Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Shield colour based on flux capacity  (Read 1221 times)

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Shield colour based on flux capacity
« on: March 07, 2020, 12:53:32 AM »

Based on this topic right here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18137.0

Shield colouring themselves has no real game-play value as it doesn't accurately display good or bad shields when used.

So I figure why not tie shield colour to the % of flux a ship has built up, moving from stable low flux blue to critical flux orange/red when you are about to overload.

This could be a good way of telling the player if a ship is close to the breaking point at a glance without the need of a stat bar, much like how an armour broken ship visually looks like it is shattered.

If I haven't presented the idea properly then please assist me below. Thoughts?
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Shield colour based on flux capacity
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 01:25:42 AM »

Honestly I was more drawn to the first suggestion there where shield color would show the effectiveness of said shields, I think that's also important to know in battles since it makes a world of difference. Idk, personally I've never had issues looking at flux bars but if it would help a large number of players, I'm all for it.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 01:39:33 AM »

That is also a good idea, at leas in my opinion.

Especially if say my shield would change colour based upon having hardened shields that changes just how effective they are.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 07:34:25 AM »

I'm personally just a big fan of using visual effects rather than UI to communicate stuff to the player. I love the damaged armor look in the game, it's one of my favorite things, and it would be cool to have a similar effect on shields. Color is an easy way to do it, but you could also do it with textures or effects (like cracks, flickering, static etc.)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 07:47:36 AM »

To convey both the efficiency of shields and the ship's flux level, colour of the shield could be used for the former and (lack of) transparency for the former. An Enforcer's shield would be red and fade into transparency quickly at 0 flux, but would be very saturated and eye catching at high flux level.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 08:39:46 AM »

An Enforcer's shield would be red and fade into transparency quickly at 0 flux, but would be very saturated and eye catching at high flux level.

Not like that. Seeing exact shield arc currently deployed is no less important, including at 0 flux.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 08:40:52 AM »

I think the edge of the shield could be unaffected

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 03:55:03 PM »

Coloring the shields as flux levels build would be kind of interesting for an "at-a-glance" representation of how soon they are to be forced to drop (or else overload). It's kind of game-y but SS combat is sorta arcade-like anyway.

I wouldn't make the shields more transparent or opaque as flux builds, however, for reasons previously stated. A bright blue (high-tech) shield might slowly change to indigo as it takes damage while a red (low-tech) shield might slowly change toward a hazard-yellow. Midline could go from white(ish) to red.

Of course, you still need to be able to allow for color change in things like the Fortress Shield.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 04:01:53 PM »

A radial gradient on the shield transparency (centred on the ship) would be able to convey flux level without compromising the visible bounds of the shield.

So as flux levels rise the shield would appear thicker or thinner, whichever is more intuitive.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 11:43:10 AM by TJJ »

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 08:04:14 AM »

Perhaps thin lines that emanate from the edge of the shield radially facing inwards that lengthens the more flux the shield has.