It might save me from a whole big Credits list at the time when this thing is finished xD.

btw I got my first 2 dollar bill yesterday, just puttin that out there.

So, I really don't understand. What do you mean by "hardcoded"? (sorry don't know how to quote, like I said I'm stupid xD)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »

"Hardcoded" means that the color or stats is coded directly into the gamengine,and that way, a mod can't go around it or create a new harcoding.

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »

hmm, that is it tough cookie  :-\

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »

well, in the meantime i'll draw up some ships, then choose some for sprites. But i'll work on fighters first, if I can i'll maybe make one or two bigger ships

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 06:28:05 PM »

Just had an interesting missile animation idea. Is it possible to conceal a missile, and then make it look like a rack of missiles sliding out of a hatch? Like some James bond type thing, thinkin' it would be awesome.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 07:25:51 PM »

I like the style very much and i hope I can put this one in my mod as soon as possible!

Keep up the good work

;)

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »

Thanks! Though it may be a while, I'm just going to work on sprites for now, until I feel Comfortable that it's playable. I just hope this mod is successful :/

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 11:54:08 PM »

thinking of, at least just for now, adding a new damage texture if I can for the corrosive liquid. Also thinking of naming this corrosive liquid because it seems weird saying it. I shall call it "Korrosiboak"!

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 12:06:46 AM »

Fiddled with your sprite because it's 3am and I'm bored.

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 12:20:55 AM »

Fiddled with your sprite because it's 3am and I'm bored.
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/084/e/2/jaffox_by_durendal5150-d4tueaf.png

Very nice, I like the boarder around the engines, and I may have to do what you did and lighten up the edges to a grey, just because black may look a bit weird, but once I throw it into the game, I'll start adding different things on it to fit a theme that I had better pictured in my mind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4